Mounting image error

NoNameNeeded

After copying the installation files to hard disk the program wants to mount an image (apparently...) and I get an error message:

"Mounting image error

Did you restart after installing the Filter Manager ?(yes I did)

Anyway try restarting your computer now and see if that helps, if that does not solve the issue please report

-Access denied

"

Okay now, I have returned from my winter holiday... with a fresh new motivation to test vLite some more :sneaky:

I've downloaded from Microsoft the latest build 6.0.6001.16406.061208-1900, and so far vLite 0.8 seems to be working properly with Enterprise (non-Core). If you can get a serial key from Connect, I'd recommend you try it too, it behaves better than Longhorn 5600.

As for the 512 Mb limit, the quickest solution that I've come up so far is to use a previous version of the setup routine, for example the Windows PE images from builds 4074 to 5112. Of course, they have to be manually extracted and repackaged with the new ImageX, not the old xImage. The WIMGAPI.DLL function headers are the same, so refreshing this dll with the new version shouldn't be a problem.

I will test how (or if) vLite interacts with the package/role installer in Longhorn Server, to make sure that it does not remove any vital files that it uses. The IIS7 Preview Program is one of the most complex betas that I've seen so far, and I think there's going to be another full year into it. Remember Codename DotNet back when Whistler was in beta? Server 2003 took a very long time to get out of beta, and 6001 is pretty much in the stage where 'Windows .NET Server 2002' was.

I am very interested in Windows Server 2008, as I intend to replace my primary OS with it. The main advantages are:

1) significantly less crap than Vista

2) native Vista environment, suited for developing applications

3) the server components themselves, that are really state-of-the-art

vLite should handle the rest like a charm :thumbup