a sample autounattend.xml - working good

I'm back - found this about system-variable folders on vista & how they correspond to XP (it may not be much, but its notable because it gives quite a bit of info on the topic, on one page) - on link below

http://trustedaccess.info/blogs/travelling...orn-Server.aspx

And how to install *.MSU updates for vista silently - http://trustedaccess.info/blogs/travelling...s-silently.aspx

hi maverick, below helps? :)

; Set the Network Location
;00000000 = Home/Work; 00000001 = Public
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Signatures\FirstNetwork]
"Category"=dword:00000000

Edited by prathapml

Thanks, Have bookmarked & will try the network reg setting. This will stop this page from showing on first logon I take it?

I have succesfully integrated selected updates to my source & working fine. getting very close to where i would like to be in UA now.

Hmm, do you mean this page comes up before first login, or after u login?

And the above is superb then, i'd like to know about these please:

when do u apply your reg settings - if u apply it before first-login, then how do u apply it? (and thru which pass?)

how to integrate updates into source? :o

This is happening straight after setup on first logon, autologon in my case. I manually apply my reg after setup atm, will automate that soon haven't been that far yet, but will take on any suggestions for this?

One of our members Arneh posted this Slip updates

Very nice batch to slip updates straight into the source, all credit to Arneh :thumbup

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

I apply reg tweaks during first login (with autologon), then install apps and finally execute sysprep (with copyprofile).

It seems that first login is the best way to apply tweaks because if you do it before, HKCU won't be imported for default user.

However, I can't exactly mimic what I used to do during XP unattended install : whatever I do, some reg tweaks keep being erased by windows :

HCKU\Control Panel\WindowMetrics\PaddedBorderWidth
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Superhidden

These settings seem to be overwritten when an account is first logged (ie when windows does its pseuso RunOnceEx things -> "Configuring Desktop", "Configuring Internet Explorer" ...).

I managed bypassing this issue by importing reg tweaks in a runonce key so that it's done after first account configuration. Then, at first logon, Administrator account has all tweaks applied.

But this only moves this issue one step beyond : when sysprep executes, copyprofile is successfully done (new user accounts got nearly all tweaks applied), but one more time "Configuring..." erases some of them for this new account.

Can't remember if I already tried re-adding runonce reg import just before executing sysprep so that reg tweaks import would be done for new account as well... Anyway, I find this method pretty much complicated for such a basic thing.

Hey guys few q's

How to stop windows on first show to setup further users? Also the home ofice network setup screen thing?

I have the following in my xml

<OOBE>
<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
<NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation>
<ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>
<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
</OOBE>

Do I need to set skip machine oobe as well as Admin set & autologon toggled on.

</settings>
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Identification>
<JoinWorkgroup>Workgroup</JoinWorkgroup>

Do I need to nominate something else in the ans file to skip the setup network lot?

Thanks Fellas

Update:

Choosing skip machine setting sorted the user screen as expected, although waik setting depracated. Works fine though.

I also changed my network setting from Other to Work however pops the network screen up with Work highlighted? Not a real biggy though.

I have the same problem.

prathapml: is your oemlogo displayed when you use the autounattend file submitted in your 1st post ?

Mine doesn't as windows stores the path in a REG_SZ key instead of a REG_EXPAND_SZ

mc: I use a modded version of prathapml's autounattend file, set network as "home" and never get network page on 1st startup. And now that I use sysprep with a second xml file with network set a "home", I don't get it either... Tell me if you need more information.

Edited by keul

mc: I use a modded version of prathapml's autounattend file, set network as "home" and never get network page on 1st startup. And now that I use sysprep with a second xml file with network set a "home", I don't get it either... Tell me if you need more information.

Taken on board, will incorporate.

EDIT: I also found a sharp reboot after install at first use gets rid of that page & doesn't pop up again, quick & dirty I know...

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

• 4 weeks later...