Can someone help me with a simple guide to using

@Marz:

1) It sounds suspicious with the WMP 8 hotfix, but the problem is in the hotfix itself, not the method. It would need the Documents and Settings directory to add things to the default user and all userprofiles. I install WMP9, so I cannot help you there. The hot fixes are instaled one at a time, regardless of success/failure of previous hotfix. Documents ad Setting structures are already created at this point for both the "All User" and the "Default User".

2) Again, I do not do drivers, so I leave those who know to reply. Running HKCU.reg from GuiRunOnce is not very interesting: it is too late to add most Explorer and IE visual preferences, and any modifications would be only valid for the current user, probably the administrator, as opposed to all users.

I also do not use $OEM$\$$ or $OEM$\$1, as I do not need to. If I did, it would only be for certain files I wanted present on the final installation, not for temporary installation files.

3) You really don't want to be using OE ...

In all it seems that you are making a simple problem more complicated that you need to, thus you run into debugging problems. I have never heard of shoot the mess, or the UnPnP program, but if you are just out to disable windows services, do it from your HKLM reg file: it is much clearer, and it is far from sure that these programs you are using can function correctly from windows when the shell is not active. I am personally rather picky about how a Default user should be configured, and I manage to have it my way, only using the registry, and copying (and deleting) shortcuts. I do everything from CMDLINES.TXT, in this order:

Install Windows "Extras" (WMP9, MM2, DX9, .Net, MSJavaVM, MDAC)

Install non silpstreamed hotfixes

Import .reg settings

Delete files

Add files

Add/Disable Users

I like to keep individual tasks isolated, and this is all I want out of an XP installation CD. Being assured that MS components interact correctly is a chore in itself. Doing the same for third party software is certainly not easier.

3)  It appears my Hide Messenger setting didn't even work at all! :)  I'm pretty sure I did it right, here's how it was laid out:

;Do not allow Windows/MSN Messenger to start with Outlook Express
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express]
"Hide Messenger"=dword:00000001

Sure enough, I check regedit and it's correctly set to 1, but OE doesn't seem to even acknowledge this, and still brings up Windows Messenger every time I go to check my e-mail!  Should I insert the setting into HKCU instead?

The key you're looking for is "HKCU\Identities\{your-identity-number}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Rules"

You can adapt this method to determine your identity.

3)  It appears my Hide Messenger setting didn't even work at all! :rolleyes:  I'm pretty sure I did it right, here's how it was laid out:

;Do not allow Windows/MSN Messenger to start with Outlook Express
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express]
"Hide Messenger"=dword:00000001

Sure enough, I check regedit and it's correctly set to 1, but OE doesn't seem to even acknowledge this, and still brings up Windows Messenger every time I go to check my e-mail!  Should I insert the setting into HKCU instead?

The key you're looking for is "HKCU\Identities\{your-identity-number}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Rules"

You can adapt this method to determine your identity.

Looks neat to me! :) But it's weird, I'm sure I remember the Hide Messenger setting (done how I did it) worked perfectly before, making OE not notice Messenger one jot.

Can this special OE tweak be performed during the GUI setup, however? Or will I have to try it out afterwards?

2) Again, I do not do drivers, so I leave those who know to reply. Running HKCU.reg from GuiRunOnce is not very interesting: it is too late to add most Explorer and IE visual preferences, and any modifications would be only valid for the current user, probably the administrator, as opposed to all users.
Actually GM, if you traced back to my previous posts, you'd have noticed that I run HKCU.reg during the GUI setup as well. The command to merge it again in GUIRunOnce was to ensure that it would properly activate my choices.
3) You really don't want to be using OE ...

Well, I am... :)

In all it seems that you are making a simple problem more complicated that you need to, thus you run into debugging problems. I have never heard of shoot the mess, or the UnPnP program, but if you are just out to disable windows services, do it from your HKLM reg file: it is much clearer, and it is far from sure that these programs you are using can function correctly from windows when the shell is not active. I am personally rather picky about how a Default user should be configured, and I manage to have it my way, only using the registry, and copying (and deleting) shortcuts. I do everything from CMDLINES.TXT, in this order:

Install Windows "Extras" (WMP9, MM2, DX9, .Net, MSJavaVM, MDAC)

Install non silpstreamed hotfixes

Import .reg settings

Delete files

Add files

Add/Disable Users

Ok, but how do you do that second activation of HKCU.reg without using GUIRunOnce? I would still need to use GRO to delete my Drivers folder, I reckon.

... I decided to try and use GUIRunOnce to run a simple command that would delete itself in the end.  It's called "After.cmd" and it goes out like this:

@ECHO OFF

RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\Drivers
REGEDIT /S HKCU.reg
DEL After.cmd
EXIT

Sorry, I did not go back and read over your posts, and still haven't. The line above led me to believe that you were merging HKCU from the GuiRunOnce (...don't know why...). Many people here make changes to HKCU from the administrator (GuiRunOnce), and this has no effect on any user other than the administrator. Merging again, to "ensure that it would properly activate my choices" will have no effect except for the administrator account. That's all I was trying to say.
Well, I am...
OK. 3) Should read "I do not personally use or configure OE, so I cannot help you there."
Ok, but how do you do that second activation of HKCU.reg without using GUIRunOnce? I would still need to use GRO to delete my Drivers folder, I reckon.
Again, the second .reg merge is futile. I do not know much about the drivers, but if the video drivers are already installed at this point, you can remove the "Drivers" directory. I would think that GRO would be a fine place to do cleanup, but again, these are not the methods I use, so I prefer to let others answer.

Lastly, the setting mentioned by Geeko should work at any point (though you may need to restart). It is not one of the Explorer or IE HKCU Visual Settings. You can at least test it without building a system.

I say you are making a simple problem complicated, because you have too many unrelated problems. It looks as you made a complete installation from the top down, instead of bottom up. I have difficulty debugging in this fashion: perhaps you do not. I prefer to start with the MS standard unattended setup, insure that all is working, and then add the modules one at a time, moving on to the next module only after the previous is error free.

Chill: I was only trying to give you a hand looking in the right direction...

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this thread has made me realize how ugly looking my big fat batch file really is. Of course, I've never remade the entire CD, it's one revision that started a year ago. Just now I took out all of the hotfixes (which I had called from this same batch file) so that I could put them in with the svcpack.inf

@ECHO off
ECHO Removing Wallpapers...
DEL "%systemroot%\Blue Lace 16.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Coffee Bean.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\FeatherTexture.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Gone Fishing.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Greenstone.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Prairie Wind.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Rhododendron.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\River Sumida.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Santa Fe Stucco.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Soap Bubbles.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Zapotec.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Crystal.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Friend.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Home.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Moon flower.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Peace.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Power.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Purple flower.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Radiance.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Ripple.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Stonehenge.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Vortec space.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Ascent.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Autumn.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Azul.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Follow.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Red moon desert.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Tulips.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Wind.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Bliss.bmp"
ECHO Removing Screensavers...
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\scrnsave.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ss3dfo.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssbezier.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssflwbox.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmarque.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmypics.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmyst.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\sspipes.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssstars.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\sstext3d.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\scrnsave.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ss3dfo.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssbezier.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssflwbox.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssmarque.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssmypics.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssmyst.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\sspipes.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssstars.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\sstext3d.scr"

TITLE Installing Programs
%SystemDrive%\Apps\kill.exe /f msmsg
%SystemDrive%\apps\sleep.exe 5
%SystemDrive%\apps\kill.exe /f msmsg
%SystemDrive%\Apps\cscript //b remmes.vbs
ECHO Now installing programs:
path %path%;%SystemDrive%\apps;%SystemDrive%\apps\hotfix
ECHO Installing ATI Control Panel
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait "%systemdrive%\Drivers\ATI\Setup.exe" -s -f1"%systemdrive%\Drivers\ATI\setup.iss"
ECHO Installing Flashget 1.4
start /wait "%SystemDrive%\Apps\Flashget14.exe" -s
ECHO Speeding up network
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} /f
ECHO Deleting annoying system sounds...
del "%systemroot%\Media\Windows XP Shutdown.wav"
del "%systemroot%\Media\Windows XP Startup.wav"
ECHO Applying Registry Tweaks
regedit -s %systemdrive%\apps\RegTweaks.reg
regedit -s %systemdrive%\apps\runonce.reg
ECHO Installing Windows Media Player v9.0
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\mpsetupxp.exe /Q
ECHO Installing Windows Media 9 Series Codecs
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\WM9Codecs.exe /Q
ECHO Installing Windows Media 9 Series Encoders
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\WMEncoder.exe /Q
ECHO Installing Windows Media Player TweakMP
%SystemDrive%\apps\TweakMP.EXE /Q
ECHO Installing Windows Media Player 9 Bonus Pack
%SystemDrive%\apps\wmbonusxp.exe /Q
ECHO Installing WinRar 3.20
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\wrar320.exe /s
ECHO Installing AIM 5.2
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\insaim.exe /silent
ECHO Installing Acrobat Reader 6.0
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\acrord\setup.exe /S /v/qn
ECHO Installing PowerDVD XP 5.0
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\pdvd\setup.exe -s -f1 %SystemDrive%\apps\pdvd\setup.iss
ECHO Installing TweakUI Powertoy
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\tweakuipt /S /v/qn
ECHO Installing Command Prompt Here Powertoy
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\cmdherpt /S /v/qn
ECHO Updating TweakUI Powertoy to v2.10
copy %SystemDrive%\Apps\tweakui.exe %systemroot%\system32\tweakui.exe /y
ECHO Installing Kazaa Lite v2.41 K++ Edition
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\klitekpp243e /silent
ECHO Installing Nero Burning ROM v6.0.0.19
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\nero\Nero60019.exe /silent /noreboot
ECHO Installing Codec Pack v2.05 Full
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\klcodec205f.exe /silent
ECHO Installing Alcohol 120
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\msiexec.exe -i %systemdrive%\apps\alc120\setup.msi /q
regedit -s %systemdrive%\apps\alc120\sets.reg
ECHO Installing IsoBuster
start /wait %systemdrive%\apps\IsoBuster14.exe /VERYSILENT /SP-
ECHO Killing ISOBuster.exe process
%systemdrive%\apps\kill.exe /f isobuster.exe
ECHO Cracking Flashget
copy %SystemDrive%\Apps\Flashget.exe "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Flashget\Flashget.exe"
ECHO Installing Google Toolbar
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %SystemRoot%\GoogleToolbar.dll
ECHO Installing Quicktime Alternative v1.1.6
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\qtalt116.exe /silent
Echo Installing Real Alternative v1.0.9
start /wait %systemDrive%\apps\realalt109.exe /silent
ECHO Installing Symantec Corporate AV Client v8.1
start /wait %SystemDrive%\apps\savceclt.exe /qn
ECHO Registering Nero
regedit -s %SystemDrive%\apps\nero\neroser.reg
Disabling Messenger Service...
sc config Messenger start= Disabled
ECHO Removing desktop shortcuts
del "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Free AOL & Unlimited Internet.url"
del "%UserProfile%\Desktop\WinISO.lnk"
del "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Windows Uptime.lnk"
del "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\DAEMON Tools.lnk"
del "%UserProfile%\Favorites\Free AOL & Unlimited Internet.url"
del "%UserProfile%\Desktop\KaZaA Lite.lnk"
del "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Serv-U.lnk"
del "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Kazaa Lite.lnk"
del "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\BSPlayer.lnk"
del "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\PowerDVD.lnk"
del "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Adobe Reader 6.0.lnk"
del "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Like Music - Try AOL!.url"
ECHO Changing Around Start Menu Shortcuts
del "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\*.*" /q
del "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\*.*" /q
mkdir "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps"
mkdir "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps"
move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\AOL Instant Messenger" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\AOL Instant Messenger"
move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\K-Lite Codec Pack" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\K-Lite Codec Pack"
move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Alcohol 120%" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Alcohol 120%"
move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Kazaa Lite K++" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Kazaa Lite K++"
move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Nero" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Nero"
move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime Alternative" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\QuickTime Alternative"
move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Smart Projects\IsoBuster" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\IsoBuster"
rmdir /s /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Smart Projects"
move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Symantec Client Security" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Symantec Client Security"
del "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Alcohol 120%.lnk"
del "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Kazaa Lite K++.lnk"
move "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Real Alternative\" "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Real Alternative"

move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Serv-U FTP Server" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Serv-U FTP Server"
move "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\WinRAR" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\WinRAR"
move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Windows Media"
del /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Movie Maker.lnk"
del /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\MSN Explorer.lnk"
del /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Messenger.lnk"
del /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Aol For Broadband.lnk"
del /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\AOL Instant Messenger.lnk"
del /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\AOL For Broadband.lnk"
del /q "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Serv-U.lnk"
del /q "%UserProfile%\Desktop\KaZaA Lite.lnk"
del /q "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Remote Assistance.lnk"
move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Kazaa Lite" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Kazaa Lite"
move "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Powertoys for Windows XP" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Powertoys for Windows XP"
move "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Winamp" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Winamp"
move "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\WinISO v5.3" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\WinISO v5.3"
move "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Internet Explorer.lnk"
move "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook Express.lnk" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Outlook Express.lnk"
move "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Windows Media\Windows Media Player.lnk"
%SystemRoot%\system32\xcopy.exe "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Windows Media\Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP" /I
rmdir /s /q "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP"
rmdir /s /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\PrintMe Internet Printing"
move "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk" "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Internet Explorer.lnk"
move "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook Express.lnk" "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Outlook Express.lnk"
mkdir "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Windows Games\"
move "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe Reader 6.0.lnk" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Apps\Adobe Reader 6.0.lnk"
copy "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Games\*.*" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Windows Games\*.*"
del /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Games\*.*"
rmdir /s /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\WinRAR"
%systemdrive%\apps\sleep 2
ECHO Now I will change CD Drive letter's and stuff
ECHO Changing CD-Rom to Z:
%SystemDrive%\Apps\cscript.exe //B %SystemDrive%\Apps\changecdZ.vbs
%SystemDrive%\Apps\sleep.exe 2
ECHO Changing HDD to E:
%SystemDrive%\Apps\cscript.exe //B %SystemDrive%\Apps\changeHD.vbs
%SystemDrive%\Apps\sleep.exe 2
ECHO Changing CD-Rom to D:
%SystemDrive%\Apps\cscript.exe //B %SystemDrive%\Apps\changecdD.vbs
rmdir %systemdrive%\ñ
ECHO Restarting System in 1 Minute
%systemroot%\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 60
%SystemDrive%\Apps\cscript //b remmes.vbs
sleep 3

Talk about ugly.

Oh well reading this thread has inspsired me to redo my entire CD

are you changing the drive letters at the end of your script

if yes how do you do that?

could you post the vbs and that cscript.exe?

Thanks

Cscript is found in your system32 folder:

As for the scripts, sure:

' Script that changes drive letters
' Note: Do NOT use it on SYSTEM or BOOT partition drive letters !!!
' Author: Torgeir Bakken

sComputer = "."
Const HKLM = &H80000002

' from/to
If ChangeDrvLetter("E:", "Z:") Then
 WScript.Echo "Drive letters changed, please reboot to see the change!"
Else
 WScript.Echo "Failed changing drive letters!"
End If

Function ChangeDrvLetter(sSourceDrive, sTargetDrive)
 bOK = True  ' Init value
 Set oReg = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" _
    & sComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

sKeyPath = "SYSTEM\MountedDevices"
 sSrc = "\DosDevices\" & UCase(sSourceDrive)

iRC = oReg.GetBinaryValue(HKLM, sKeyPath, sSrc, sValue)

If iRC = 0 Then
   sTrg = "\DosDevices\" & UCase(sTargetDrive)

iRC = oReg.SetBinaryValue(HKLM, sKeyPath, sTrg, sValue)

If iRC = 0 Then
     oReg.DeleteValue HKLM, sKeyPath, sSrc
   Else
     bOK = False
   End If
 Else
   bOK = False
 End If
 ChangeDrvLetter = bOK
End Function

Note: I didn't write that.

To change it to whatever drives you want, edit the

If ChangeDrvLetter("E:", "Z:") Then

line, the first Drive letter is the Drive you want to change, the second letter is the drive letter you want assigned to it.

@Capdilly

I love your ugly install CMD :)

I would have a stupid question about the registration process: ie, in your script, you install PowerDVD and Nero: both require registration. I can't figure how i could "pre-create" the regfile from a serial number ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

@Capdilly

I would have a stupid question about the registration process: ie, in your script, you install PowerDVD and Nero: both require registration. I can't figure how i could "pre-create" the regfile from a serial number

TIA

This page shows how to register Nero, but instead of using the batch shown, import the reg file first then install Nero, this will prevent the shortcuts/folder being called "Nero Demo"

http://www.MSFN.org/unattended/xp/applicat...ations/nero.htm