norton goback on windows drive, 2nd linux drive question?

leoliver

Hi Everybody,

I have Norton Goback 4.0 installed on my only hard drive; which has XP pro for a operating system.

As I'm interested in Linux, I was thinking of installing a 2nd hard drive with a Linux version for a operating system. Now, I know that Norton Goback 4.0 cannot be installed on any hard drive that has a dual boot windows/Linux OS system.

However, if I add a 2nd hard drive, that has only Linux , could that still cause problems with Norton Goback?

I'm asking this question because I've never had a computer with a 2nd hard drive. Would the two hard drives share any computer resources such as the MBR , which could cause conflicts between Linux and Goback? Or would the two hard drives be totally independent of each other ?

Your feed back will be appreciated !

• 2 weeks later...

I had Norton Go-back myself for a short time and I think it does mess with the MBR so installing GRUB there as well probably would screw it up. Look at the MBR page of the Illustrated Dual Boot Site to see what I'm talking about. (An excellent site BTW. You might want to look through it.)

I Googled "dual boot windows ubuntu second drive" and came up with this page which seems to be a route that could work.

I'm sure the Windows bootloader screen he speaks of is the one that shows up if you have the Windows Recovery Console installed. On the pc I have that on, the screen comes up after the GRUB screen (it has already entered the Windows stage of the MBR.)

:lol: -- I just Googled "dual boot windows linux second drive norton go-back" and came up with another post of yours! (eggheadcafe) -- doesn't look too promising does it? The thing is though, the filesystem wouldn't be NTSF, it'd be Ext3. Go-back probably wouldn't be able to read it or write to it.

Have you ever actually used Go-back? I mean, are you absolutely 'married' to it? I'll tell you, I used Norton products fo awhile and just got sick of it. It seemed that most of the problems I had were either with Norton or a result of them. I re-installed WinXP without any Norton products a year ago (actually without any retail software at all to speak of, only freeware) and haven't had any serious problems since. Windows boots faster, runs leaner and if I do ever have to re-install it's a heck of a lot quicker and easier.

I'll get off my rant...

There's some other good Linux info here if you ever do get into it. You know, if you decide to go without Go-back, Linux doesn't take up much space. On my laptop I only allotted about 10GB for it --5.5gb for root, 4.5gb for /home, and 1GB for swap-(which is probably too much). I have all the software I want and still have space. It also really helps to set up a FAT32 partition to swap files between the operating systems. (Actually Go-back may have a problem with that as well.)

You best bet may just to try and find an older pc somewhere and put it on that.

I aplogize fo the length of the post but I get a little verbose when I'm tired!

good luck!

Edited by poor_kenny

I had Norton Go-back myself for a short time and I think it does mess with the MBR so installing GRUB there as well probably would screw it up. Look at the MBR page of the Illustrated Dual Boot Site to see what I'm talking about. (An excellent site BTW. You might want to look through it.)

I Googled "dual boot windows ubuntu second drive" and came up with this page which seems to be a route that could work.

I'm sure the Windows bootloader screen he speaks of is the one that shows up if you have the Windows Recovery Console installed. On the pc I have that on, the screen comes up after the GRUB screen (it has already entered the Windows stage of the MBR.)

:lol: -- I just Googled "dual boot windows linux second drive norton go-back" and came up with another post of yours! (eggheadcafe) -- doesn't look too promising does it? The thing is though, the filesystem wouldn't be NTSF, it'd be Ext3. Go-back probably wouldn't be able to read it or write to it.

Have you ever actually used Go-back? I mean, are you absolutely 'married' to it? I'll tell you, I used Norton products fo awhile and just got sick of it. It seemed that most of the problems I had were either with Norton or a result of them. I re-installed WinXP without any Norton products a year ago (actually without any retail software at all to speak of, only freeware) and haven't had any serious problems since. Windows boots faster, runs leaner and if I do ever have to re-install it's a heck of a lot quicker and easier.

I'll get off my rant...

There's some other good Linux info here if you ever do get into it. You know, if you decide to go without Go-back, Linux doesn't take up much space. On my laptop I only allotted about 10GB for it --5.5gb for root, 4.5gb for /home, and 1GB for swap-(which is probably too much). I have all the software I want and still have space. It also really helps to set up a FAT32 partition to swap files between the operating systems. (Actually Go-back may have a problem with that as well.)

You best bet may just to try and find an older pc somewhere and put it on that.

I aplogize fo the length of the post but I get a little verbose when I'm tired!

good luck!

Thanks for your reply ! You posted alot of good information and links.