• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
jmbattle

New VM - VirtualBox

108 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

Has anyone had a chance to try this new open source virtual machine software - http://www.virtualbox.org ?

I wonder how it compares in terms of speed with VMware, VirtualPC and Bochs.

Cheers,

James

x

works well whit XP, and run the vista installation.

a GREAT free VM imho!

theSLug

Thanks for the heads up! :)

jaclaz

I believe this should have been posted in the Tech News section. ;)

Nice find, regardless.

More virtualization solutions (more choice) is always a good thing. But there's already tons of very good free offerings: VMWare Server, VMWare Player, MS Virtual Server 2005 R2, MS Virtual PC (not counting QEmu, KVM, Xen, Bochs and all that), and a bunch of cheap ones like Parallels.

The interesting part isn't so much that it's free (as in 0$) as there's already more than enough free solutions, but it's open source.

Either ways I'm sticking to VMWare Server (and the VMWare Converter for MS' .VHD files)

There's a bug with the link on the frontpage - sends you to wwwl.virtualbox.org.

There's a bug with the link on the frontpage - sends you to wwwl.virtualbox.org.

fixed that :) thanks :)

Has anyone had a chance to see how well it performed ?

One thing I like is it is only a 10.8MB MSI Installer (extracted/installed its about 21.3MB) so its much leaner than VMWare Workstation v5.5 (90MB MSI), which includes some large iso's.

I just tested it on my new X2 3800 (AM2) with XP Pro SP2 and the performance was excellent, definetly better than VMWare with my last cpu (Venice 3000). However I have not tested VMWare yet with my new processor so the results may be better or same. :)

[edit] if you install the "Guest Additions" (think VMware tools) the performance is almost native!

Still gotta test vmware with new cpu to compare, but this is awesome :)

Some observations: cannot drag and drop files between host and guest with the additions installed.

I just tried it out. It outperforms VMware and the snapshots are about the same size as VMware snapshots. They are stored in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\.VirtualBox\Machines\Virtual Machine Name\

Once I am done a current project that I use VMware for, I will be switching over. :thumbup

how much longer does it take to install than vmware? lol

I am building a new "nLited" XP with the new RyanVM update pack, I will record the time it take to install it for both VirtualBox and VMware, either tonight or tommorow.

PS Thanks Jeremy I was wondering where the snapshots were being stored, did not bother to investigate :P

Here are the results. I compared the time it took to install xp pro sp2 from the time the vm powered on to the time the desktop was loaded (wallpaper, taskbar, etc, appeared). I used the same iso file as the install source, both vms had the same disk span and memory allocation. Both vm's were created on a partition with about 34GB of free space and about 2% fragmentation.

VirtualBox - 9:19

VMware - 10:12

Thats about 10% faster :)

NOTE that Windows Setup time is probably largely determined by the read/write speed of the hard drive and not so much the vm. So I would expect a wider performance rift in benchmarks that better test the vm software itself.

I dont see what that has to do with the VM though? I would like to see some more dual core benchmarks too if thats what you meant :)

It's just that in the file manager, in the tool menu you can run a benchmark and I think it would give a good idea of how good it performs from a CPU/memory point of view. ;)

Does it have any support for existing VM's from VMWare or MS?

Ok - I'll definately say wow about this... so much simpler than VMware or VPC, and the performance is just stunning...

and its free, im definetly going to have fun playing with this

Ok - I'll definately say wow about this... so much simpler than VMware or VPC, and the performance is just stunning...

I would say it's also it's biggest downside: simpler than other virtualization solutions also means "missing advanced features" in this case. It seems like a pretty good alternative to the overpriced vmware workstation though: 200$ for what everybody else gives away (this, VPC and others) or sells quite cheap (e.g. Parallels). Maybe soon enough VMWare will have to live off its ESX sales. They're only going to manage to sell their workstation product for so long at that price.

Not much of a server virtualization product though. VMWare Server (and Virtual Server 2005 R2) is still king there for many, many reasons: VirtualBox doesn't start as service which is absolutely essential, simpler networking, no image conversion tool to use all the existing vhd & vmdk images (nor the upcoming ones being released by various vendors as virtual appliances or as MS are doing right now for evals in vhd format), no migration products like VMWare has (P2V et al), no iSCSI support, no remote admin tools/console, doesn't have any of the scripting stuff vmware has, no upgrade path to something like ESX (with clustering, failover and all that), likely not quite the same level of support available (no major vendor behind it), etc.

By the way, VMWare has a new product: VMware Lab Manager (still beta), and it looks VERY nice and useful for programmers (for doing testing including deployment). Just too bad it'll cost an arm and a leg.

@crahak - Sure... but for someone like me (and I'm sure I'm not alone here), VirtualBox does exactly what I need. I don't make use of scripts, remote administration, etc etc. I want something that I can test my latest XPlode config, or a new Linux distro, or something like that. A computer within a computer - nothing more - nothing less. Many people here like to use VMware to test out their nLite ISOs before installing them on their real PCs.

I don't think that anyone would argue that VirtualBox is a replacement for VMware, but it's a pretty good freeware alternative. :yes:

Hello

I have tested it last days. This software has a big potential in my opinion. Compare to the other solutions. Its simplicity make the software efficient instead VMWare and VPC.

Otherwise, some improvements (sure they will come soon) about usb, network and sound, will be better.

It is the only which allow me, without errors, to install solaris 10 !

Good chance Virtual Box