vLite 0.8 beta - Vista on a single CD

nuhi

I finally got around to using 0.8 today. I deleted my old Vista installation and for the first time installed Vista from a CD. That was unbelievable!! It installed a lot faster. It boots faster. It shuts down faster. Windows folder takes just 2.64 GB. No problems so far.

nuhi, thank you very much. I had almost decided to stay on XP, but Vista with vLite is almost good enough to be used as my main OS.

I finally got around to using 0.8 today. I deleted my old Vista installation and for the first time installed Vista from a CD. That was unbelievable!! It installed a lot faster. It boots faster. It shuts down faster. Windows folder takes just 2.64 GB. No problems so far.

nuhi, thank you very much. I had almost decided to stay on XP, but Vista with vLite is almost good enough to be used as my main OS.

2.4 GB ! Wow, can you post your ini file, I'd like to see what you removed. Mine is around 5gb. Did you remove enerything, or just about everything?

2.4 GB ! Wow, can you post your ini file, I'd like to see what you removed. Mine is around 5gb. Did you remove enerything, or just about everything?

Actually it's 2.73 now, after installing a few things, as you can see in the screenshot below. If I remember correctly, I removed everything other than Aero.

All I use from Vista is the taskbar and the start menu. For everything else, I have third party programs which are way better than Microsoft can make. If it was possible to remove eveything I want, my Windows folder would be 50MB.

th_33978_vista_122_539lo.jpg

I read some posts about the so called "font tweak".

What exactly is this doing?

And is there a way to disable the "Cleartype" from Vista so it's around the same as with XP Cleartype (Set to Standard if i'm not mistaken)? Since it's looking horrible on my CRT :)

aero requires 32bit graphics, i don't think there will ever be an easy way to change that. aero glass doesn't even look all that great to me...i prefer the classic style.

Microsoft suck a$$ and bloat everything out it seems on purpose.

If you use Windowblinds on XP/2003 with the Ironjer AeroGlassXP theme

from DeviantArt, you can have glass in VMware and that has... 2Mb video?

I think disabling the systen requirements at setup (min RAM etc) will be also a great option.

Thanks a lot :)

This is the #1 thing for me, theres three requirements to consider though:

CPU

RAM

HDD space

On nLite the CPU is left out of it but it never matters since everyone now has

at least a 500Mhz or something along those lines, with Vista though its different,

the minimum spec for a CPU is 800Mhz or something.

Do you think that maybe in the up coming versions that minimum ram check will be removed? I'd like to try to install vista on my PIII 650 laptop :P

This is the #1 thing..... and so on and so on :whistle:

It is possible to bypass the ram check to install vista on 256mb of ram i done it but it was a bad iso and got stuck with it expanding the files at 27% :}
how did you bypass it?

He didn't, it got stuck! :lol:

Edited by LeveL

Yes i got stuck but winsetup.dll if where you bypass this stuff for anyone who wants to give it a try your welcome to i failed :lol:

(Maybe its just me and vista just wont install for me with 256 i don't know i tried it on 2 different vista iso's and got the same error so i nailed it down winsetup.dll being patch incorrectly but I'm not a pro at these things)

Edited by vista custo