Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

vLite 0.8 beta - Vista on a single CD

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

nicox46

nicox46
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 15-January 07
Hi guys. Im trying to download v0.8 but links are dead, does anyone have a rapidshare link? or another link to download v0.8 thanks a lot bye :hello:
------------------
(a minute after)

I found a link, it is in www.majorgeeks.com, search for vlite and you'll find it.

Bye

Edited by nicox46, 15 January 2007 - 01:51 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & NTLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,400 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03
prx984, 512RAM

tap52384, this tweak is for compatible only because it's needed when WinSAT removed. Why would you even want it on the non-compatible cards, it will go slow. If you have a good experience with it I may add that too.

KRYOGENIUS, well searching inside the files for a related text, then when you get one others are all structured similiarly.

iwod, experience and vista's way of setup, both contributed to the speed. Almost all is removable, not to worry, it will be small as nlited XP, or at least very close to it.

XPero, let me know when you check it if it's ok, i used only the fontsubstitute tweaks because that area is for that, other parts of the tweak weren't so clean, and you can return to default with vlite, just reverse the tweak.

Jeronimo, yeah the gallery missing is a bug, corrected. About other I'll save it for review.

markusdlv, listen now, ALL DVD files are extracted (from the image file), 90% of them are DOUBLE copied (in cache and installed). How about that for an answer? ;) Vista doesn't install it just extracts.

For "dead links" read the referrer guide, or just search for it, I'll add unprotected mirrors soon.

edit: Updated it silently, now includes PhotoGallery
http://www.nliteos.com | http://www.ntlite.com
Remove components and customize Windows

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts
  • Joined 22-May 05
Aero, Superfetch, Readyboost, parental control...

I think I'm gonna reconsider running Vista. Thanks a lot nuhi. ^^

XPero

XPero

Father of XPize / Vize

• Developer
  • 1,901 posts
  • Joined 08-August 04
Fonts tweak working flawlessly here ;)

Dakirn

Dakirn
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 15-January 07
Great work :thumbup

Just one quick question.. do you know if the 64-bit version will get any smaller installed? I removed everything and the install is still 4.7 gig.

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,011 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
u have to apply the "build method"

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,611 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

ALL DVD files are extracted (from the image file), 90% of them are DOUBLE copied(in cache and installed).

Can I ask where is this cache?
I would really like to delete it - either manually, or if vLite can prevent creating of cache (or delete it after setup) THEN that'd be superb! ;)
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & NTLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,400 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03
Dakirn, as XtremeMaC said use the Rebuild option (that's second one on Apply)

prathapml, sure, it's the Windows\winsxs but it's tied with the other needed runtimes so I advise against playing with it unless you know what you're doing. I am considering it for some time now but it's not clean as removing it with the removed component. It would be easier it there are not also the components which are pulled from control panel Programs - Windows Features. So I'm guessing that such option would require from the user to give up the ability to add not installed windows features. Which I'm guessing isn't a big problem for a majority.

Dakirn

Dakirn
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 15-January 07

Dakirn, as XtremeMaC said use the Rebuild option (that's second one on Apply)

That's odd, that's what I was doing. The ISO finishes as 1100mb but the installed size of the directory is 4.7gig.

I'll take a look at it some more, thanks for the help :D

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,611 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

So I'm guessing that such option would require from the user to give up the ability to add not installed windows features. Which I'm guessing isn't a big problem for a majority.

True
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & NTLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,400 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03
Dakirn, do you even know how big is the full 64bit install!
ISO 3.6GB,
Windows with Program Files are 11GB.

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,011 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
btw there are useless video files on a full install which take up a lot of space..

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,611 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

btw there are useless video files on a full install which take up a lot of space..

That can be removed since vLite 0.5, i think.

Innocent Devil

Innocent Devil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Joined 04-February 05
SxS connsumes most
i hve 0.7b Vista with wim 995mb

install 4GB
SxS ~2GB
"The level of security that Vista is trying to achieve to protect video and audio is more extreme than anything the US government has ever considered necessary for protecting its most sensitive classified data."

Read Full Article @ [A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection]

Don't be lame [Linux is NOT Windows]

Wesmosis

Wesmosis

Just Call Me Doctor Just Call Me Pain!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Joined 20-September 04
you da man Nuhi!
@I dont know how the third World War will be fought, but I`m sure the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones
@Like What You Do, If You Can't Do What You Like
@Reality.Sys Corrupted. Universe Halted. Reboot Y/N

iwod

iwod

• PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Joined 26-March 04
LOL Vista is not even out in retail yet and we are pretty close to version 1 already :)

Edited by iwod, 17 January 2007 - 04:13 PM.

vim

vim

Junior

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 23-May 06

LOL Vista is not even out in retail yet and we are pretty close to version 1 already :)

Its the most downloaded OS in history! That's why. And yes it is in retail - RTM Vista is out.

3aces

3aces

Bass Lover!!! :D

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Joined 10-December 05
cheers nuhi...once agian you have out done your self :D

thanks for the windows mail discription, and also the tablet pc error with office is fixed so no more errors :D

Posted Image

oldmaelstrom

oldmaelstrom
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 20-January 07
Hi guys. Can you help me? After use vlite 0.8beta on Vista Ultimate 32bit I can't install russian mui.

3aces

3aces

Bass Lover!!! :D

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Joined 10-December 05
can you post you last session.ini

Posted Image

oldmaelstrom

oldmaelstrom
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 20-January 07
no questions, please...

Attached Files

aydc

aydc

• 16 posts
  • Joined 16-January 07
I finally got around to using 0.8 today. I deleted my old Vista installation and for the first time installed Vista from a CD. That was unbelievable!! It installed a lot faster. It boots faster. It shuts down faster. Windows folder takes just 2.64 GB. No problems so far.

nuhi, thank you very much. I had almost decided to stay on XP, but Vista with vLite is almost good enough to be used as my main OS.

vim

vim

Junior

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 23-May 06

I finally got around to using 0.8 today. I deleted my old Vista installation and for the first time installed Vista from a CD. That was unbelievable!! It installed a lot faster. It boots faster. It shuts down faster. Windows folder takes just 2.64 GB. No problems so far.

nuhi, thank you very much. I had almost decided to stay on XP, but Vista with vLite is almost good enough to be used as my main OS.

2.4 GB ! Wow, can you post your ini file, I'd like to see what you removed. Mine is around 5gb. Did you remove enerything, or just about everything?

aydc

aydc

• 16 posts
  • Joined 16-January 07

2.4 GB ! Wow, can you post your ini file, I'd like to see what you removed. Mine is around 5gb. Did you remove enerything, or just about everything?

Actually it's 2.73 now, after installing a few things, as you can see in the screenshot below. If I remember correctly, I removed everything other than Aero.

All I use from Vista is the taskbar and the start menu. For everything else, I have third party programs which are way better than Microsoft can make. If it was possible to remove eveything I want, my Windows folder would be 50MB.

Posted Image

prx984

prx984

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Joined 22-March 06
Do you think that maybe in the up coming versions that minimum ram check will be removed? I'd like to try to install vista on my PIII 650 laptop :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users