Internet Connection Problems (Weird)

yourcatch22

Hey guys, I got a problem for you that I can't figure out.

I just upgraded from XP to Vista Enterprise edition last week. Ever since my upgrade my internet connection has been inconsistent. After several minutes, or heavy usage such as running 2 or 3 tabs in firefox :} , my connection will become extremely limited - websites are unable to be reached, mail server can't be reached, etc. Sometimes when I diagnose the problem, it will repair it and the problem will be fixed. Other times it will say that Vista is unable to repair the problem, and still other times it will simply say there is no problem. The only way of fixing it is by disabling my network card then renabling it or by restarting my pc, which fixes the problem for a little bit, only for the above to be repeated again in the next 20 minutes.

My network card is a Intel PRO/VE 100. I have updated all the drivers and according to vista I have the correct drivers. My internet connection is offered through my college, and I know it works fine because my room mate never has connection problems like this, nor did I prior to the upgrade. I have disabled IP helper, QOS Pack Management, and IPv6 in hopes it would fix the problem - it hasn't.

If someone could please help me figure this one out I would really appreciate it.

Are you using the driver package provided from Intel's website? Because I have the same adapter and had much trouble after using the new Intel software. I was getting 30-40% CPU usage just from network transfers, causing my entire system to run more sluggish. After reinstalling Vista recently, I stuck with the default drivers that come with the OS, and that problem has not occured. I think the newer Intel drivers use a different form of task offloading that does not play well with Vista (even though they say they are compatible.)

Try uninstalling the Intel adapter driver package (if you are using that) and go back to the stock drivers that came with Vista. That solved my troubles.