Windows 98 SE on nForce4

kb80

Hi

Is there any chance to start windows 98 SE on nForce4 chipset mobo? /asus a8n sli premium/. CPU is Athlon 64 3700+, ram 1G; 512+ ram problem solved by limiting ram usage in SYSTEM.INI. I know, nf4 vs. win98 is unsupported, but sometimes I need to access the winxp particion outside winxp :)). Currently I move the hdd to another system in this situation; i would like to avoid this; my previous motherboard allowed this by a working win98se; NTFS support is OK:). I have IE6SP1+all security updates and hotfixes installed; for win98 and IE, too+dx9, and most of the msdn unofficial patches, too. Win98 se starts up in safe mode; i removed the ACPI Bios from device magager->win98 could start up in normal mode, searched for new hardware without PNP->could find the 'ACPI BIOS' and it installed the hardwares with PNP 1 by 1 with no problem. But when I restarted again, win98 failed to start up, remaining the same problem. All the 'extra' hardwares were disabled in bios /sata, raid, audio, c'n'q etc/. HDD is IDE. Maybe one of the ACPI drivers have a 'bug' of handling this chipset? Or just have to disable or update some 'incompatible' m$ driver/dll? Somebody with any useful tip?

Thanx

Edited by kb80

• 2 years later...