How to patch tcp connection limit?

melodylife

If you BUY a car, are you not allowed to open the hood? Are you not allowed to change oil yourself? Are you not allowed to install non-factory (better) parts (i.e. tires)? Are you not allowed to smash it into a wall if you feel like it (of course, assuming nobody gets hurt)? What have I bought when I bought XP?

You are missing a VERY IMPORTANT distinction between the car and Windows - you are buying the car, but you aren't buying Windows at all. You are buying a LICENSE to USE Windows, and you don't own the source code or the actual OS binaries - nor can you legally do whatever you want with them (including bypass things like security mechanisms and built-in limitations, unless the methods or mechanisms to do so are provided you by Microsoft or an agent thereof). Therefore, at least in the US and certain other countries, you can indeed be legally limited in usage and functionality by the owner of the product you've licensed in almost any way they see fit (read that EULA you clicked yes to when you powered on your machine or agreed to when you installed Windows).

You're comparing apples to oranges in the car vs Windows analogy, and unfortunately for you if you don't like this arrangement your other options are open source or open source. Note that you get the same sort of EULA when you purchase MacOS - you don't own that either, and are under similar obligations and rights from Apple.

If you BUY a car, are you not allowed to open the hood? Are you not allowed to change oil yourself? Are you not allowed to install non-factory (better) parts (i.e. tires)? Are you not allowed to smash it into a wall if you feel like it (of course, assuming nobody gets hurt)? What have I bought when I bought XP?

You are missing a VERY IMPORTANT distinction between the car and Windows - you are buying the car, but you aren't buying Windows at all. You are buying a LICENSE to USE Windows, and you don't own the source code or the actual OS binaries - nor can you legally do whatever you want with them (including bypass things like security mechanisms and built-in limitations, unless the methods or mechanisms to do so are provided you by Microsoft or an agent thereof). Therefore, at least in the US and certain other countries, you can indeed be legally limited in usage and functionality by the owner of the product you've licensed in almost any way they see fit (read that EULA you clicked yes to when you powered on your machine or agreed to when you installed Windows).

You're comparing apples to oranges in the car vs Windows analogy, and unfortunately for you if you don't like this arrangement your other options are open source or open source. Note that you get the same sort of EULA when you purchase MacOS - you don't own that either, and are under similar obligations and rights from Apple.

Since this is heavily offtopic here, you could, as a moderator, split this topic if you (or anyone else) wants to continue this discussion. Although, I'm a little tired of bashing this to death. You can find loads of better arguments than I can ever provide on any good Free/Open Source website.

And, of course the current situation is as you (and others) describe. I never said the oposite. I was talking about how it SHOULD BE. It's a matter of principle. Eula is not a law, and that stuff...

On apples and oranges - both the car dealer and Microsoft are happy to take my money as good as they are. If I could say "Microsoft, you don't own my money. I just licence them to you" then I would stop complaining. :)

GL

On apples and oranges - both the car dealer and Microsoft are happy to take my money as good as they are. If I could say "Microsoft, you don't own my money. I just licence them to you" then I would stop complaining. :)

GL

Now THAT'S a funny one I've not heard before - bravo :)

• 2 years later...
So to answer the original question, NO there is no possible way to patch the tcp connection limit, yet! That clear enough. ;)

All that was needed was to wait for a couple of service packs :w00t:

SP2 removes the limit of 10 half open outbound TCP connections. By default, SP2 has no limit on the number of half open outbound TCP connections.

Yeah, it was a good idea... Right? :whistle:

GL