STOP: C000021A & STOP: 000000144 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR

acmeco

Hello guys...

this is wonderful website and a very helping forum. i have been using this website for about last 6 months now - but felt the need to post a problem today only.... pls help!

a pentium d 820 with intel d101 board system was infected with a virus (i ascertained this much as after logging in as administrator i was not able (permitted!) to run a regedit..!! as soon as i typed regedit, the system wud restart stating that i did not have privileges to run this program). so i just advised a format to the pc owner and he agreed ( i should have checked it first with an updated anti virus and cleaned it of any infections).

but now after formatting the hard drive and reinstalling winxppro, it goes upto the windows desktop only for the first time - and then when i restart, it gives a bsod stating the subject error msg. first it was

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x0000000)

The system has been shutdown.

and after a couple of restarts it changed to

STOP: D0000144 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR

i again deleted the c: drive, re=partitioned it with winxp inbuilt disk manager,formated it and then installed xp, but with same results.

i am trying a "zero fill" operation right now, but am not sure whether it will help. its an seagate 80g sata hard drive. tried low level format before, but it failed - so doing a zero fill right now. the tool is ontrack disk manager v9.57

please help me overcome this problem guys!

thanks in advance!

Nitesh

Not scanning for a virus was a mistake on my side - i just went ahead with formatting the system. Yes, I looked up the stop:21a error and it says

==============================================

This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP can’t run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

================================================

here i wud like to add that i formatted the hard drive twice and reinstalled win xp twice. but after failing on both counts, i zero-filled the drive (took agonizing 10 hrs!) and then reinstalled xp this morning, only to get the same result. all the three times the exact following scenario has occured

step 1 : format the hd

step 2 : installed the os

step 3 : restarted xp for first time after reaching the desktop and there it is - BSOD with c000021a on all three times during boot up.

i fail to understand what causes this error .....

...SOFTWARE/DRIVERS = possible. But there's only the raw os on hd

...FAULTY HARD DISK = aldy checked with seatools which says its good. and if it wasn't, why wud it let me work on it.

...ANY OTHER FAULTY HARDWARE = cannot be possible. the system is relatively new and apart from this bsod error there is no other indication of a faulty hardware.

please suggest a solution, sir.

Nitesh

Since your STOP 0x21A is always the windows logon process (winlogon.exe), and the error status code is 0xc34:

0xc34: STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

- Object Name not found

It almost sounds like it's either not installing winlogon.exe, or one of it's dependencies. If you've reinstalled, and each time you get the same problem, I'd say your installation media is highly suspect. If you're able to configure your machine for a complete memory dump when it does work the very first logon, at least when it crashes after the second logon you can generate a dump I can analyze to tell you what the problem really is (although getting it off of the machine may be tricky, if it won't boot back up ever again). Come to think of it, this sounds like a job for a remote kernel debugger... Try new media first, as the remote kernel debugger requires a second machine, a free COM port, a 9pin null-modem cable, and some know-how that I'd rather not go into if new media will resolve this :).

1) remove any slave drives, external drives, extra media etc. [unplugging is fine, no need to physically remove]

or

2) take out the CPU for a few minutes, place it back in and reboot. [oddly enough thats solved problems for me in the past]

if its off a fresh boot, its something local on the machine...also unplug any ethernet cables or remove antenna for wireless...something has to be causing it.

:thumbup

thanks cluberti & bonestonne

you guys have saved my day! ... cluberti's diagnosis of suspect media was accurate. The media i was using was pretty old and was customized by me for the unattended installation. Although, I've been using it for a long time, but some how, that media was not installing winlogon.exe or one of its dependencies (maybe because of its scratched surface), as cluberti suggested, which caused the error. So I took up the original media and completed the installation. I have also loaded the entire intel board driver's cd and the pc is still working fine.

thanks again :thumbup

Nitesh

• 3 years later...

:thumbup

C000021A & STOP: all errors .for xp professional.(it is all winlogon troubles of game or any program)

dont delete winlogon.exe !!!! or any system file without read perfectly.dont install any exe or .reg .bat file .

1-first chek this address.you must search about reg edit fix reg edit repair .default regedit.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669/tr --- you search your language in support microsoft.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm -----search registry files.

http://www.exterminate-it.com/malpedia/remove-mssmgr

check your hijack log.

2- install to that security programs same time .

install this and update or buy .AVG internet security v.9.0801 .

install other registiry celaner v.3.0.1 chek update .

install junkfiles monitor v1.0 and (open auto strat check)

install this advanced system care pro v.3.5.0 buy or update.

install iobit security360 (open auto start all installed programs.)

when your all installation is finish .same time you start this all programs .scan and clean scan and clean evry time every day .your xp system will be turn your default registry systems .by time and bye scan and clean.3 days you make update all programs.

if you have any error lockable files or programs you install perfect uninstaller or final uninstaller.

advanced system care pro will show to your monitor same error file .when you see same error file is in your system .update again all security programs .you start all security programs start on the desktop and scan errors.

iobit securty will be redefault your system by time .

adavnced stystem care and AVG internet securty when show to you green message system is cleen or secure .

start +close computer +close when you see blue monitor C000021A & STOP DONT CLOSE SWİTCH OFF POWER .YOU TAKE OUT YOUR ELECTRYCITY CABLE SOCKET.AND START YOUR COMPUTER .İT WİLL BE OKaY .