98MP10 = WMP10 XP + XP SP3 Killer Replacements

MDGx

• 1 month later...

Hi MDGx!

I just got through a new 98SE install including 98MP10. I wanted to tell you about a thing in this program, and also a thing in 98SE2ME that I'll put up in that thread.

For this one, I got a missing DLL that apparently has to do with splash screens. After using 98MP10 and starting the SBLive 5.1 Liveware install I got a, ""required DLL file was not found MSASN1.DLL."

I ignored it and it all installed fine, but at restart after the Liveware install I got the error again, along with, "Ctavstub-illegal operation-exception in ASDXM.OCX."

Well, since it happened twice I went into System File Checker and extracted MSASN1.DLL from the 98SE install files and had it put it into the System folder.

Seemed to do the trick as on the bootup following I got the annoying Creative music and, "EAX," pronouncement.

I have no idea about that ASDXM.OCX and since I didn't get any more errors I'm ignoring that one.

I'll post the 98SE2ME thing in that thread. Hey! So far things are working.

Well now, things are still going nicely following using Auto-Patcher again to install the latest updates included in the new August version.

In addition to what I reported about earlier, I do want to mention that I had forgotten about that old Windows Media 7 Bonus Pack (or, even the 9 version one your pack used to install at one time). I've always wondered whether stuff from that had anything to do with assorted problems that I'd encounter, and also recall that running the 7 Bonus Pack installer after using 98MP10 resulted in it failing to complete installation.

Since it's not a need, I haven't bothered with it. But I remember there were some nice skins and visualizations, file converters, etc that would be nice to have. But again, not a necessity.

Was there a reason you took that newer 9 Bonus Pack out of the set at some point? Perhaps it caused some problem? I also remember that your version was the only way to get the 9 version of it to install on 98SE. Only the 7 version's installer would run on 98SE but you got around that somehow.

• 3 months later...
98MP10 · UPDATED · 12-27-2007

Woohoo! - You 'da man MDGx! - Another nice XP transplant. :lol:

98MP10 has worked well for me for some time now - it rocks!

Keep up the good work with 9x!

Happy New Year All! - Windows 9x alive and kicking in 2008! :thumbup

:(UPDATE: I installed the lastest 98MP10 and got a problem with two missing files.

I installed 98MP10, rebooted when prompted, and then got a missing CABINET.DLL file error when the desktop appeared.

I looked in the WININIT.BAK file and noticed that it had renamed CABINET.DLL and MSHTML.TLB to their .MP9 backup files but had not replaced them with anything...

I recall having the same problem when I installed the last August update but was not sure if it was a one off...

I have resolved the issue by copying the two .MP9 backups to their original files.

Edited by RetroOS

• 3 weeks later...
98MP10 · UPDATED · 12-27-2007

Woohoo! - You 'da man MDGx! - Another nice XP transplant. :lol:

98MP10 has worked well for me for some time now - it rocks!

Keep up the good work with 9x!

Happy New Year All! - Windows 9x alive and kicking in 2008! :thumbup

:(UPDATE: I installed the lastest 98MP10 and got a problem with two missing files.

I installed 98MP10, rebooted when prompted, and then got a missing CABINET.DLL file error when the desktop appeared.

I looked in the WININIT.BAK file and noticed that it had renamed CABINET.DLL and MSHTML.TLB to their .MP9 backup files but had not replaced them with anything...

I recall having the same problem when I installed the last August update but was not sure if it was a one off...

I have resolved the issue by copying the two .MP9 backups to their original files.

RetroOS, which version re u using? I still have the version from February last year because no releases since seem to play well. I should have mentioned to MDGx but never got around to it. Hey MDGx, what RetroOS said, i get the same messages. And i've tested this quite a bit, there's always the messages.

I believe I have fixed the CABINET.DLL + MSHTML.TLB install errors.

I have no way to test, because I don't have access to 98 SE after the computer crash 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for noticing those glitches. ;)

Please install again:

* 98MP10: Unofficial Windows Media Player 10.0 (WMP10) XP + XP SP2 WMP9 + XP SP1 IE 6.0 SP1 Killer Replacements for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME:

http://www.mdgx.com/98mp10/98mp10.php

Direct download [7.5 MB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/98mp10/98MP10.EXE

Windows 98 + 98 SP1 require Unofficial WMP9 [13.3 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/WMP90_98.EXE

already installed!

Requires WMP9 already installed:

http://www.mdgx.com/wmp.htm#WMP9

Do NOT install 98MP10 IF already installed WMP9URP:

http://www.mdgx.com/wmp.htm#URP

More info:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=89934

HTH

RetroOS, which version re u using? I still have the version from February last year because no releases since seem to play well. I should have mentioned to MDGx but never got around to it. Hey MDGx, what RetroOS said, i get the same messages. And i've tested this quite a bit, there's always the messages.

soporific, I was using August 2007 release, then December 2007 release. Both had the problem.

I believe I have fixed the CABINET.DLL + MSHTML.TLB install errors.

I have no way to test, because I don't have access to 98 SE after the computer crash 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for noticing those glitches. ;)

Please install again:

As always, MDGx delivers!

Much appreciation for another superlative release!

That fix worked a treat.

Thanks a lot MDGx. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
I have a updated version of wmvcore.dll 10.0.0.4054 thats installed with my WMP9 WinXP

version have you tested it?

No, wmvcore.dll 10.x.x.x [any build] does not work with Win9x OSes.

You must use wmvcore.dll 9.00.00.3355 , the most recent 9.x.x.x build to my knowledge.

HTH

• 2 months later...
Will you add MSVBVM60.DLL 6.0.9802 since it is a WinXp update?

PROBLEMCHYLD, this topic is for Windows Media Player.

MSVBVM60.DLL is a Visual Basic library and is not really part of any package.

It will probably be included in Auto-Patcher and Unofficial Service Pack.

• 2 months later...