New VM - VirtualBox

jmbattle

not a direct solution but fyi you can close the first window or what i am calling the "vm mananger" and just leave the running VM window open.

unrelated but figured it might help someone currently the only way I know of to get files into the vm is by creating an iso file and mounting it or through a shared network folder but you must connect by ip ex "\\192.168.0.4"

just checking because I was afraid to close the window at first :P

found a solution using VBoxManage make a shortcut to it like follows:

"\Program Files\InnoTek VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" startvm XP_PRO_SP2

I named my vm "XP_PRO_SP2" btw its case sensitive.

Have a look at the VirtualBox User Manual:

Chapter 6. Alternative VirtualBox frontends

Due to VirtualBox clean, modular design, it is relatively painless to create an alternative frontend to

the complex virtualization engine that is the core of VirtualBox. If VirtualBox, the graphical user

interface described in Chapter 3, Starting out with VirtualBox,does not suit your needs, VirtualBox

comes with several alternative frontends for certain scenarios. These are:

1. VBoxManage, which allows you to control all aspects of VirtualBox from the command line --

including those that the VirtualBox graphical user interface does not expose. This is described

in the following chapter.

2. VBoxSDL, an alternative graphical front end based on SDL. This is described in Section 6.2,

“VBoxSDL, the full-screen interface”.

3. VBoxVRDP, another frontend that produces no visible output on the host at all, but merely acts

as a VRDP server; see Section 6.3, “VBoxVRDP, the headless VRDP server”.

FrozenBlade- Yes Virtual PC is free, but it can be bloatware at times. also some people like to use more than 1 VM to test their ISO files before burning them to disk.

Also Virtual PC can be a bit complex for people who have never used a VM before (must add Additiona components to allow mouse to escape VM window withjout having to remeber the escape key)

(must add Additiona components to allow mouse to escape VM window withjout having to remeber the escape key)

Yes ;), though rather faint, you can sometimes hear the screams of the poor cursor, hopelessly trapped inside the VM window..... :whistle:

....the horror of it all.... :w00t:

...how cruel were the Connectix/Microsoft guys.... :no:

:D

jaclaz

Also Virtual PC can be a bit complex for people who have never used a VM before (must add Additiona components to allow mouse to escape VM window withjout having to remeber the escape key)

Yes, or simply press right alt as they tell you to.

It doesnt have to be the right ALT key, this can be changed

Yes, the same thing can happen with your login password on most system.

The point I was trying to make is that there is no actual need to change the default key, and if you go on and change it and your memory is so bad that you cannot remember it, you can stick a Post-it™ near your screen with the "new" key written on it or just try the few keys that can be assigned the function.

All in all, I don't see this as a major problem or as a reason to prefer another VM to Virtual PC (size of install, speed and compatibility with different booting methods appear to me as a more accurate comparison area).

:blink:

jaclaz

its nice

i did an howto to get it install on linux

the one they got is nice

but i found it was a tab eeek

but its looks and feels like VMware to me

about 10 mins quicker to install than VMware workstation on windows n linux

and a heap quicker to download

running speed : i found was about the same : but im not sure on the network speed yet i haven't had time to test it due to my linux box is without an monitor at the time .. :)

but its an nice program :)

link to my howto for linux install of it on centos / fc / suse

about 4 pages :) about 1.2 mb of pics in total of them pages :)