Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

1 Database or 2?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Woomera

Woomera

MSFN Fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
i have two program that both use mysql databases.both databases are planned to be hosted on a same server BUT is there any diffrence that i make one mysql DB for both and use prefix name for their tables or make 2 individual DB's?
by diffrence i mean performance diffrence.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,682 posts

Donator

Probably a bit faster to have the two tables.

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
tain- do you mean two tables or two databases?

im not exactly sure if you would notice the performance increase tho, unless your working with millions of entries.
i was just thinking about this, seriously like an hour ago, and i just decided to put it all in 1 database. only reason was b/c of organization. say the server where you were going to have the database already has like 20 databases on it... i use phpmyadmin alot, just for testing right now, hopefully i wont ever have to use it later on besides from having to manually edit/delete something for some reason.

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

nmX.Memnoch

nmX.Memnoch

MSFN Master

• Patrons
  • 2,086 posts
If they're seperate programs containing seperate data it's generally recommended to have them in seperate databases. What if you wanted to move the database for one application to another server, but not move the database for the other application? If you put them in the same database then you'd be stuck pulling the tables apart for a situtation like that. :)

ZcWorld

ZcWorld

• PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
if your webhosting only gave / lets you have one database
than use the prefix
but if you got more than one database than use a database for each one
so its quicker to backup / restore / to use
>> Away : back on the 10th of jan << Woot .. back to work afters never ending fun

jcarle

jcarle

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,579 posts
I was going to post about this but considering the original post's date and the lack of a response from the original poster, I'd almost say this is a dead topic.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN