Adding Intel SATA Drivers to an installation CD in 15 steps

nAFutro

Adding Intel SATA Drivers to an Installation CD

IMPORTANT:

Follow the installation instructions in the order provided. Failure to complete these steps in the proper order can result in an unsuccessful or unstable installation.

This section provides guidelines for people who need to add Intel SATA AHCI of RAID support by creating a custom Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation CD.

Why did i make this? I wasn't satisfied with the information many other people are writing on the Internet and there guidelines are to complex for beginners, intermediates and even experts to understand if they are unfamiliar with this stuff.

Steps to add SATA drivers to the CD

1) Copy all the directories and files from the Windows XP CD to a temporary folder (these guidelines will use c:\xpcd)

2) Download the Floppy Configuration Utility from Intel.com

3) Extract all the files from the downloaded file. You can use an extraction tool or if you choose just to run the setup installer the files will be located on a floppy. (these guidelines will use the floppy installer)

4) These files should be located on the floppy disk.

a. iaahci.cat

b. iaahci.inf

c. iastor.cat

d. iastor.inf

e. iastor.sys

f. license.txt

g. readme.txt

h. txtsetup.oem

5) Create the following path in the temporary folder: c:\xpcd\$oem$\$1\drivers\sata

6) Copy all the files from step 4 to the c:\xpcd\i386 folder. You could delete the readme.txt and license.txt if you want, they are not important for the installation.

7) Also copy all the files from step 4 to the c:\xpcd\$oem$\$1\drivers\sata folder.

8) Open the c:\xpcd\i386\txtsetup.sif file in Notepad.

9) Go to the end of the file. There will be several blank lines.

10) Move the cursor up a few lines. This is necessary because there is a hidden marker at the end of the file.

11) Add the following lines

[sourceDisksFiles]

iastor.sys= 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

iaAHCI.cat=1,,,,,,,20,0,0

iaAHCI.inf=1,,,,,,,20,0,0

iaSTOR.cat=1,,,,,,,20,0,0

iaSTOR.inf=1,,,,,,,20,0,0

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25B0&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

[sCSI.Load]

iaStor = iaStor.sys,4

[sCSI]

iaStor = "Intel® 82801 SATA RAID/AHCI Controller (ICH5,6,7)"

12) Save the file and exit notepad.

13) Open the c:\xpcd\i386\winnt.sif in notepad

14) Under the section [unattended], add the following lines:

OemPreinstall=yes

OemPnPDriversPath=drivers\sata

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

15) Burn the custom XPCD from the c:\xpcd folder.

but a automated tool is be better (nlite or other) than manual modifications.

++

As an IT professional I can only say that you shouldn't edit files if there is a similar solution for the problem without editing the files. You will get bitten at a later point.

Of course I've tried nLite but that tool doesn't just add a driver, it completely changes the installation CD and that my friend is a big issue for me. My cooperation has a Microsoft Open License so we get updated Microsoft CD's. One thing is for sure, nLite doesn't generate files that are the same as Microsoft does.

I've got a great ending line for my comment, it is something my teacher said to me in my first years at school and he sure was right.

"Only monkey's use tools, you need to know the material itself"

but a automated tool is be better (nlite or other) than manual modifications.

++

As an IT professional I can only say that you shouldn't edit files if there is a similar solution for the problem without editing the files. You will get bitten at a later point.

Of course I've tried nLite but that tool doesn't just add a driver, it completely changes the installation CD and that my friend is a big issue for me. My cooperation has a Microsoft Open License so we get updated Microsoft CD's. One thing is for sure, nLite doesn't generate files that are the same as Microsoft does.

I've got a great ending line for my comment, it is something my teacher said to me in my first years at school and he sure was right.

"Only monkey's use tools, you need to know the material itself"

So true so true ... and a very nice tutorial

Edited by ubernerd

can anyone host the contents of the exe for me?

There is another way to obtain the files and it will also work in the feature with newer releases of the drivers.

You will need to download the Win32 setup of Intel Matrix Storage driverpackage from Intel.com instead of F6 floppy installer.

After that you can extract the files from the downloaded archive, this can be done by launching the iata.exe file from a prompt or the Windows run with the following parameters:

\iata621_enu.exe" -A -PC:\IATA

This way the files will be extracted to the C:\IATA folder without installing them on your system. the files located in the C:\Extracted\Driver\ folder are the same as the files you will find in the F6 floppy installer.

I followed the method that you provided and it doesn't work :(. The notebook would just crash as it's loading the drivers. I did everything that you said including adding the entries to txtsetup.sif. I don't know if you would call it a marker, but there was an arrow at the end of the page. I went up a few lines and copy and paste what you provided and it doesn't work.

Is it possible that I didn't put the sata drivers as the first entry in the winnt.sif file? For the OEM drivers path, I placed my chipset drivers and several other drivers ahead of the sata drivers.

Edited by Sgt_Strider

The notebook would just crash as it's loading the drivers.

Hmm that is strange, I will PM you so we can troubleshoot it. Crashing is strange, if something wasn't added right it should just skip the driver i believe.

I think I know why it may not work. I checked the readme file from the Gateway driver and apparently this is the SATA chip on my motherboard, - Intel® 82801GH I/O controller Hub (ICH7DH). I don't see that entry in your file. Is that why it's not working?

Here is the link to the driver: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...mp;uid=14942519

Edited by Sgt_Strider

can anyone host the contents of the exe for me?

There is another way to obtain the files and it will also work in the feature with newer releases of the drivers.

You will need to download the Win32 setup of Intel Matrix Storage driverpackage from Intel.com instead of F6 floppy installer.

After that you can extract the files from the downloaded archive, this can be done by launching the iata.exe file from a prompt or the Windows run with the following parameters:

\iata621_enu.exe" -A -PC:\IATA

This way the files will be extracted to the C:\IATA folder without installing them on your system. the files located in the C:\Extracted\Driver\ folder are the same as the files you will find in the F6 floppy installer.

the \iata621_enu.exe" -A -PC:\IATA part doesn't work for me, it asks me for a location where the iata621_enu.exe is then setup.dll