DrvComp v2007.08.09

Roufneck

after compress how can i use the compress driver to my xp cd?

I use a modified version of this: Drivers From CD (Simple Method)

Basically I put the drivers in $OEM$\.drivers. This auto copies the driver to the windir. And with the batch file I then integrate the drivers with SetupCopyOEMInf.exe. And I scan every HD and CD for \.drivers and integrate those as well. This way I can those to leave the drivers on the CD, copy them to the windir or even use the latest drivers from the HD.

I hope it makes sense. Anyway, if you compress the main BTS driver packs (not the b/c sound and display packs you can have winxp, drivers and some basic programs like firefox on 1 CD.

I believe I found two bugs with the Razer/Copperhead drivers. Firstly it seems to copy & compress the files ~43 times; this happens if either the copy cat files option is selected or not. Second bug is that when you select the Provider Disk Structure, it copies and structures the files properly, but Windows bluescreens at the moment you close DrvComp.

The attached file has the DrvComp log and the Copperhead drivers if you want to take a look.

Edit: A few minutes after I posted this, I randomly got the same bluescreen. So while it was caused by DrvComp, it is quite probable that my system already had some other problem. It would still be useful if somebody could test for the second bug.

dvrcomp.bug.7z

Edited by dxdisaster

I believe I found two bugs with the Razer/Copperhead drivers. Firstly it seems to copy & compress the files ~43 times; this happens if either the copy cat files option is selected or not. Second bug is that when you select the Provider Disk Structure, it copies and structures the files properly, but Windows bluescreens at the moment you close DrvComp.

The attached file has the DrvComp log and the Copperhead drivers if you want to take a look.

Edit: A few minutes after I posted this, I randomly got the same bluescreen. So while it was caused by DrvComp, it is quite probable that my system already had some other problem. It would still be useful if somebody could test for the second bug.

Thanx for the feedback. You used the destination dir as a subdir from the source. This causes a loop back. Try this:

Source: 'C:\Progs\Razer\Copperhead\Driver'

Destination: 'C:\Progs\Razer\Copperhead\Comp'

In the mean time I guess I have to rewrite the dir checking code.

• 1 month later...

would it be possible to add the functionality to then modify the txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf appropriately. let say you also move them to i386\custdrv directory as well with those added adjustments to the above mentioned files. This way you compess drivers and add them to windows source. Two files that may need to keep in mind is the sfcfiles.dll and syssetup.dll.

Wow I like this very much. Its working on multilanguage drivers :thumbup

From the readme:

Copies catalog diles as well. Needed for WHQL driver signing. You don't need

this if you have patched SFC.

Thats mean to keep the WHQL driver signing?

Maybe is it possible to add a functional option to the program to remove helpfiles from drivers. Most people don't use offline helpfiles.

2th: this program would be perfectly if there is an option to add the current settings of your drivers (like device control etc.) to the compressed driver on an easy way. Maybe it sounds to hard.

My 93.71_forceware_winxp2k_international_whql is unpacked 66 MB and compressed 20,7 MB.

But my Creative SBA_PCDRV_LB_1_04_0061 is unpacked 64,8 MB and compressed 3,13 MB.

Is this normal? Of lose I my Creative EAX-Console, Creative Soundssettings and Creative Device Control?

Thats no problem if i can add my current settings for my sound driver of these 3 programs in the compressed driver as I say. ;)

Thanks in advantage

would it be possible to add the functionality to then modify the txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf appropriately. let say you also move them to i386\custdrv directory as well with those added adjustments to the above mentioned files. This way you compess drivers and add them to windows source. Two files that may need to keep in mind is the sfcfiles.dll and syssetup.dll.

I don't have much experience adding drivers like this, but I can look into this. What I do at the moment is compressing the BTS driver packs, copy the drivers with my $OEM$ dir to the windows dir and integrate the INF files before the install driver detection. Or integrate directly from the CD.

Copies catalog files as well. Needed for WHQL driver signing. You don't need this if you have patched SFC.

Thats mean to keep the WHQL driver signing?

Yes, it does. I will change this to make it clearer.

Maybe is it possible to add a functional option to the program to remove helpfiles from drivers. Most people don't use offline helpfiles.

I need to do some experimenting with this. I know in general you don't need these files. But I don't know what happens if I remove them from the INF files.

2th: this program would be perfectly if there is an option to add the current settings of your drivers (like device control etc.) to the compressed driver on an easy way. Maybe it sounds to hard.

Interesting idea and probably not impossible. Don't know if it is usefull. The idea is to make 1 CD for several different PC's, with different hardware. I have to look into the default settings and see if I can come up with some tuning options / detection. But I will keep in mind that they have to work on other PC's as well.

My 93.71_forceware_winxp2k_international_whql is unpacked 66 MB and compressed 20,7 MB.

But my Creative SBA_PCDRV_LB_1_04_0061 is unpacked 64,8 MB and compressed 3,13 MB.

Is this normal? Of lose I my Creative EAX-Console, Creative Soundssettings and Creative Device Control?

DrvComp looks into the inf file and copies all files in that. Meaning, it uses exactly the same files as if you would get a popup from the auto install wizard and you point to a directory with the proper inf and install files. What installers (.exe .msi) can do extra is adding consoles and extra tools or programs. This can't be done with DrvComp. You need to find out what the command line options are for silent install and run this after installing XP or do this manually.

If you don't want all the international help files from nvidia, use the english version in stead. If you compress this, you don't get all the unwanted helpfiles and it can compress to 8.56 MB (version 94.24).

I need to do some experimenting with this. I know in general you don't need these files. But I don't know what happens if I remove them from the INF files.

Take a look here. This batch file deletes unneeded helpfiles (of all: all options are optional :D ) and more unneeded files

Interesting idea and probably not impossible. Don't know if it is usefull. The idea is to make 1 CD for several different PC's, with different hardware. I have to look into the default settings and see if I can come up with some tuning options / detection. But I will keep in mind that they have to work on other PC's as well.

I have checked it and found all the settings of my sound driver in the register. So, that must not to be too difficult. Standard setting of my EAX-console is without Stereosurround. The sounds is without real crap. And the driver will be only installed for Creative Audigy SE Windows XP (Dutch) soundcards. So, if I had more pc's with the exactly that card and OS, I want on that pc surround sound. And keep in mind, give users choice with the optional option to integrate current settings. If you don't want; you don't get.

DrvComp looks into the inf file and copies all files in that. Meaning, it uses exactly the same files as if you would get a popup from the auto install wizard and you point to a directory with the proper inf and install files.

I've checked it and saw that every program has an apart folder and an apart inf file. That why the driver is so little. Now i integrate it in nLite in 4 parts. It would be nice if i can make it one, but yeah :blushing:

If you don't want all the international help files from nvidia, use the english version in stead. If you compress this, you don't get all the unwanted helpfiles and it can compress to 8.56 MB (version 94.24).

I think I need a Dutch Control Panel. :o

I added (beta) support for nVidia international drivers with auto language detection of the host OS. I know the language selection doesn't work if your OS language is not supported by nVidia. Can someone please test this option?

I have checked it and found all the settings of my sound driver in the register. So, that must not to be too difficult. Standard setting of my EAX-console is without Stereosurround. The sounds is without real crap. And the driver will be only installed for Creative Audigy SE Windows XP (Dutch) soundcards. So, if I had more pc's with the exactly that card and OS, I want on that pc surround sound. And keep in mind, give users choice with the optional option to integrate current settings. If you don't want; you don't get.

I've looked into the inf files of several drivers. I think its gonna take a lot of time. The main problem is, how do I know what to change and what can be changed without messing up the installation.

An other problem is that some inf files are written very badly. I have to come up with some code to detect all the registry settings in a lot of different inf files that are written by different programmers.

You are talking about 1 option only: Stereo surround. If it is only about a few options, I think its better to patch the registry after installation (run once) and leave the inf files alone or if that is not an option for you, edit the inf files manually.

This doesn't mean I wont add this in the future. It only means that I will think about it and when I find a solution, I will add it.

Hey! Thanks for the update man

I've tested the new version and founds something

At first I compress my unpacked driver with v2007.07.17.

At second I grab the driver that I use now, with DriverGrabber from Siginet, and then I've compressed it with v2007.07.17.

The maps were exactly the same except a few multilanguage files (not all multilanguage files!). I think this files will be used for the installation procedure of helpfiles.

List of files:

- nv3dNLD.chm

- nvcplnld.chm

- NVCPNL.HL_

- nvdspNLD.chm

- nvmobNLD.chm

- NVRSNL.dll

- nvwcpnl.hl_

- nvwrsnl.dll

You must know my current installed driver is also multilanguage and installed on the normal way. So if its normal that I miss these files, then they can removed with DrvComp also, or not?

For a reason I don't understand I can't use this drive compressor to test of there are maybe other things that can removed. Maybe you can test it?

I've looked into the inf files of several drivers. I think its gonna take a lot of time. The main problem is, how do I know what to change and what can be changed without messing up the installation.

An other problem is that some inf files are written very badly. I have to come up with some code to detect all the registry settings in a lot of different inf files that are written by different programmers.

I think i understand the problem in general. At first is hard to find the right regfiles (but that can the user do by himself) and at second it is often hard to convert regfiles to .inf on the right way. So I've searched and founded a program that can do that. Here is the Reg2Inf converter from n7Epsilon. The source code is included in the zip file, to make it easy.

But its your program and time. Its just a linkage to help you.

The maps were exactly the same except a few multilanguage files (not all multilanguage files!). I think this files will be used for the installation procedure of helpfiles.

If you mean that these files are missing from the drivers grabbed with DriverGrabber, that is possible. Because it does the same as DriverCompressor. Checking for files in the inf and copy those.

These extra 8 files you add with DriverCompressor are the multi language files. These are not in the copy section in the inf file and must be added with an other routine like I did. If these files are missing, the driver will fall back to english. To remove these files, unclick the international driver support option I added. You will loose the dutch language support though (I think).

For a reason I don't understand I can't use this drive compressor to test of there are maybe other things that can removed. Maybe you can test it?

I think it is because the program works completely different than mine. You probably only can use it with the standard unpacked setup file. DriverCompressor scans inf files for files to copy, this way it should work with every inf file. The program from laptopvideo2go hardcoded the files to delete.

I think i understand the problem in general. At first is hard to find the right regfiles (but that can the user do by himself) and at second it is often hard to convert regfiles to .inf on the right way.

That is not the problem. The big problem is scanning the inf file for the default registry settings and keys. This is done differently for different manufacturers. The easy part will be reading these settings from the registry and set these as defaults. I can easily hardcode some registry settings, but I don't want to do this. That way I may have to update the program each time a new driver comes out.

re: NVLiTE... v2.119 (the latest when i'm writing this) has an issue with any driver versions 1xx.xx and above. It misreads them.

Instead, I recommend using this batch file:

rem Version 1.0
rem General Section
attrib -r -h -a -s *.*
expand -r *.* *.*
ren *.cf *.cfg
ren *.cp *.cpl
ren *.dl *.dll
ren *.ex *.exe
ren *.hl *.hlp
ren *.sy *.sys
ren *.tv *.tvp
del *.??_
del *.cab
del *.bin
del *.hdr
rem Various Manufacturers & Websites Section
del *.cva
del pme*.*
del get*.*
del *.tag
del *.lnk
del *.htm

in your working directory for your nVidia driver's, which will allow it to work fine with DrvComp, from what I've seen so far.

[edit] I just noticed you're using unpacked driver already, please excuse my post if you're already using this exact batch file. ;) [/edit]

Edited by uncajesse