XP are good, but...

BadSector

Windows XP are good, but... i don't own a Pentium III. Actually i have a Pentium MMX which has 128Megs of RAM and runs at 200Mhz. I know many people who has similar systems to mine and i'm wondering why Microsoft didn't made a cutted version of XP (f.e. not so many effects, not all those mostly-unused things) for users who has older computers. I think that they will sell more copies if their operating system runs in more computers... am i wrong?

Okay... i'm not asking anything... i just making a comment :)

Yeh but I think thats the point of it all, companies like M$ want the public to go out and buy their products...so u can have the latest versions of them. The computer industry is continually churning out faster/smaller components. So for software manufactures to keep up with the latest puters they need to build software that is built around and can keep up with the constant speed changes!!!.

2 years ago u would have laughed at the idea of a 2gig speed system, and in 6mths it will not be the fastest available. Look at games for example...to play the latest good quality games u need a system that has to be a certain speed/has x amount of ram/can support 3d acceleration and a hard drive that has x amount of available space

Puters arent as expensive as they used to be and u can pick up most components at good prices, companies relize us suckers will want to keep up and have downed the prices so that we can....so we buy more and want more....man my first hard drive was only 540mg and now I run 2.....40gig/20gig and back in those days parts were expensive hard drives these days are cheap in comparison :)

I recently went out and upped my system from a P3 800mhz (which I thought was mad for a couple of years) to a P4 1.6gig which I know will keep my satisfied for a good number of years, but eventually I will need to up certain parts of it to keep up.....

Welcome to the future my friend.......and its all about technology and profit

gone are the days of gaming with floppies!!!!!

and Im loving it:D

Yeh but I think thats the point of it all, companies like M$ want the public to go out and buy their products...so u can have the latest versions of them. The computer industry is continually churning out faster/smaller components. So for software manufactures to keep up with the latest puters they need to build software that is built around and can keep up with the constant speed changes!!!.

2 years ago u would have laughed at the idea of a 2gig speed system, and in 6mths it will not be the fastest available. Look at games for example...to play the latest good quality games u need a system that has to be a certain speed/has x amount of ram/can support 3d acceleration and a hard drive that has x amount of available space

Puters arent as expensive as they used to be and u can pick up most components at good prices, companies relize us suckers will want to keep up and have downed the prices so that we can....so we buy more and want more....man my first hard drive was only 540mg and now I run 2.....40gig/20gig and back in those days parts were expensive hard drives these days are cheap in comparison :)

I recently went out and upped my system from a P3 800mhz (which I thought was mad for a couple of years) to a P4 1.6gig which I know will keep my satisfied for a good number of years, but eventually I will need to up certain parts of it to keep up.....

Welcome to the future my friend.......and its all about technology and profit

gone are the days of gaming with floppies!!!!!

and Im loving it:D [/quote:f53867d4f0]

the hardwares prices are dropping badly, you can go get a good fast P4 1.5 GHZ and about 256 RAM(or 265, always got mixed up) for not even $2,000 bucks Canadian. 2 years ago, I broght a P3 450 MHZ with 64 RAM for $2,500 Canadian, and it was on sale too(the boxing day sale:D:D:D)

noincher & Unimatrix-Zero are both on the right track. M$ wants to generate more $$$$$ so they have to release new software every so often (about 18 months). When what they are planning gets behind schedule - they coble some cr*p together and release that (Windows ME ring a bell?). The Intels and AMDs keep proving Moore's Law is correct - so the HW manufacturers have to release products based on the latest technology to be competitive - even though less than 10% of the 'users' in the world need much more than a Pentium III to do actual work with. (I know - there are plenty of games, and graphics applications - and work - that benefit from the extra horsepower, but like I said, I am talking about the masses of 'office workers' etc). So the PC makes make these new systems, but then none of those 90 percent really need them. M$ to the rescue - a new OS that 'requires' all that horsepower. New PC sell - M$ sells more Windows........ Then - in 18 months, we can start the cycle all over again and every one benefits. Well, except the poor schmuck that buys a new system 15 months into the cycle.

:assblast

LS

Microsoft shouldn't release a new software that with only a little changes, like LS_Dragons said, windows ME sucks, that's like a incomplete work, even the older version(windows 98 and 98se) is better, but i have to agree that Windows XP is a good one, and the next release of windows?(I think it well be windows LongHorn) It's just going to be another windows ME alike stuff, and Windows Blackcomb is coming soon to. Why on earth should we keep buying all those new windows with only a litte update? well it make any differnece if we use Widdows XP instead of LongHorn? I don't think so:rolleyes:

I have winxp installed on a PII 400mhz, 128ram 12gb comp. Disable all the visual stuff(switch to classic view) and it runs very very smooth.

What business are you in? Microsoft is in making a lot of money, so is everyone else, and as such, I don't blame them for realesing anything. Anyhow that is a totally different topic (is money everything?)

Besides everything is cheaper now, and everyone in USA/Canada should be very grateful that they can get quality hardware for good prices. My folks live overseas, and everything here is mad expensive, but we do get one thing that is pretty cheap (software).

That's why when I'm in the states and buying stuff for my comp, it just seems so much cheaper....

going back to the main question: A company has to release new things/add services/etc.. in order to stay in the business of making money!

for them to release a new product, be it hardware or software it has to have an "edge" womething the other products on the market dont have, be it cost, power, new features, expandability, whatever.. windows XP does a lot of new things, has somethings most people never thought of and some things we have all been cursing 98 for not having, i used to curse 95 and 98 for not having a nice user interface ( yes im vain... :) ) i used to wish i could skin them they where so **** ugly, hey! now we can! plus all the performance tweeks etc, my pc runs beter under XP than 98, if your machine can support it, chances are your machine benefits from it. if your pc is too old to run it.. well.. time for linux and/or a new pc (and you should have got a newer one ages ago anyway, lots of changes have happened in the mean time!! AGP, clock speeds, hard drive capacity support, several types of ram, USB.. etc etc) :rolleyes:

or maybe im wrong and we should all still be using commadore PET's now and surfing arpanet...

intel 4004, 108khz

[img:48d279a86c]http://www.pattosoft.com.au/jason/Articles/HistoryOfComputers/Intel4004.gif[/img:48d279a86c]

for them to release a new product, be it hardware or software it has to have an "edge" womething the other products on the market dont have, be it cost, power, new features, expandability, whatever.. windows XP does a lot of new things, has somethings most people never thought of and some things we have all been cursing 98 for not having, i used to curse 95 and 98 for not having a nice user interface ( yes im vain... :) ) i used to wish i could skin them they where so **** ugly, hey! now we can! plus all the performance tweeks etc, my pc runs beter under XP than 98, if your machine can support it, chances are your machine benefits from it. if your pc is too old to run it.. well.. time for linux and/or a new pc (and you should have got a newer one ages ago anyway, lots of changes have happened in the mean time!! AGP, clock speeds, hard drive capacity support, several types of ram, USB.. etc etc) :rolleyes:

or maybe im wrong and we should all still be using commadore PET's now and surfing arpanet... [/quote:430ec420cf]

that's exatly why i'm changing my system every year, the hardwares are CHEAP here now,(at least it's cheaper then the computers back in 1999) it's been only 2 years(actully, 3), maybe next 5 years, the new high tech. computers well only cost us a few hundred bucks:assshake