Elevated privledges from CMD prompt

stinkywea

OK, trying to do a simple 'ipconfig/release' and I get the following: "The requested operation requires elevation." I think I'm setup as an admin, but with all this crazy user access stuff I don't really know. And I'm also getting the following from the prompt too: 'bcedit/set nointegritychecks ON' and with this I get this one "The boot configuration data could not be opened. Access is denied."

I know it's probably simple, so any help??

This is much faster:

1) Hit "the button formally known as Start".

2) Type in "cmd" in the Search box.

3) Right-click on "cmd" that appears in the results and click "Run as administrator".

Agree to run as admin, and have a nice day.

Diable UAC (User Account Control) under Security Center..

OR

Run Registry Editor (to run registry editor press winkey+R and type regedit in run dialog box).

To show and hide User names from logon screen, navigate the registry using Registry Editor

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Now create new key named as SpecialAccounts under winlogon, then create another key named as UserList.

Now the navigation is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Create a DWORD (32-bit) value named as “Administrator” and set the value “1”.

Administrator A/c is now enabled and U can login and enjoy all tools without permission dialogbox

OR

right click on Computer and click on Manage

Navigate to Local Users and Groups -> Users -> Admininstrator

look the properties of Admininstrator and uncheck the box "Account is disabled"

Now U can login in Administratot and enjoy all tools without permission dialogbox

Edited by neo

Actually from what I've seen, UAC has no bearing on being able to run with elevated privledges. I disabled it cuz that's the only way that I know of to kill those annoying popups. (IE7 may have a better popup blocker, but now I'm being inundated from the OS!)

I tried the Windows version of su by creating a link that uses something like "runas /noprofile /user:computername\Administrator cmd.exe" but I got an error message like so:

RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run - cmd.exe

1327: Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced.

So is there some inherent policy that restricts the actual utility they put in place for this? I don't always want to right-click or log off and log back in as the local admin. Why can't it just be a simple thing to configure?

Well, unless you enable it, on a default install of Vista the administrator account is disabled. That may affect your ability to use the administrator account via runas. If it is enabled but you have not configured a password, it would also not allow you to use the account as a runas target.