Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

a sample autounattend.xml - working good

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

Windows PE bootstrap setting specified in the uanttednded file".

what attached xml? I've only seen a few times when I had the
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsNonWinPE"
and its not right.
Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

urie

urie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

@maxXPsoft:

No, I've not tested it yet, but I will the next few hours. Sounds to me that nDrew tested it and it seemed to work for him.

However I'll try out and let you know!

If this should not work, I'll test to run a script from WinPE which will set a variable to use with a removable device and install drivers than during WinPE pass using this "selfmade" variable. Don't know for the moment, if setup is doing a reboot before it's installing drivers during WinPE. Cause than my idea would not work, too.

Martin

@FireGeier, we are talking paths here to dvd ideally we dont want full path thought we had it with configsetroot but as you know works,
fair enought you can add to a cleanup.CMD to delete configsetroot from windows folder grab back some Hdrive space but as far as vista go's it any files it is looking for wont goto windows it will be looking for c:\window\configsetroot\ ok that maybey fair enought like old I386 folder if you have mabey a oem machine, but we are talking here about unattend vista for normal peeps not rollouts and syspreping i think the forum needs split up , as was in unattendxp section there was a seperate thread for RIS, also let me know how you get on with %CDRoot% dont have a chance to test tommorrow busy but last time i searched for %CDRoot% on net it turnd up Linux..

P.S. maxxp and myselfe tried %CDRoot% months ago but you never know maybey small typo error can happen.
also have you acctually thought about what nDrew ids saying i,e %CDRoot%\soft\Office2007.exe this aint in PE aint drivers were talking must be adding at <settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup"
this is software install after PE vista will access and search for paths then maybey %CDRoot% would work just a thought, we ar all in the same boat MS guidlines are clear to all:)) yeah if you can make head or tail to them:)

Edited by urie, 29 January 2007 - 08:55 PM.

shortie

shortie

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 06-February 04
Hi,

nobody who could give me a hint what's wrong with my unattended.xml??

shortie
HP XW8600, 2*3.06 XEON, 8 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850, Win7 Ultimate

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
shortie
2 things i would delete from PE
LogPath
PageFile

D usually don't exist during PE since its all in memory at that point. If thats the target drive then its about to be formatted
Logs, look in systemdrive\Windows\panther folder after its installed

also Language Pack is not right, should be
<package action="configure">
			<assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft-Windows-Client-LanguagePack-Package" version="6.0.6000.16386" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="de-DE" />

Edited by maxXPsoft, 30 January 2007 - 07:16 AM.

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

shortie

shortie

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 06-February 04
Thanks maxXPsoft,

installation is running now.
One more question : Right before the disk-config dialog setup asks me which os I want to install, the selection box only show ultimate. How can I overwrite this dialog?

Kind regards,

shortie
HP XW8600, 2*3.06 XEON, 8 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850, Win7 Ultimate

FireGeier

FireGeier

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 24-October 05
Hello shortie!

Look here.

Martin

FireGeier

FireGeier

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 24-October 05

... also let me know how you get on with %CDRoot% dont have a chance to test tommorrow busy but last time ...

Hello maxX & urie!

Like expected %CDRoot% does not work to install drivers during WinPE pass.

For the moment I try to use my own %DriversRoot% variable using setx.exe. But I'm not successfull. Well... if I check the registry in WinPE using regedit. %DriversRoot% seems to be setted to Environment. But if I open a cmd-Windows the DriversRoot variable does not appear in the list even it's present in the registry.

EDIT:
Forget about this part... global environment can't be set in running system. :whistle:

Starting Setup from WinPE results in an error that boot critical drivers are not valid. This error means, it can not find the path. So %DriversRoot% variable does not work.

Do you have any ideas here?

Thanks,
Martin

Edited by FireGeier, 30 January 2007 - 01:02 PM.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
http://www.msfn.org/...mp;#entry619873

EmRoD

EmRoD

Powered by PlugSquare.com

• Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 16-January 04
If you want to get rid of the configetroot folder just add a
specialize
RunSynchronousCommand

%systemroot%\System32\cmd /c "rd /S /Q %systemroot%\ConfigSetRoot"

I use it to remove files copied from my usb drive during setup, but I understand the issue when running configset from dvd :/

FireGeier

FireGeier

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 24-October 05
@ EmRoD:

For sure this works, but it's not like installing drivers from DVD. We're trying to find a method, where drivers getting installed right away from the media. If you're installing from DVD for example using configsetroot the Vista DVD will be copied to your HD two times. That's not wasting time only in worst case you could run out of Disk space during installation.

Martin

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
and yes you can remove the dir it copies with a command
but as pointed out, Its all over the registry when this happens with a DVD install

sp00f

sp00f

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Joined 30-November 06
It doesnt work for me, each time i edit things like the KEY , and userlocale it wont open after saving.
Im using a Dutch Vista by the way.

EDIT:

got it working now, only there are more things peolle need to change then only the REMOVED
Your account is in it with password, and your time zones
You might change the first post.

Edited by sp00f, 12 February 2007 - 05:48 AM.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
lol sp00f its up to everyone to look closely at an example and fix as needed for their install

sp00f

sp00f

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Joined 30-November 06

lol sp00f its up to everyone to look closely at an example and fix as needed for their install

You should read the first post again (this time better)he didnt mentioned that.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

here's a working sample, made for my preferences

your right I don't understand here's a working sample, made for my preferences
edit
what I'm trying to say is a lot of these have been posted and not even 1 will work for you, you need the WAIK and be very careful even then, a bad entry will crash you, been there done that about a 100 times till I got what I wanted from all my tests

Edited by maxXPsoft, 14 February 2007 - 11:56 AM.

nDrew

nDrew

• 29 posts
  • Joined 29-January 05
but how to disable those warnings at unsigned drivers' install? :(

Mateus

Mateus
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 15-February 07
Hello!

Can somebody help me ?

Sorry but I am a beginner but I have some work with Unattend XP.

Where should put I the autounattend.xml?

I now learn English so I cant read all of your publication.

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Looks like i'm not so scared of the "UseConfigSetRoot" tag now anymore.
Because i do end up using it anyways, for the sake of running automated scripts after copying files over to HDD using the $OEM$ folder path (which needs above tag).
So i just delete %configsetroot% folder now at the end of my scripts.
(for those who havent already read about this in the beginning of this topic, u need to use the UseConfigSetRoot tag in your xml, if u want to use the $OEM$ tree. And u can specify %configsetroot%\drivers, in your xml, to get Setup to pick up drivers automatically from dvdroot\drivers folder. I was afraid to use this feature since the entire dvd would get copied - but then realised it would get copied anyways, for the purpose i'm looking at, so cant avoid the copying of that folder)

Now my recent discovery, is that i dont need to bother with the unattend.xml to set a directory to pickup drivers from!
Because i can simply drop my PnPdrvrs folder into the "$OEM$\$$\inf" folder on dvd, & since its part of the DevicePath & vista searches recursively, the drivers will be installed automatically at bootup, provided your drivers are signed/WHQL.
Wondering if this will work for XP too.

Not quite sure if the above even makes sense at all to a beginner, but those of you who've been looking for a straight-forward way for this, might find it useful. If you want clarifications, just ask! :)
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

MAVERICKS CHOICE

MAVERICKS CHOICE

The Guy from Aus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Hey guys few q's

How to stop windows on first show to setup further users? Also the home ofice network setup screen thing?

I have the following in my xml

[/code]  
 <OOBE>
				<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
				<NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation>
				<ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>
				<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
			</OOBE>
 [code]

Do I need to set skip machine oobe as well as Admin set & autologon toggled on.

[/code]

</settings>
	<settings pass="specialize">
		<component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
			<Identification>
				<JoinWorkgroup>Workgroup</JoinWorkgroup>
[code]

Do I need to nominate something else in the ans file to skip the setup network lot?

Thanks Fellas

Update:

Choosing skip machine setting sorted the user screen as expected, although waik setting depracated. Works fine though.

I also changed my network setting from Other to Work however pops the network screen up with Work highlighted? Not a real biggy though.

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE, 06 March 2007 - 01:36 PM.

Fatila

Fatila
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 03-March 07
Thanks for your pointers.

In the MS AIK guide, it explains how vista will search for the unattend.xml from removable media. However I wish to install Vista from a USB flash drive, is there a way to get the install to search a folder within the same media?

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
I'm back - found this about system-variable folders on vista & how they correspond to XP (it may not be much, but its notable because it gives quite a bit of info on the topic, on one page) - on link below
http://trustedaccess...orn-Server.aspx
And how to install *.MSU updates for vista silently - http://trustedaccess...s-silently.aspx

hi maverick, below helps? :)
; Set the Network Location
;00000000 = Home/Work; 00000001 = Public
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Signatures\FirstNetwork]
"Category"=dword:00000000

Edited by prathapml, 11 March 2007 - 02:25 PM.

||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

MAVERICKS CHOICE

MAVERICKS CHOICE

The Guy from Aus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Thanks, Have bookmarked & will try the network reg setting. This will stop this page from showing on first logon I take it?
I have succesfully integrated selected updates to my source & working fine. getting very close to where i would like to be in UA now.

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Hmm, do you mean this page comes up before first login, or after u login?

And the above is superb then, i'd like to know about these please:
when do u apply your reg settings - if u apply it before first-login, then how do u apply it? (and thru which pass?)
how to integrate updates into source? :o

MAVERICKS CHOICE

MAVERICKS CHOICE

The Guy from Aus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
This is happening straight after setup on first logon, autologon in my case. I manually apply my reg after setup atm, will automate that soon haven't been that far yet, but will take on any suggestions for this?

One of our members Arneh posted this Slip updates

Very nice batch to slip updates straight into the source, all credit to Arneh :thumbup

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE, 11 March 2007 - 04:31 PM.

keul

keul

• 37 posts
  • Joined 08-March 04
I apply reg tweaks during first login (with autologon), then install apps and finally execute sysprep (with copyprofile).
It seems that first login is the best way to apply tweaks because if you do it before, HKCU won't be imported for default user.

However, I can't exactly mimic what I used to do during XP unattended install : whatever I do, some reg tweaks keep being erased by windows :

HCKU\Control Panel\WindowMetrics\PaddedBorderWidth
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Superhidden

These settings seem to be overwritten when an account is first logged (ie when windows does its pseuso RunOnceEx things -> "Configuring Desktop", "Configuring Internet Explorer" ...).
I managed bypassing this issue by importing reg tweaks in a runonce key so that it's done after first account configuration. Then, at first logon, Administrator account has all tweaks applied.

But this only moves this issue one step beyond : when sysprep executes, copyprofile is successfully done (new user accounts got nearly all tweaks applied), but one more time "Configuring..." erases some of them for this new account.

Can't remember if I already tried re-adding runonce reg import just before executing sysprep so that reg tweaks import would be done for new account as well... Anyway, I find this method pretty much complicated for such a basic thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users