Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

New VM - VirtualBox

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

jmbattle

jmbattle

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 27-May 04
Hello folks,

Has anyone had a chance to try this new open source virtual machine software - http://www.virtualbox.org ?

I wonder how it compares in terms of speed with VMware, VirtualPC and Bochs.

Cheers,
James
x
Notebook PC: nLite 1.4.1 reduced WinXP with SP2 / RyanVM / FlyakiteOSX / Drivers integrated.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

theSLug

theSLug

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 02-May 06
try asap, potentially a great free software. :)

tnx jm for post this ;)

theSLug

theSLug

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 02-May 06
works well whit XP, and run the vista installation.
a GREAT free VM imho!

theSLug

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,676 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Thanks for the heads up! :)

jaclaz

Lemonzest

Lemonzest

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 23-February 04
Works well here, thanks :) :w00t: :wub:
AMD Athlon64 3000+ @2.4GHz, DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb, 2x1024MB Geil Value Ram PC3200
ATI Radeon X800XT VIVO, SyncMaster 913N LCD, Logitech MX518, Creative Audigy2 ZS
Enermax Noisetaker 485W, Western Digital SATA 160GB, Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard

Tarun

Tarun

Spectre

• Super Moderator
  • 3,189 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
I believe this should have been posted in the Tech News section. ;)

Nice find, regardless.

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04
More virtualization solutions (more choice) is always a good thing. But there's already tons of very good free offerings: VMWare Server, VMWare Player, MS Virtual Server 2005 R2, MS Virtual PC (not counting QEmu, KVM, Xen, Bochs and all that), and a bunch of cheap ones like Parallels.

The interesting part isn't so much that it's free (as in 0$) as there's already more than enough free solutions, but it's open source.

Either ways I'm sticking to VMWare Server (and the VMWare Converter for MS' .VHD files)
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04
Looks nice :)

BTW what VM's right now take advantage of AMD Virtualization Technology a.k.a AMD-V or Pacifica?

[edit] nvm I think I found the answer
http://en.wikipedia....re_utilizing_VT
Recommended Software: KeePass | Microsoft ICE | VisualWget | Vitamin D Video |

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Joined 22-May 05
Has anyone had a chance to see how well it performed ?

Zxian

Zxian

Scroll up - see the Google bar?

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04
There's a bug with the link on the frontpage - sends you to wwwl.virtualbox.org.

Martin L

Martin L

我叫马丁

• Patrons
  • 2,563 posts
  • Joined 09-July 03

There's a bug with the link on the frontpage - sends you to wwwl.virtualbox.org.

fixed that :) thanks :)

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04

Has anyone had a chance to see how well it performed ?

One thing I like is it is only a 10.8MB MSI Installer (extracted/installed its about 21.3MB) so its much leaner than VMWare Workstation v5.5 (90MB MSI), which includes some large iso's.

I just tested it on my new X2 3800 (AM2) with XP Pro SP2 and the performance was excellent, definetly better than VMWare with my last cpu (Venice 3000). However I have not tested VMWare yet with my new processor so the results may be better or same. :)

[edit] if you install the "Guest Additions" (think VMware tools) the performance is almost native!
Still gotta test vmware with new cpu to compare, but this is awesome :)
Some observations: cannot drag and drop files between host and guest with the additions installed.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
  • Joined 24-June 04
I just tried it out. It outperforms VMware and the snapshots are about the same size as VMware snapshots. They are stored in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\.VirtualBox\Machines\Virtual Machine Name\
Once I am done a current project that I use VMware for, I will be switching over. :thumbup

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
  • Joined 23-December 04
how much longer does it take to install than vmware? lol

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04
I am building a new "nLited" XP with the new RyanVM update pack, I will record the time it take to install it for both VirtualBox and VMware, either tonight or tommorow.
PS Thanks Jeremy I was wondering where the snapshots were being stored, did not bother to investigate :P

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04
Here are the results. I compared the time it took to install xp pro sp2 from the time the vm powered on to the time the desktop was loaded (wallpaper, taskbar, etc, appeared). I used the same iso file as the install source, both vms had the same disk span and memory allocation. Both vm's were created on a partition with about 34GB of free space and about 2% fragmentation.

VirtualBox - 9:19
VMware - 10:12

Thats about 10% faster :)

NOTE that Windows Setup time is probably largely determined by the read/write speed of the hard drive and not so much the vm. So I would expect a wider performance rift in benchmarks that better test the vm software itself.

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Joined 22-May 05
Could you please try a benchmark with 7-zip ? :)

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04
I dont see what that has to do with the VM though? I would like to see some more dual core benchmarks too if thats what you meant :)

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Joined 22-May 05
It's just that in the file manager, in the tool menu you can run a benchmark and I think it would give a good idea of how good it performs from a CPU/memory point of view. ;)

cyberpyr8

cyberpyr8

IT Ninja

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06
Does it have any support for existing VM's from VMWare or MS?
Check me out on The Android Vibe podcast

See you at TechEd 2012...

Zxian

Zxian

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04
Ok - I'll definately say wow about this... so much simpler than VMware or VPC, and the performance is just stunning...

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
  • Joined 23-December 04
and its free, im definetly going to have fun playing with this

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

Ok - I'll definately say wow about this... so much simpler than VMware or VPC, and the performance is just stunning...

I would say it's also it's biggest downside: simpler than other virtualization solutions also means "missing advanced features" in this case. It seems like a pretty good alternative to the overpriced vmware workstation though: 200$ for what everybody else gives away (this, VPC and others) or sells quite cheap (e.g. Parallels). Maybe soon enough VMWare will have to live off its ESX sales. They're only going to manage to sell their workstation product for so long at that price.

Not much of a server virtualization product though. VMWare Server (and Virtual Server 2005 R2) is still king there for many, many reasons: VirtualBox doesn't start as service which is absolutely essential, simpler networking, no image conversion tool to use all the existing vhd & vmdk images (nor the upcoming ones being released by various vendors as virtual appliances or as MS are doing right now for evals in vhd format), no migration products like VMWare has (P2V et al), no iSCSI support, no remote admin tools/console, doesn't have any of the scripting stuff vmware has, no upgrade path to something like ESX (with clustering, failover and all that), likely not quite the same level of support available (no major vendor behind it), etc.

By the way, VMWare has a new product: VMware Lab Manager (still beta), and it looks VERY nice and useful for programmers (for doing testing including deployment). Just too bad it'll cost an arm and a leg.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

Zxian

Zxian

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04
@crahak - Sure... but for someone like me (and I'm sure I'm not alone here), VirtualBox does exactly what I need. I don't make use of scripts, remote administration, etc etc. I want something that I can test my latest XPlode config, or a new Linux distro, or something like that. A computer within a computer - nothing more - nothing less. Many people here like to use VMware to test out their nLite ISOs before installing them on their real PCs.

I don't think that anyone would argue that VirtualBox is a replacement for VMware, but it's a pretty good freeware alternative. :yes:

KRYOGENIUS

KRYOGENIUS

Enhancer

• PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Joined 12-April 04
Hello

I have tested it last days. This software has a big potential in my opinion. Compare to the other solutions. Its simplicity make the software efficient instead VMWare and VPC.
Otherwise, some improvements (sure they will come soon) about usb, network and sound, will be better.

It is the only which allow me, without errors, to install solaris 10 !

Good chance Virtual Box

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users