Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

NT4 Visual Update 3 Release Candidate 1

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
I seem to have found a bug in nt4vu2a1 when working on nt4vu2 for terminal server
It appears that these lines only modify these resources, but on a new install they need to be added which means that they dont seem to work has only had this result?
..\reshack\reshacker.exe -modify %windir%\system32\msgina.dll, %windir%\system32\msgina.dll, MSGINA_Bitmap.res,,,

..\reshack\reshacker.exe -modify %windir%\system32\winlogon.exe, %windir%\system32\winlogon.exe, winlogon_Bitmap.res,,,

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

nebivedu

nebivedu

• 12 posts
  • Joined 14-February 07
We're sorry, this file has expired.

How can i dl NT4 Visual Update 2 Alpha 1? can anyone send me this file to nebivedu@yahoo.com?

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
i can upload the newer version nt4 visual update 2 alpha 2 although i have had some weird results with it but i obviously should upload it elsewhere without a short expiry time

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
NT4 Visual Update 2 Alpha 2

Features:
NT4 Terminal Server support. (no shell update)
Fixes:
Copies 3 files instead of patching them because i can seem to patch bitmaps into the files if they dont already exist there, so no more bitmapless logon dialog on new installs
Some minor bugs with patching

Known Errors:

The system DLL user32..dll was relocated in memory the application will not run properly. the relocation occured because the DLL C:\winnt\system32\shell32.dll occupied an address range reserved for windows nt system dll'.

this occurs on nt4 without the shell update but i dont know why and i dont know how to fix it really, can i have some advise on that.

I had some weird results on an NT4 installation where regedit, user32, cmd.exe didnt get patched for some reason and i dont know why can anyone verify this?

I havent updated installer.exe at the moment but is it just me or is it broken

Can i please have some feedback and advice so i know how to fix more stuff, because id prefer that i wasnt the only tester to give feedback.

Download 9.64MB
http://www.divshare....load/842022-0a7

PS: this release maybe a little premature but it is an alpha and i might be more busy in the comming weeks so if i release it sooner it would probably be better

budious

budious
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-June 07
Link above expired, anyone have a mirror link or able to email the file? budious at gmail dot com, thanks! I just broke out the NT4 disk to revive an outdated laptop, this visual update looks promising. Keep up the good work.

Edited by budious, 18 June 2007 - 11:20 PM.

alexanrs

alexanrs

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Joined 30-August 05

Im trying to solve 'the riddle' of high color icons that most of the time disappear after shell update (I reinstalled quite few times NT4 on the same test machine, installed SP6 /postSP6/drivers/and did few settings and 9 out of 10 I loose the original high color icons when installing IE6 with shell update, but few times somehow they stayed there after shell update and its driving me nuts not to know what causes this ;) )

Windows NT 4 without the shell update uses icons from cool.dll (if it works like Win95+Plus) due registry settings. When the shell update is installed, it erases those settings and icons are once again loaded from shell32.dll. Also, if you look closely, these icons are NOT 16 color ones, they are 256-color ones, but they do not look as fancy. I could be wrong, of course, and MS added these COLL.DLL icons into the original Shell32.dll, in this case, only resource editing would do...

Known Errors:

The system DLL user32..dll was relocated in memory the application will not run properly. the relocation occured because the DLL C:\winnt\system32\shell32.dll occupied an address range reserved for windows nt system dll'.

this occurs on nt4 without the shell update but i dont know why and i dont know how to fix it really, can i have some advise on that.

I've seen that in WinXP+just about any Vista icon pack. I think it is because it makes SHELL32.DLL bigger, so it uses memory in an address range that overlaps the one that was originally intended for an system dll. Since the shell update replaces the SHELL32.dll with a newer version that contains more icon formats, odds are that it also has a different default start address, and therefore doesn't overlap that system dll. You could try patching SHELL32.DLL to use another start address if it detects the older version.

About 32-bit icons, you could try patching gdi32.dll to add an GdiAlphaBlend function. If you go to the Windows 9x forum you might notice a project called KernelEx, it patches the system DLLs and adds unimplemented funcions: if you use the same logic and implement that function, you might as well be able to use that Win2k Revolutions Pack DLL and add true 32-bit icon support to your project ;)

Btw, awergh, keep up the good work.

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
i remember the better icons being in shell32,dll when i patched it, but not sure cant remember.
ive been busy so i havent done anything on nt4vu2 but will resume soon.
i need a way to use another file as well as shell32.dll so that i dont get the error. just like Tihiy uses imageres.dll in rp.
kernelEx hasnt done anything with gdi32.dll, there maybe something comming for 32bit icons but i dont know yet

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
another link for nt4vu2a2
http://www.divshare....oad/1046981-beb

marxo

marxo

UI Designer

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Joined 30-September 06
Can someone give me the patched files in a rar file? This reshack patching is not working for me....

Posted Image
You don't wanna click there.

budious

budious
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-June 07
Thanks for the mirror, worked great for me!

Off topic question, where or how does one perform the shell update of explorer 4.0 -> 4.7 , I've read several threads mentioning this but have not found the original thread discussing the installation or containing files.

Edit: I found the information regarding IE4 and fortunately had a FrontPage 98 installation cd sitting around with IE4 installation files on it.

Edited by budious, 24 June 2007 - 10:00 PM.

no1none

no1none

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 18-April 07

Thanks for the mirror, worked great for me!

Off topic question, where or how does one perform the shell update of explorer 4.0 -> 4.7 , I've read several threads mentioning this but have not found the original thread discussing the installation or containing files.

Edit: I found the information regarding IE4 and fortunately had a FrontPage 98 installation cd sitting around with IE4 installation files on it.

You could do it with IE6 SP1 as well.
Just run ie6setup (downloaded from MS website) with additional switches to install it with shell update:
ie6setup.exe /C:"ie6wzd /e:IE4Shell_NTx86 /I:Y"
(edit: thats assuming your NT is located on drive C)
and it will download additional files (ie4shlnt.cab) and install shell update; the only difference is that it will not present you with the option to install or to not install "Desktop Update" as it happens with IE4.

Edited by no1none, 25 June 2007 - 02:40 AM.

budious

budious
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-June 07
Good, thanks for the info there. I tried using the IE4 installer on the FrontPage98 cd and it tried to access the Internet and would fail when the Microsoft servers didn't respond. The complete set of files seemed to be available on the CD however, so I manually extracted the ie4shlnt.cab with winrar and installed by right-clicking the .inf file. It seemed to work but the system BSOD on reboot, probably because I already had the visual update patch installed. It was just a VMware image that I was tweaking an integrated NT4 .iso file around. I'll use the command above and save a few steps the next time through.

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
Today thinking about NT4VU2 Beta 1
I made this System Properties Control Panel Applet Mod Thingy
Posted Image

It is based off the Vista I assume, I used this to make it
http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=82658
so what do you think?

budious

budious
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-June 07
Looks alright to me but in my opinion I was looking at the visual update for the icons and theme and other improvements such as the login. This apparently enlarges the system properties system dialog box as far as pixel dimensions are concerned and considering this is still NT4 and many people who may use your finished visual update may be operating it on old systems and monitors with low resolutions. I think it would make a nice optional update during the install but I prefer just to have the updated theme, icons, and unobtrusive graphical updates such as the login. Just my two cents.

marxo

marxo

UI Designer

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Joined 30-September 06
Here is one I made for NT4VU

Posted Image

awergh will use this one... I think that this one is better because it is standard size and it won't bother users with low resolution.

Edited by TM0d, 03 July 2007 - 03:53 AM.

Posted Image

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
NT4 Visual Update 2 Beta 1

Features
marxo's sysdm.cpl
some more patched icons here and there.
comctl32.dll is patched again i think
Patched the Wizards and things with the newer vista bitmaps rather than the xp versions.

Fixes
Fixed User32.dll memory relocations because of shell32.dll,
however shell32.dll is now included as a whole file.
Fixed a bug in the batch files where regedit.exe and user32.dll wasnt patched.
It is now a lot smaller because there are no 256x256 icons except in shell32.dll because i cant do anything about them in there.

Issues
installer.exe was removed because it didnt work
shell update and terminal server arent included in this version because i havent done anything with them because i havent been running the shell update. I will put them back next version dont worry. my problem was always shell32.dll and the shell update has a weird bug i havent fixed.
the shell32.dll included in nt4vu2b1 includes some avis which dont have transparency and i cant fix this because of user32.dll memory relocations, i have to start again to fix this and im not doing that till nt4vu2b2 i think.

Download 4.04MB
http://www.divshare....oad/1233576-4fe

Screenshot
Posted Image
dialog bitmap update

Edited by awergh, 11 July 2007 - 08:00 PM.

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
I made a little fix because there seems to be a problem with reshacker patching the files.
put the bat file in the reshack directory and run it and it will fix the problem else.
you could just delete the ResHacker.log and ResHacker.ini files and rename ResHacker.exe reshacker.exe yourself

Attached Files

marxo

marxo

UI Designer

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Joined 30-September 06
Here is a non-expiring link : NT Visual Update 2 Beta 1

Edited by marxo, 12 July 2007 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
i was wondering if i could have one of those, thanks

Dave.Net

Dave.Net

• PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 17-July 05
From what I see in the last screenshot (the wizards showing the vista bitmaps) the 3d highlight color for the theme is wrong. It should be pure white.

marxo

marxo

UI Designer

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Joined 30-September 06
No it should be pure white. It would be very very light. Pure white is used for high-contrast themes...

Posted Image

CaptainStacks

CaptainStacks

Junior

• Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 31-July 07
Excellent, this is just what I've always wanted.

Thanks again :)
"When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves." Chuck Palahniuk

marxo

marxo

UI Designer

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Joined 30-September 06
@CaptainStacks Do you use NT4 as your first OS? If you do pls visit some links:

1. 256 Color Icon Patch for NT4 (non-Shell Updated)
2. Windows NT4 Today

There you can tell us your experience with NT4 and share your opinion...

Edited by marxo, 31 July 2007 - 09:56 AM.

Posted Image

CaptainStacks

CaptainStacks

Junior

• Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 31-July 07
I have a NT box set up, but I usually do stuff with my 2k box.
"When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves." Chuck Palahniuk

Dave.Net

Dave.Net

• PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 17-July 05

No it should be pure white. It would be very very light. Pure white is used for high-contrast themes...

No, it is pure white. But I mean the 3d highlight color, not the 3d-face color. I'm sure cause I've been manually copying that scheme to w98 pcs since 2000.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users