File I cannot open

rootvetwife

I have no problem with sending you the file. Maybe you can get further than anyone else has so far or at least end my hope that the book is still in fact there. =/

The cd that I save it on has all sorts of other files that belong to the family as well.

Got it, unfortunately, it seems like the file you sent me has been "tampered with".

Basically all occurrences of 00 (binary 0) have been replaced with 20 (space), cannot say if other modifications have occurred.

Are you sure that the file you sent me is the one you got from the CD, without ANY attempt to open it in any application?

If you are not, please, re-save the file from CD and re-send it to me.

jaclaz

Well, as I see it, rules in these kind of matters are:

#1 DON'T PANIC

#2 NEVER GIVE UP

Game is not over yet ;)

DL. are you still with us?

I got to the point where the file "almost" (but not quite) works, your idea was correct, the file besides the 00/20 substitution is encrypted, or to be more exact it is password protected for opening.

I am still working on it.....

jaclaz

UPDATE (public, for private part check your e-mail)

I had another go with the file.

I got to the point where different versions of Word (and most other

programs) recognize the file as password protected.

I still cannot say if this can be due to some kind of "residual"

corruption of the file (or new one caused by changes I did) or if

it is just because the password is different.

It is still to early to give up....;)

jaclaz

I'm still with you, just observing to see if someone else is successful in opening the file.

I forgot to mention I saw the file in hex too, but it didn't give me any useful info except the names. I did a binary comparison with another .doc-file to try to find out if the file structure looked the same; however I'm not used to working at the binary level so I didn't find anything.

I had the idea on parts of the file being encrypted and the rest corrupted or altered to prevent opening, unfortunately I didn't know how/where to split the file.

I tried several progs/services in order to maybe break the encryption and/or password, but none of them could even recognize the file.

I'm still with you, just observing to see if someone else is successful in opening the file.

If you PM me your e-mail address I can send you the "improved" version of the file, so that you can have another try with it.

jaclaz