Just upgraded... time to ice the cake?

flyingfiddler

Hi all,

My wife and I share the PC for Office apps etc... and the only power hungry games on it are Zoo Tycoon 2 (for her) and MS Flight Sim 2004 (for me!)

So a month ago I went out and upgraded...

Old system:

AMD 2600+ XP (Socket A)

MSI KM4M-V systemboard

Onboard 64mb video card (after GeForce 5500 died)

1gb PC 2700 333 RAM

Upgraded system:

Intel Celereon 3.2ghz (Socket 775)

Abit SG-80DC systemboard

GeForce 6800 XT

1gb PC 2700 333 RAM

I installed in my old case and fired it up with no problems. Now I've been reading up on this video card and it requires (as stated on the site at least) a 500w power supply, my power supply is on 400w so I'm now planning on getting a new case and power supply. The case is OK but the the front temperature display has been dead for a while and one of the front usb ports is very flakey. I have my eyes set on an Ultra Grid case at my local tigerdirect.ca store.

As part of a package promo... they are throwing in a 512mb PC3200 memory stick for $30 to sweeten the deal. I happen to have a spare PC3200 512mb stick collecting dust here.

So my question after all my ranting... PC2700 1gig or PC3200 1gig... will there be a difference??

Edit: One last detail... my 400w power supply is VERY noisy so I'm happy to see it go :) Hence I'm willing to spend for the Ultra Grid case... apparently it's SOLID and the new power supply is quiet!!

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by flyingfiddler

I have my eyes set on an Ultra Grid case at my local tigerdirect.ca store.

Did you see that case in the store or only online? I would leave it as it is and go for a CoolerMaster or Antec case with an Enermax or Antec power supply of 430W or more, that would be enough for the 7900GT and your Celeron CPU.