Vista QFE slipstreaming

For 929399, try doing the following:

Copy windowsmedia11-kb929399-x86-intl.exe to the same folder that you're copying MRT.exe to in the WIM. Then in the unattend add a second command:

<SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">

<CommandLine>%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download\windowsmedia11-kb929399-x86-intl.exe /quiet</CommandLine>

<Order>2</Order>

</SynchronousCommand>

and see if that works.

I haven't tested it but it should probably/hopefully work.

Edited by Arneh

Actually, here's a different way that may turn out to be better for 929399. I repacked the contents of 929399 that were downloaded via WU into a .cab file. The .cab file can then be imported/installed using peimg.

peimg c:\mount\windows /import=c:\Windows6.0-KB929399-x86.cab

peimg /install=*Package* c:\mount\windows

I've used this method before of repacking updates for other updates that I was playing around with it and it seemed to work fine.

Cab file is at: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8MUSLPZM

After importing/installing, you should see:

929399kj0.jpg

THX , but i use a Dutch version of Vista :blushing:

929399 is an international update I believe according to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929399 so applying that Cab to your Dutch version should work fine I think. If not, then the exe /quiet method can still be used although I haven't tested it personally yet.

Edited by Arneh

ok i will try.

And do i always have to start with a clean vista? or can i just add the hotfix in your tool and let it run on the same vista with the hotfixes already in it?

You should be able to continue adding hotfixes to the wim using the tool but I would suggest removing the following so as not to create any confusion to the process:

-the MSU's from the x86 folder that you've already integrated

-the contents of the DreamScene folder since that's also integrated

-the contents of the PowerShell folder if you've also already integrated it

ie. make a folder called Backup or something and store the ones already integrated there.

I haven't tried to see what would happen if you were to reintegrate the same Hotfix hence why I'm suggesting removing them for the time being.

Edited by Arneh

For the 929399 Cab however, you'll have to do it manually because my builder handles/sees only .msu in the main x86 directory.

Or, you can update the batch yourself adding:

for %%v IN (..\VistaUpdates\%arch%\*.cab) DO ..\VistaUpdates\tools\peimg\peimg ..\VistaUpdates\mount\windows /import="%%v"

After the following lines:

ECHO Importing Hotfixes, Please Wait...

for %%v IN (..\VistaUpdates\%arch%\HotfixTemp\*.cab) DO ..\VistaUpdates\tools\peimg\peimg ..\VistaUpdates\mount\windows /import="%%v"

in the batch file.

So with that you can stick .cab files in x86 and they'll get integrated as well.

Edited by Arneh

@ Arneh

Very useful posting, thanks will be bookmarking this one.

:thumbup

:)

I showed the peimg stuff to nuhi a few weeks back prior to posting the first article on WB, haven't had a chance to talk to him since then but hopefully he's working on a GUI implementation via vLite using this method or something else he comes up with. A simple "Select Folder with Updates" option would be neat to have in vLite where it scans a folder for .msu and .cab and attempts to integrate.

@ Arneh

Very useful posting, thanks will be bookmarking this one.

:thumbup

:)

I showed the peimg stuff to nuhi a few weeks back prior to posting the first article on WB, haven't had a chance to talk to him since then but hopefully he's working on a GUI implementation via vLite using this method or something else he comes up with. A simple "Select Folder with Updates" option would be neat to have in vLite where it scans a folder for .msu and .cab and attempts to integrate.

Would indeed be a handy extra, not to mention time saved when in testing etc.

For the 929399 Cab however, you'll have to do it manually because my builder handles/sees only .msu in the main x86 directory.

for %%v IN (..\VistaUpdates\%arch%\*.cab) DO ..\VistaUpdates\tools\peimg\peimg ..\VistaUpdates\mount\windows /import="%%v"

for %%v IN (..\VistaUpdates\%arch%\HotfixTemp\*.cab) DO ..\VistaUpdates\tools\peimg\peimg ..\VistaUpdates\mount\windows /import="%%v"

in the batch file.

So with that you can stick .cab files in x86 and they'll get integrated as well.

Cant i just ad it to the x86\UE folder?

If not, in wich folder i need to put the cab?

in the batch file.

Cant i just ad it to the x86\UE folder?

If not, in wich folder i need to put the cab?

You could, however the \x86\UE\ folder only gets integrated with the Ultimate index in the wim, not the rest, so if you only just care about Ultimate, you could just stick it in there.

If you want all the versions to get it, then stick it in \x86\ and add that line of code from above in the batch file.

Edited by Arneh

You could, however the \x86\UE\ folder only gets integrated with the Ultimate index in the wim, not the rest, so if you only just care about Ultimate, you could just stick it in there.

If you want all the versions to get it, then stick it in \x86\ and add that line of code from above in the batch file.

\x86\UE\ worked, thx