Vista Command LINE

jaclaz

Though I am not going to upgrade to Vista ANY soon, I just found this, that appears like a nice little thingie, for all of you that already are Vista users:

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/commandpromptgadget.asp

This gadget tries to improve this old Windows utility - the Command Prompt - by making it accessible through the Sidebar and by making its interface more customizable, while still retaining as much of the functionality as possible. If Linux has at least a dozen Command Prompt replacements, why should Windows have only one? And even that one command prompt, looks quite out of place in the new Vista Aero interface...

(and it should work under XP too)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 4 weeks later...

@Brando569

If you would have cared to actually read the link I gave, you would have seen that it is not a command prompt replacement, but rather a visual improvement to it.

And this makes 260 views, no thankyous, and 2 "unfriendly" replies to this thread.... :wacko:

Guess that next time I find something nice I'd better keep the info to myself. :ph34r:

jaclaz

And this makes 260 views, no thankyous

Well, just like you, I'm not running Vista (not yet anyways). And there's already a good bunch of somewhat similar projects -- things to make the command prompt prettier, although not in a Vista sidebar thingy, like console (sourceforge project). Kinda becomes redundant at some point IMO, and it's very much a matter of preferences. I'm not sure I even want a sidebar at all... I guess I'll ahve to try Vista to see if it just gets in the way or if it's actually useful.

Personally, most of the time I just use VSCmdShell (v1.1, inside VS2005). That, along with the old The old "command here" shell integration/reg tweak. Couldn't care less how ugly it looks really, as long as it's functional and efficient. I do use a custom font for legibility though.

Don't see this as a 3rd negative post, it's nice of you sharing good findings, but not everyone's going to go crazy over such an addon for an OS almost nobody runs yet. I think you just had set your expectations a little too high perhaps.