Norton Problems?

Hi Everyone,

I have just bought a Sony LA1 and I'm in the process of setting it up. But, it came with Norton Ghost and Norton Internet Security already loaded. I don't wish to run either of these and have taken them off.

That's when I hit major instability problems with my operating System.

The instability takes the form (inter alia) of not being able to switch from desktop icons showing to having them not showing. Additionally, for example, trying to go into Start and from there into Settings and Control Panel, the procedure fails and there is an error message returned saying that Windows cannot find 'Null'.

There are other instabilities, of varying degrees.

How can I cleanly and safely remove Norton from my computer? I will not be using either product and don't want them on my machine. Has anybody else encountered these problems?

Many thanks for your help,

Q

Does this do a complete uninstall? Older versions would just get your computer to a state where you could safely reinstall the program. I remember having to use the removal tool to remove broken installations and then reinstall and uninstall to clean the system.

• 1 month later...

I went through all this........

Uninstalled NIS 2006 using add/ remove, than deleted ALL Norton/symantec files folders & registry entries but still I do get this pop up annoying message........

Which neiher symantec or sony has a clue.........

Your System is at a risk.......Norton Anti worm is not enabled" click here to see........"

It remains for a few secs than disappears.

Regards!

Does not remove norton etirely..........yes as far as visible files/folders reg entries are concerned yes...........but not the code embedded in XP MCE, installed from a manufacturer.

You will get XP security alerts, while on line ocassionally but regilarly.

In order to avoid those, only solution is format & install XP MCE from retail CDs.

Symantec Removal tool .SymnRt is in effective too......

Regards!