Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

DrvComp v2007.08.09

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Roufneck

Roufneck

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Here's a driver that's not compressing properly. It doesn't find most of the files. It appears to be something related to the quotes, and maybe something else. I edited the quotes out and got rid of some of the errors, but there's still others.

It's a windows system driver (not their custom drivers) for Lexmark Z600 series.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b089t0
have a crack at em... :)

Thanx :P It has to do with the quotes. I can fix this. Besides that it uses some language codes for file location. I need to look into this.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

snvpa

snvpa
  • 2 posts
Awesome Tool! I'm having a slight problem with some intel graphics drivers but I don't believe it to be in relation to your utility so I will forgo posting any details till tomorrow. If I stll have problems after trying some Intel version rather than Dell version drivers I will update you. Thanks again saves an amazing amount of space.

Viper999

Viper999

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
Just checking on the possibility of a command line version. Thanks for the great utility.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,790 posts
Hey roufneck??

You still around?

Can you polish the driver integration? Maybe make it possible to select a multi-dir?

Also when I am doing a driver it still kept the 64 bit ones when I had x86 selected. (While integrating drivers.)

Umm now I am getting an error about your choice of the value "d1000" in dosnet.inf

OK Now I investigated further and I see where you wanted to use the value of d1000 it simply did not add the folder to the top section.

Also it is doing this

[OptionalSrcDirs]
DRIVERS
DRIVERS <---- See repeating itself?

So I think it will be doing it over and over again.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, 24 January 2008 - 08:44 AM.

Roufneck

Roufneck

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
Just finished another project so I have some time to look into this. Will try to work on it next week latest.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,790 posts
Great Thanks!

Viper999

Viper999

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello, I have utilized this utility from autoit and it crashes on me quite often. I would like to know if it would be possible to provide the code for this so I can code it in autoit so I dont have to call a seperate app. What did you write this in? I wonder if it can be migrated to vb or autoit?

Thanks,

Roufneck

Roufneck

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Hello, I have utilized this utility from autoit and it crashes on me quite often. I would like to know if it would be possible to provide the code for this so I can code it in autoit so I dont have to call a seperate app. What did you write this in? I wonder if it can be migrated to vb or autoit?

Thanks,

Hi Viper999,

Sorry I didn't reply to you or others any sooner. Lost my internet connection for a long time. Anyway, I had lots of time to look into the code and try to improve it. However, I programmed this a long time ago in NSIS. Thats also where the problem lies. NSIS is primarily used for installing software. Because of this I have hit the ceiling of the possibilities and need to look for too much work arounds.

I'll add the source to the first post in this thread. I hope someone can improve it or even better, help me rewrite it to .net or C. My skills are not good enough for this right now.

Regards, Roufneck.

Kingskawn

Kingskawn

Kingskawn

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
I red the readme file, so if I understand I can put all my needed drivers in one folder, scan it with the tool and will make a compressed file that will be in i386\drivers?
Dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif will be updated as well automatically?

godan

godan

Custom member title

• PipPip
  • 209 posts
I am trying to compress some audigy drivers i got off of windows update and i keep getting this error

Initializing Driver Compressor 2007.08.09.0947...

Source: 'C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Audigy'
Destination: 'C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Comp Drivers\Audigy'
WHQL driver signing: 1
UseProvider: 0
Type: .x86
OS language: English (United States)
OS locale: ENG_ENU (0409)
International drivers: 1
Integrate drivers: 0

Expanding cabinet files...

Removing attributes from files...

Scan INF files...
[+] \ctusfsyn.inf
[+] \wdma_emu.inf
ERROR: Buffer is too small in \wdma_emu.inf

Removing temp dirs...

Compressing cabinet files...

Compressing copied files...

Processed 2/2 .inf files in 0 min 3 sec 391 ms.

here is the wdma_emu.inf:

Edited by godan, 18 May 2008 - 05:40 PM.

Roufneck

Roufneck

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
@Kingskawn
It compresses all needed files and stores thes in those folders. Not in 1 big file.

@godan
The inf file is too big. One of the short comings of programming in nsis.

godan

godan

Custom member title

• PipPip
  • 209 posts
thx for the quick reply and thx for the time you spent working on this. you've made an very helpful tool. i hope development doesnt stop.

Roufneck

Roufneck

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
Development is stopped for this. For two reasons:

1. I am using Vista installs only at the moment and it has an different and easier driver integration system.
2. As stated earlier, this program is written in NSIS. It started as a project to learn the NSIS language and possibilities. However, the program got bigger and started to hit the limitations of NSIS. Maybe when I have the time I rewrite the program to .net, C++ or another language. If someone feels like starting with this, the code is included in the first post.

Radimus

Radimus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
I'm also getting errors:

Initializing Driver Compressor 2007.08.09.0947...

Source: 'C:\Documents and Settings\wheelerc\Desktop\DPBase\3rd party DriverPacks\Old\3'
OS source: 'G:\I386'
Destination: 'G:\I386\DRIVERS'
WHQL driver signing: 1
UseProvider: 0
Type: .x86
OS language: English (United States)
OS locale: EN_ENU (0409)
International drivers: 0
Integrate drivers: 1

Expanding cabinet files...

Removing attributes from files...

Scan INF files...
[+] \d520\video\autorun.inf
[+] \d510\Video\autorun.inf
[+] \d510\Video\Win2000\ialmnt5.inf
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Arabicigfxrara.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Danishigfxrdan.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Finishigfxrfin.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Hebrewigfxrheb.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Netherlandsigfxrnld.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Norwegianigfxrnor.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Polishigfxrplk.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Portugeseigfxrptg.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Russianigfxrrus.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Sweedishigfxrsve.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Thaiigfxrtha.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Czechoslovakianigfxrcsy.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Greekigfxrell.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Hungarianigfxrhun.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\Turkishigfxrtrk.lrc
WARNING: CANNOT FIND \d510\Video\Win2000\""igfxdgps.dll
[+] \270\Video\autorun.inf

Removing temp dirs...

Compressing cabinet files...

Integrating drivers...

Attached Files

Edited by Radimus, 02 July 2008 - 11:06 AM.

Radimus

Radimus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
it also doesn't integrate DOS-mode drivers...

kickarse

kickarse

the free techie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Development is stopped for this. For two reasons:

1. I am using Vista installs only at the moment and it has an different and easier driver integration system.
2. As stated earlier, this program is written in NSIS. It started as a project to learn the NSIS language and possibilities. However, the program got bigger and started to hit the limitations of NSIS. Maybe when I have the time I rewrite the program to .net, C++ or another language. If someone feels like starting with this, the code is included in the first post.

What does vista use if you don't mind telling? I would love to add the ability for my DriverForge program to install for both systems.
http://drop.io/wanderingit -- download DriverGeek (formally DriverForge) and FindHWIDS

xtranophilist

xtranophilist

• 21 posts
The directory DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053\D\L\AL has two files a1kxp32.inf and a1kxp32.sys
When I select DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053\D\L\AL as the source and start the compression I get the files a1kxp32.inf and a1kxp32.sy_ in the destination.

When there's no a1kxp32.sys file in the destination or if it is deleted, why doesnot Driver Compressor show any warning?
For those about to ROCK, we salute you.

Roufneck

Roufneck

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts

The directory DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053\D\L\AL has two files a1kxp32.inf and a1kxp32.sys
When I select DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053\D\L\AL as the source and start the compression I get the files a1kxp32.inf and a1kxp32.sy_ in the destination.

When there's no a1kxp32.sys file in the destination or if it is deleted, why doesnot Driver Compressor show any warning?

It doesn't check the destination. It only reads the source inf files, copies the necessary files and when ready compresses files in the destination dir.

Roufneck

Roufneck

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts

What does vista use if you don't mind telling? I would love to add the ability for my DriverForge program to install for both systems.

If I understand correctly, your program does post-windows-install installation. I was referring to integrating drivers into images.

xtranophilist

xtranophilist

• 21 posts
I am extremely very sorry.
I m not that good in English.
What i should have written is :
When there's no a1kxp32.sys file in the source or if it is deleted, why doesnot Driver Compressor show any warning?

I wrote destination instead of writing source.
Waiting for your reply.

Attached Files

• Attached File  AL.7z   28.71KB   5 downloads

Edited by xtranophilist, 05 August 2008 - 12:42 PM.

Roufneck

Roufneck

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
I've looked it up in the source code. It doesn't give a warning for .com, .sys, .dos, .vxd.

.sys was mostly used for windows earlier then XP. In the driverpacks were a lot of XP drivers who had very bad written .inf files. They included a lot of older files from previous windows. The easiest solution then was to disable the warnings for .sys.

So basically it was to suppress the huge amount of warnings with compressing the driverpacks.

Edited by Roufneck, 05 August 2008 - 01:53 PM.

xtranophilist

xtranophilist

• 21 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
But I see .sys files in almost all drivers for XP and Vista.

One more question.
I have attached a driver.
There are two files - ax88140.inf and ax88140.sys
ax88140.inf has no SourceDisksFiles Section.
But it has:
[AX88140.CopyFiles]
  AX88140.sys,,,2

[DestinationDirs]
  AX88140.CopyFiles = 12

Driver Compressor doesnot copy the file ax88140.sys into destination.
Is this OK?
Are only files from SourceDiskFiles section required?
Thanks in advance again.

Attached Files

• Attached File  AS3.7z   11.07KB   7 downloads

Edited by xtranophilist, 05 August 2008 - 02:08 PM.

Roufneck

Roufneck

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
Hehe, disregard what I said about '.sys was mostly used for windows earlier then XP'. It's been a while since I digged into this. But I did suppress the .sys warnings because of the million warnings in the driverpacks.

Like I said before, a lot of .inf files are very badly written. How some of them work, I still don't know. If I remember correctly, on the msdn site it said somewhere the .inf files need a SourceDiskFiles section. DrvComp only looks into this SourceDiskFiles section. It is impossible to add all the exceptions by hand for the badly written .inf files.

So if you need to compress other drivers, copy them by hand to the destination folder and DrvComp will still compress them for you.

xtranophilist

xtranophilist

• 21 posts
Thanks a lot for the info and giving us such a wonderful tool.

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
@Roufneck

Firstly, thank you so much for this wonderfull tool of yours, it's very much appreciated, mate :)

Second, then i would like to make a feature-request to you about if you would maybe consider adding an option for not compressing the drivers, but just doing the other steps i.e. parsing the inf's and copying over only the referenced files...

I think this would be a very nice addition, since i believe that there are lots of people(like me), which uses your tool for filtering out unneeded files and then afterwards uncabs the cabbed files, since they either install drivers uncompressed directly from disc, or using 7-Zip'ed drivers...

Btw, in the documentation you state that cat files are not needed if you disable WFP, but i would suggest that you change that, since driver signing is seperate from WFP and since cat files also influences driver ratings...

I myself remove cat files and also disable WFP, but it was just a thought, so as to make sure that newbies understand the impact of that option better...

/* Moved to Linux - Thanks for a nice stay all! */
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN