looking for a new graphics card

bonestonne

ok, so my current graphics card is pretty old, and i really just want to put it back in my P4 system, so i've been looking into pretty good cards that i'd be able to use in the future if this system ever quits on me.

i saw the ATi Radeon 9550 at a local store for about $80, and thats pretty good for a graphics card, seeing as i have an old system, it needs to be AGP, universal if possible [i don't want to go PCI and i have no PCI-e] and it has 256MB of RAM, VGA/DVI-I/S-Video outputs...and its really nice for the money. i was googling it and reading reviews for it, and overall i see it as a really good replacment for the Asus V-7100 GeForce MX/MX 400 that i'm running now.

i was wondering if anyone could tell me a lot about the cards, specifically pros/cons because no where i've been has said anything bad about the card, or if theres a better card in the same price range [it needs to be less than $100, and no less than 128MB of RAM...right now my current card has 32, and it will be slow at times [specifically at youtube, i need to reduce the video size for a smooth playing clip].

any comments and referrals are greatly appriciated...i don't want to go off getting a card, and it turning out to hardly do what i need it to. i don't game, but i do edit music, and i will be working with video soon, so i still need at least a bit of performance out of it.

im trying to save up for a number of new parts for my computer, becuase its hardly at its potential right now, but i'm trying not to break the bank in the process.

Edited by bonestonne

i saw the ATi Radeon 9550 at a local store for about $80, and thats pretty good for a graphics card, seeing as i have an old system, it needs to be AGP, universal if possible [i don't want to go PCI and i have no PCI-e]and it has 256MB of RAM, VGA/DVI-I/S-Video outputs...and its really nice for the money.

Well, looks expensive to me, for that you can even buy a 9600pro wich is EXACTLY the same card and GPU only better clock speeds, 250 vs 400MHz, and the RAM most of the time 400 up to 600MHz.

i was wondering if anyone could tell me a lot about the cards, specifically pros/cons because no where i've been has said anything bad about the card, or if theres a better card in the same price range [it needs to be less than $100, and no less than 128MB of RAM...right now my current card has 32, and it will be slow at times [specifically at youtube, i need to reduce the video size for a smooth playing clip].

There are 6600 cards for 100 US$, that would be a better option in my eyes b/c it has SM 3.0 wich ATi doesn´t have (remember that they have Smart Sheader 2.0), Also 256Mb or 128MB, who cares, better to buy a card with a better GPU and less RAM, then a cripled GPU and 256/512MB ;).

ok, thanks a bunch for the info punto, if you get the chance, could you link me a card you think i should get, i was looking at a bunch more, very few AGP cards that i've seen that fit the build are universal AGP...quite odd the way that most are the type that doesn't match this board...>.<

this new card wont be for the P4 system, it'll be for the dual PII Xeon.

i actually did look at both cards, i was just a little worried about it working in this system with a 3.3v AGP slot. the P4 system has a 1.5v AGP card, which is why i'm looking for a universal AGP card, so if i ever have to, i can put the new card into the P4 system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814141038

^that was the card that i had more interest in, partly for the expendability of DVI, but the picture has the type of AGP that would only suit my P4 system.

also, the last question i had was if i could get a 64bit graphics card, or if i wouldn't be able to support 64bit graphics..i haven't really kept a close eye or mind on graphics cards, so i don't really know, but i was very interested in getting 64bit or 128bit graphics if possible for video editing [provided i'm able to].

uhm, well, i'm really not interested in Vista at all, and don't plan on getting it at all. it hasn't supported much of anything i have now, i'm not spending a fortune to see something compatible. my P3 celeron thats rated at 1.1GHz and is 5 years old, and it ran vista with my [extreme backup] geforce fx5200 PCI. didn't run incredibly well, but it ran...it gives me a new light to "Vista Compatible". my computer was made when XP was still just at SP1...sp2 was another story. i wouldn't be surprized if this system can run vista easily. XP is my style..

@ ripken: this isn't a new system, this is the system in my sig.

none of my systems are new really...i don't have the money for it, and my parents would see it as a waste to get a new system....thats why i need to save up plenty to buy my own RAM for this thing...and thats also why i have so little right now.

i'm looking for a new card that can just make this easier, not a whole new system. as much as a new system would help, its not in the question, thats why a 7900 is out of the question, it was never made into AGP, therefore, it doesn't help me much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814145139

so far thats the best one that i can see being really good for my needs. it will work in either of my computers that require AGP, and its got DVI which can help me for any upgrades in the future. one of my computers has a 3v AGP slot, the other has a 1.5, so i can't just pick any card i want...

just as a strange question, if i wanted 64 bit graphics or something higher, would it require a 64bit system? i do want the best possible graphics without pushing it too much, but if i can't get 64bit graphics thats fine, i'm just wondering partly because it would be a much more expendable card...32 is fine with me, because it beats the 24bit thats onboard on my other computer, but that runs linux, i don't need all that much with it.

Yeah, buy the 7300GT and trow it in a 3volt AGP slot :hello:

Did you see the post that I posted Posted 22-01-2007 (DD/MM/YYYY) at 11:12 PM?

Where do you see that 64bit? Cards that you normaly buy in a computershop just have 32bits color dept, and your older onboard VGA has 24bits color dept ;).

my friends computer has 64bit graphics, i'll have to ask him what the card is, but i found this...i dont find it incredibly correct being as its a card i actually have.

PNY GeForce FX 5200 256MB PCI Graphics Card

NVIDIA® CineFX engine Delivers film-quality effects and studio-quality color for every application. 128-bit Studio-Precision Color The industries best image quality for the most demanding applications.

* 256MB

* NVIDIA® CineFX engine delivers film-quality effects and studio-quality color for every application

* 128-bit Studio-Precision Color is the industry's best image quality for the most demanding applications

* Architectured for Cg - Ensures that the newest, cutting edge special effects in applications will run flawlessly

* Digital Vibrance Control 3.0 helps achieve accurate, bright colors in all conditions

* Integrated TV encoder provides TV-out functionality up to 1024 x 768 resolutions

* AGP 8X provides double the bandwidth of AGP 4X allowing for uninterrupted data flow resulting in smoother video streaming and seamless gameplay

* Open GL 1.5 Optimizations and Support ensures the best application compatibility performance for all OpenGL applications

it was on the website of a store in the area...the 128bit color...i have a PCI fx5200, definately only gives me 32bit color...i was wondering if anyone knew the low-down on this 128bit stuff...i know that very expensive high quality graphics cards have it [not even gaming cards, but way up in the thousands range for the price]....is it a typo, or is it the wrong messege about the wrong thing.

Well, 128 bit in the case of an FX5200, that´s the RAM, it´s used in 128bits.

The cheaper version of it uses 64bit´s, like 5 to 35% slower then the 128bits version.

Internal color calculations can be more bits then it can display, but for sure it´s 32bits color dept ;).

ok, it confused me a little when i read it because i have a PCI fx5200 that i use as mainly an extreme backup, becuase an AGP computer can use a PCI as the main card, but the only reason i don't want to is because the system is a little stuffed as is. it doesn't look like it, but i don't have as much airflow as i'd like because the processors generate so much heat being so close to each other...even with two fans on each it just heats up...i put my 92mm fan in the place of 2 ODD's, and its blowing air from between the processors aided by my 120mm fan [but i need to replace it because it sounds like its got missing bearing, so i'll have to talk to the store i bought it from about that....or i'll just find the sewing machine oil [i planned on that anyway]

i'm also slowly in the process of cooling the PSU better...the single fan is only good for so long, after a few hours it just starts heating up...so i'm going to make a duct from my top fan into the PSU, and keep the fan on low...that might help right?

its a delicate balance of functionality and heat with this computer, but somehow i don't mind the challenge.