Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Super-Disc: Multi-Boot Project CD/DVD Using ISOLINUX

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

clttv

clttv
  • 2 posts
i did every thing "step by step " reading every lil word in there and just got nothing to work at all , not the rescue disk , small linux or anything ,, i think you need to update your post , but thanks
i think i'll never be able to creat a real nice and professional submenu . :(

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jetman

jetman

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

i did every thing "step by step " reading every lil word in there and just got nothing to work at all , not the rescue disk , small linux or anything ,, i think you need to update your post , but thanks

I am going to revisit this project shortly. Watch this space.... :ph34r:

clttv

clttv
  • 2 posts

I am going to revisit this project shortly. Watch this space.... :ph34r:

plz do , and lemme know whatcha gonna come out with , cuz i do have many questions about this also !

kof94

kof94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Hi all
i want to create a multiboot dvd with UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, XUBUNTU and some other distro and so i read all the tutorials and tried to do it by myself.
I decided to start with only ubuntu and see if i can do it, and later add all the other distro.

I create these directories

LINUX
|
|-------boot
| |-----isolinux
| |-----ubuntu (inside initrd.gz e vmlinuz)
|
|--------ubuntu (with all the distro contents)

Here myisolinux.cfg

DEFAULT menu.c32
TIMEOUT 0
PROMPT 0
menu title Welcome to GNU/Linux!
label local
menu label Boot from ^hard drive
kernel chain.c32
append hd0
label ubuntu-live-install
menu label ^Install Ubuntu
kernel /boot/ubuntu/vmlinuz
append file=/cdrom/ubuntu/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/boot/ubuntu/initrd.gz quiet splash --

I also modified casper inside scripts di initrd (and copiet into boot/ubuntu e ubuntu/casper) changing $Path/casper, and $Directory/casper to $Path/ubuntu/casper and so on. can't find $mountpoint and change /.disk/casper to /ubuntu/.disk/casper

When i select ubuntu i got the logo of ubuntu and seems to load but then it says:

/init: /scripts/casper: line 1: #/bin/sh: not found ... itried to change it to #1/ubuntu/bin/sh

Anyone can help me? I really need to create this DVD.

Thank you

Just a thought...

If you have a fast internet connection why don't you just do a netinstall and download the desktop you want instead of filling your disk with three squashfs images containing similar files.

jetman

jetman

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

<snip>

Just a thought...

If you have a fast internet connection why don't you just do a netinstall and download the desktop you want instead of filling your disk with three squashfs images containing similar files.

Happy holidays ! Long time, no post ! :hello: Unfortunately, people who post messages like the one you commented don't seem to do much in the way of research or experimentation. Frankly, other than for demo purposes, I can't see the reason for having three Ubuntus on the same disc. Actually, Jotnar has a great contribution to the thread, explaining how to customize various (popular) Linux live CDs (incl the Ubuntus) so that they can be part of a SuperDisc.

Having said that, I have a top-to-bottom revision of primary project/initial message underway, to be completed this month. I have formed a much different take on things in the intervening (nearly) three years, since starting this exercise. And part of the revised project will include Kubuntu. The latest is now a truly useful, fully operational live CD, w/ support (AT LAST, HALLELUJAH !!!) for auto-mounting existing hdrive partitions !

Hope this finds you well. TTYL....Jet

kof94

kof94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
Very long time... happy new year.

I can't see the point either, just seams like a waste disk of space if you ask me. It's been a while since I used Ubuntu but I'm sure there's meta-packages to add/remove the various DE's:

# apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

I spend most of my time playing with Linux these days (I'll be a SysAdmin one day :)) but I'm still making multi-boot disks now and again... I'm just using my USB stick more now.

I'm kinda hooked on grub4dos at the moment, it's not as attractive as syslinux but what it lacks in aesthetic appeal it makes up for in features. I just wish they'd add more of the features from Super Grub Disk (USB Shift etc).

The latest is now a truly useful, fully operational live CD, w/ support (AT LAST, HALLELUJAH !!!) for auto-mounting existing hdrive partitions !

Is this a remastered Kubuntu livecd?

jetman

jetman

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

<snip>

I spend most of my time playing with Linux these days (I'll be a SysAdmin one day :)) but I'm still making multi-boot disks now and again... I'm just using my USB stick more now.

Same here, although in the last couple of weeks I've had a hard time holding onto my collection of thumb drives ! :} Recently, I did find a new site for live CDs: Turnkey Linux. Turnkey Linux hosts a series of professionally-configured appliance discs based Ubuntu 8.04. They have a LAMP disc, a Samba disc, a Drupal disc, and a Joomla! disc to name a few. You can sample their works in live CD form, then install them to a hdrive to actually use them in real-world projects. Impressive stuf.

I'm kinda hooked on grub4dos at the moment, it's not as attractive as syslinux but what it lacks in aesthetic appeal it makes up for in features. I just wish they'd add more of the features from Super Grub Disk (USB Shift etc).

There's a post a couple pages back, where someone explains how to use SYSLINUX/ISOLINUX and GRUB together. There are only a couple of things from G4D that I really need and a hybrid of two works for me.

The latest is now a truly useful, fully operational live CD, w/ support (AT LAST, HALLELUJAH !!!) for auto-mounting existing hdrive partitions !

Is this a remastered Kubuntu livecd?

Nope, it's a stock Kubuntu disc, that's what make it worth celebrating (and incorporating in a new SuperDisc.) Later....Jet

hjalle

hjalle
  • 3 posts
How did you boot Freenas from isolinux? What parameters did you have in the config, and did you have to do anything more to get it working?

jetman

jetman

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

How did you boot Freenas from isolinux? What parameters did you have in the config, and did you have to do anything more to get it working?

Sorry, but that was three years ago and that .cfg file has long passed into history. I can suggest something else which mite work as well, if not better.

I abandoned FreeNAS, bec it didn't perform well and couldn't be integrated w/ Windows-based projects, in spite of the fact I'd built (by hand) and operated a FreeBSD/Samba file server/access point for years. (And I really like FreeBSD !) Anyway, I've since found something else which will make it into the next edition of the public SuperDisc [RSN ! :whistle: ] called TurnkeyLinux. It's based on Ubuntu 8.04 and is being actively developed and supported by a very professional Linux team. TurnkeyLinux has several interesting live CDs (mostly LAMP-based web servers), including the Samba live CD. Check out their website ASAP.

Moreover, Jotnar has an excellent post describing how to integrate various Linuxen (incl Ubuntu) into a generic SuperDisc.

HTH....Jet

hjalle

hjalle
  • 3 posts

Sorry, but that was three years ago and that .cfg file has long passed into history. I can suggest something else which mite work as well, if not better.

I abandoned FreeNAS, bec it didn't perform well and couldn't be integrated w/ Windows-based projects, in spite of the fact I'd built (by hand) and operated a FreeBSD/Samba file server/access point for years. (And I really like FreeBSD !) Anyway, I've since found something else which will make it into the next edition of the public SuperDisc [RSN ! :whistle: ] called TurnkeyLinux. It's based on Ubuntu 8.04 and is being actively developed and supported by a very professional Linux team. TurnkeyLinux has several interesting live CDs (mostly LAMP-based web servers), including the Samba live CD. Check out their website ASAP.

Moreover, Jotnar has an excellent post describing how to integrate various Linuxen (incl Ubuntu) into a generic SuperDisc.

HTH....Jet

that was boring :( TurnkeyLinux actually seemed very fine, but I just wanted FreeNAS since it has software raid and some other cool features :/ You don't remember it at all?:(

jetman

jetman

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

<snip>

that was boring :( TurnkeyLinux actually seemed very fine, but I just wanted FreeNAS since it has software raid and some other cool features :/ You don't remember it at all?:(

No, I don't remember any of the details of .cfg. Re: FreeNAS itself, it's probably improved since I tried it three years ago. In any case, get something to extract the FreeNAS ISO's boot sector, then commence with the trial-and-error testing. That's the process I used, so the sooner you start, the sooner you'll finish. One thing I do remember is that there are several files that could be used as the target of the KERNEL statement, that will be the actual loader. That's where the trial-an-error comes in. Originally, it only took a few hours of effort to achieve results.

Later....Jet

hjalle

hjalle
  • 3 posts

<snip>

No, I don't remember any of the details of .cfg. Re: FreeNAS itself, it's probably improved since I tried it three years ago. In any case, get something to extract the FreeNAS ISO's boot sector, then commence with the trial-and-error testing. That's the process I used, so the sooner you start, the sooner you'll finish. One thing I do remember is that there are several files that could be used as the target of the KERNEL statement, that will be the actual loader. That's where the trial-an-error comes in. Originally, it only took a few hours of effort to achieve results.

Later....Jet

Ok.. I have tried the trial and error, but I only only only receive "Invalid or corrupt kernel image.". I have tried to use /boot/loader, /boot/kernel/kernel.gz, /boot/kernel/kernel (the .gz extracted) with different parameters and stuff, but with no luck :(

The ISO I've taken the files from do work, so the files are not corrupt

I really didn't think it was going to be this messy to make it work :/

Edited by hjalle, 13 March 2010 - 07:57 AM.

manjack

manjack
  • 6 posts
How can i add one or two windows distros to this linux multiboot dvd,Thanks in advance

meigyoku

meigyoku

• 20 posts
I want make boot DVD disk with Kapersky Rescue Disk and Panda Resue Disk, please help me!

EneergE

EneergE

• 34 posts
You can use this: Shardana Antivirus Rescue Disk Utility - Sardu.
http://www.sarducd.it/

sirbow2

sirbow2
  • 1 posts
hi i saw this post and i would like to get these OS's to boot off of one cd(they are all really small)
Linux:
DSL
Feather
slitaz
Puppy
Tiny Core

i got all the directories and kernel and everything in the right place, i just dont know what to put it ISOLINUX.cfg for the other distro's besides DSL as it was already in there.

I know what to do for label, menu label, kernel, and intrid, but i dunno what to do for the rest of append after intrid for the other OS's like feather, slitaz, puppy, tiny core etc:
(the included one for DSL)
LABEL puppy
MENU label ^1 Puppy
MENU DEFAULT
KERNEL /boot/puppy/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/puppy/initrd.gz (??????????????what goes here??????????)

thanks!

Edited by sirbow2, 10 May 2011 - 02:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN