Found the source of my problem, Please help me fix it

brokenwall

Well i finally used Virtual PC 2007 and tested on of the ISOs i made using it. and come to find out it works great inside of Virtual PC, but if i burn the ISO off to a CD and install it on a real computer i get the issues i talked about http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=93359 and well the thing i noticed different between the 2 installs is during the Full automated install and the "Saving Settings" step the real computer will take what seems to be an extremely long time to finish this step. but on the virutal PC install it just rolled right on by, and started up great.

im not sure what is causing this problem with the "Saving Settings" step to take so long. but i believe something is failing during that step which is causing me alot of issues with services, IE, and other files being missing.

please help.

Yes it works ok on a VPC.....when installed it has lots of bugs.

Source of all this is Nlite.....too many options put together......not integrated properly......like it's burner is crap.

Only good for slip streaming OS & SPs......rest may happen right by a chance.

Nlite should remove the bugs its filled with or switch over to some othe slip streaming software.

Just my thoughts....

@eDOC

With all due respect for a "Clinical Neurologist", I guess your attitude could be a bit more friendly.

From your posts it appears like you were not able to use nlite properly and now you denigrate it without a real reason, and by the way giving no info that could possibly help brokenwall.

@brokenwall

Really it is very difficult to help you if you just report "it doesn't boot" or :

and after windows installs it comes up and i can run msconfig.exe "says it cant find it or something like that" and all but 3 services are stopped. they are all set to Automatic.

To be able of (hopefully) help you, we need EXACT errors you get, NAMES of the services not starting, etc.

As suggested on the other thread, nlite is a VERY ADVANCED piece of software, that allows for making things that are not possible with "standard" tools, and like any of these kind of softwares it needs some PC and Windows knowledge background and it has a steep learning curve.

Some general suggestion I can make:

1) Get yourself some CDRW's

2) Try making just a slipstreamed build, with no other change

3) test it on a VM

4) burn it to rewritable media and test it on real hardware

5) If it works, make another build removing (or adding) just some (a group of) entries and loop back to step 3) until you find it not working

6) Partialize the items you removed or added und loop back to step 3) until you find the culprit

jaclaz

@jaclaz

yes I have built just builds that are only unattended.

builds that are only slipstreamed with updates and drivers

builds that have been slimmed down.

-At first i was only doing testing on a real machine till every said make sure it works in VM first. so i downloaded VPC and tested a couple of my builds. and they all work in VPC.

but when i install them on a real computer it seems as if im not getting all the files copied over. for example i "Don't" get any errors when installing windows at all. but after i get to the desktop and try to open IE it kicks back and says would you like to open with notepad? picture viewer? also when i try to run a couple things in the run line. they cant be found.

but these are working great on VPC and installs without any issues. I cant seem to see why it works great on VPC and when i burn that exact image to a CD-RW or CD for that matter it doesnt install on the real computer smoothly.

ill upload the last config i had. and ill try to get a list of the services arent starting on the real computer.

also it seems like on the real computer it takes a real long time during "Saving Settings" which i believe is T-15? correct?

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by brokenwall

i got the unattended CD running great and working perfectly on one of the older laptops, but on this recently build computer i cant seem to get it to want to install correctly.

it fails when the GUI loads for the first time, and after i put in the CD-Key and it starts copying files over it will just pause and skip the rest of the steps. then every other step will just run and fail.

The only thing different about the computer that is failing is that the hard drive is SATA

and i have loaded the F6 drivers fine. and also put the SATA controller into Native IDE simluation in the BIOS and i am still having issues with that computer only.