DrvComp v2007.08.09

Roufneck

@Kingskawn

It compresses all needed files and stores thes in those folders. Not in 1 big file.

@godan

The inf file is too big. One of the short comings of programming in nsis.

Development is stopped for this. For two reasons:

1. I am using Vista installs only at the moment and it has an different and easier driver integration system.

2. As stated earlier, this program is written in NSIS. It started as a project to learn the NSIS language and possibilities. However, the program got bigger and started to hit the limitations of NSIS. Maybe when I have the time I rewrite the program to .net, C++ or another language. If someone feels like starting with this, the code is included in the first post.

• 1 month later...

I'm also getting errors:

Initializing Driver Compressor 2007.08.09.0947...

Source: 'C:\Documents and Settings\wheelerc\Desktop\DPBase\3rd party DriverPacks\Old\3'

OS source: 'G:\I386'

Destination: 'G:\I386\DRIVERS'

WHQL driver signing: 1

UseProvider: 0

Type: .x86

OS language: English (United States)

OS locale: EN_ENU (0409)

International drivers: 0

Integrate drivers: 1

Expanding cabinet files...

Removing attributes from files...

Scan INF files...

[+] \d520\video\autorun.inf

[+] \d510\Video\autorun.inf

[+] \d510\Video\Win2000\ialmnt5.inf

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Arabicigfxrara.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Danishigfxrdan.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Finishigfxrfin.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Hebrewigfxrheb.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Netherlandsigfxrnld.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Norwegianigfxrnor.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Polishigfxrplk.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Portugeseigfxrptg.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Russianigfxrrus.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Sweedishigfxrsve.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Thaiigfxrtha.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Czechoslovakianigfxrcsy.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Greekigfxrell.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Hungarianigfxrhun.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Turkishigfxrtrk.lrc

WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\""igfxdgps.dll

[+] \270\Video\autorun.inf

Removing temp dirs...

Compressing cabinet files...

Integrating drivers...

ialmnt5.inf

Edited by Radimus

• 4 weeks later...
Development is stopped for this. For two reasons:

1. I am using Vista installs only at the moment and it has an different and easier driver integration system.

2. As stated earlier, this program is written in NSIS. It started as a project to learn the NSIS language and possibilities. However, the program got bigger and started to hit the limitations of NSIS. Maybe when I have the time I rewrite the program to .net, C++ or another language. If someone feels like starting with this, the code is included in the first post.

What does vista use if you don't mind telling? I would love to add the ability for my DriverForge program to install for both systems.

The directory DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053\D\L\AL has two files a1kxp32.inf and a1kxp32.sys

When I select DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053\D\L\AL as the source and start the compression I get the files a1kxp32.inf and a1kxp32.sy_ in the destination.

When there's no a1kxp32.sys file in the destination or if it is deleted, why doesnot Driver Compressor show any warning?

The directory DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053\D\L\AL has two files a1kxp32.inf and a1kxp32.sys

When I select DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053\D\L\AL as the source and start the compression I get the files a1kxp32.inf and a1kxp32.sy_ in the destination.

When there's no a1kxp32.sys file in the destination or if it is deleted, why doesnot Driver Compressor show any warning?

It doesn't check the destination. It only reads the source inf files, copies the necessary files and when ready compresses files in the destination dir.

What does vista use if you don't mind telling? I would love to add the ability for my DriverForge program to install for both systems.

If I understand correctly, your program does post-windows-install installation. I was referring to integrating drivers into images.

I am extremely very sorry.

I m not that good in English.

What i should have written is :

When there's no a1kxp32.sys file in the source or if it is deleted, why doesnot Driver Compressor show any warning?

I wrote destination instead of writing source.

Waiting for your reply.

AL.7z

Edited by xtranophilist

I've looked it up in the source code. It doesn't give a warning for .com, .sys, .dos, .vxd.

.sys was mostly used for windows earlier then XP. In the driverpacks were a lot of XP drivers who had very bad written .inf files. They included a lot of older files from previous windows. The easiest solution then was to disable the warnings for .sys.

So basically it was to suppress the huge amount of warnings with compressing the driverpacks.

Edited by Roufneck

Thanks for the quick reply.

But I see .sys files in almost all drivers for XP and Vista.

One more question.

I have attached a driver.

There are two files - ax88140.inf and ax88140.sys

ax88140.inf has no SourceDisksFiles Section.

But it has:

[AX88140.CopyFiles]
AX88140.sys,,,2

[DestinationDirs]
AX88140.CopyFiles = 12

Driver Compressor doesnot copy the file ax88140.sys into destination.

Is this OK?

Are only files from SourceDiskFiles section required?

Thanks in advance again.

AS3.7z

Edited by xtranophilist

Hehe, disregard what I said about '.sys was mostly used for windows earlier then XP'. It's been a while since I digged into this. But I did suppress the .sys warnings because of the million warnings in the driverpacks.

Like I said before, a lot of .inf files are very badly written. How some of them work, I still don't know. If I remember correctly, on the msdn site it said somewhere the .inf files need a SourceDiskFiles section. DrvComp only looks into this SourceDiskFiles section. It is impossible to add all the exceptions by hand for the badly written .inf files.

So if you need to compress other drivers, copy them by hand to the destination folder and DrvComp will still compress them for you.

• 1 month later...

@Roufneck

Firstly, thank you so much for this wonderfull tool of yours, it's very much appreciated, mate :)

Second, then i would like to make a feature-request to you about if you would maybe consider adding an option for not compressing the drivers, but just doing the other steps i.e. parsing the inf's and copying over only the referenced files...

I think this would be a very nice addition, since i believe that there are lots of people(like me), which uses your tool for filtering out unneeded files and then afterwards uncabs the cabbed files, since they either install drivers uncompressed directly from disc, or using 7-Zip'ed drivers...

Btw, in the documentation you state that cat files are not needed if you disable WFP, but i would suggest that you change that, since driver signing is seperate from WFP and since cat files also influences driver ratings...

I myself remove cat files and also disable WFP, but it was just a thought, so as to make sure that newbies understand the impact of that option better...