Super-Disc: Multi-Boot Project CD/DVD Using ISOLINUX

jetman

May be I should. I'm no programmer but if there's a decent help file I can usually muddle my way through. Hay, may be then I really could be a snob :lol::rolleyes: .

All laughs aside, how good are you at modding Slax?

Catch ya later.

Here are some Python eBooks. The Python tutorial that comes w/ the Python pkg (@ python.org) is pretty good and you can get Dive Into Python from the 1st site. Finally, ActiveState has an all-in-one Python pkg w/ lotsa docs and a nice little IDE for creating/testing Python code. I like it bec you can make a module, then switch to a code (the Intermediate) window and try what you just typed instantly. Non-Programmer's Tutorial for Python will let you look at Python w/o downloading or installing anything.

I grok Slax. What do you want to do ? Jet

Edited by jetman

I changed the name of the topic bec it's gone beyond what I originally intended. I have a bunch of new ideas that will show up here, all in good time. Anyone can add new things, but I encourage contributors to do so using a directory layout consistent w/ the layout illustrated in the opening msg. Of course, explain, explain, explain.

Finally, the 1st msg will also serve as an index to the milestones and significant additions to the thread. Time to get some sleep....Jet

Anyone can add new things....

Just for the record, and to keep things together as possible, here is an interesting thread on 911CD about using parameters passed to memdisk into autoexec.bat, in case you are using DOS based floppy images:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=5706

just a few days ago the thread was revamped:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19634

with contributions (hopefully enhancements) by d4vr0s and yours truly. ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

May be I should. I'm no programmer but if there's a decent help file I can usually muddle my way through. Hay, may be then I really could be a snob :lol::rolleyes: .

All laughs aside, how good are you at modding Slax?

Catch ya later.

Here are some Python eBooks. The Python tutorial that comes w/ the Python pkg (@ python.org) is pretty good and you can get Dive Into Python from the 1st site. Finally, ActiveState has an all-in-one Python pkg w/ lotsa docs and a nice little IDE for creating/testing Python code. I like it bec you can make a module, then switch to a code (the Intermediate) window and try what you just typed instantly. Non-Programmer's Tutorial for Python will let you look at Python w/o downloading or installing anything.

I grok Slax. What do you want to do ? Jet

Thanks for the links buddy, I'll def take a look now.

Grok :huh: , a little lost in translation I think.

I'm really looking for a cross between Killbill and server with a more up-to-date ver or ntfs-3g.

I just want something else to play with really as well as a replacement for Knoppix. Don't get me wrong, Knoppix is great but I never use everything it provides so something slimmer and customisable is really starting to appeal.

Edit:

I just noticed a glitch with one of your links in the first post for 'adding an XP installer'

It reads: http://http//www.msfn.org/board/index.php?...st&p=636838

Thought you'd want to know!

Edited by kof94

Thanks for the links buddy, I'll def take a look now.

Grok :huh: , a little lost in translation I think.

I'm really looking for a cross between Killbill and server with a more up-to-date ver or ntfs-3g.

I just want something else to play with really as well as a replacement for Knoppix. Don't get me wrong, Knoppix is great but I never use everything it provides so something slimmer and customisable is really starting to appeal.

Edit:

I just noticed a glitch with one of your links in the first post for 'adding an XP installer'

It reads: http://http//www.msfn.org/board/index.php?...st&p=636838

Thought you'd want to know!

Grok roughly means 'to understand', from Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land.

Anyway, what you seek is straight-fwd. Regarding NTFS-3g support, that's the easy part. You mite recognize a similar writing style in this thread. Not a coincidence. :ph34r:

Now, what do you want to add to KillBill to make it more like the Server Ed ? Most additions require zero scripting. And since we've established that you know how to make a bootable CD/DVD, you know almost everything you need to know.

About the link, two words: sleep deprivation. Thanx for the heads-up....Jet

Anyway, what you seek is straight-fwd. Regarding NTFS-3g support, that's the easy part. You mite recognize a similar writing style in this thread. Not a coincidence. ph34r.gif

I did wonder, since you signed yourself off as Jet. I forgot to mention that bit in my last post.

I have one question about your update, why exactly do you need to update the kernel. Remember I am a Linux n00b although I am trying.

Nevermind I think I get it now. You know reading is useful :blushing: .

I have one question then I'll drop this line of inquiry or make a new thread (I feel I may be quite responsible for taking this thread of on different tangents, sorry).

Have I got this right:

Download your ntfs-3g archive (killbill in this case)

Update the fuse + ntfs-3g drivers in said archive with new .mo's you have on the Slax site.

Then just over write /boot and /modules from modded archive.

I know I'm probably asking stupid questions, but I don't want to just go ahead thinking I've got it and end up nuking someones Windows install.

Thanks.

Nevermind I think I get it now. You know reading is useful :blushing: .

I have one question then I'll drop this line of inquiry or make a new thread (I feel I may be quite responsible for taking this thread of on different tangents, sorry).

Have I got this right:

Download your ntfs-3g archive (killbill in this case)

Update the fuse + ntfs-3g drivers in said archive with new .mo's you have on the Slax site.

Then just over write /boot and /modules from modded archive.

I know I'm probably asking stupid questions, but I don't want to just go ahead thinking I've got it and end up nuking someones Windows install.

Thanks.

You have it rite on all counts, exc the stupid part. If you have any probs, bring them rite here. My idea on this whole Super-Disc thing is to do more than simply illustrate how to make a multi-boot CD/DVD, but to get into customization (as you're doing), so it really is a Super disc.

Quick digression: last nite, on the Syslinux mail list, there was an inquiry about MEMDISK loading ISOs. I commented that an ISO-compatible MEMDISK isn't nec, if one knows a bit about hacking and invests some of one's own time to find a custom solution. Needless to say, I got a long-winded rationalization rite back, rife w/ talk about 'what avg users need', 'what avg users don't know', blah-blah-blah. I could've mentioned Super-Disc, but he/she didn't sound like the type that's interested in working for this stuf.

Bottom line: If someone GOOGLEs for info about ISOLINUX, multi-boot CDs, whatever, they'll get a lot more than they bargained for. I have some ideas for future Super-Disc extensions, including stuf involving Slax, Knoppix, maybe even Kubuntu (that's a def maybe.) That is, if you're interested in working for it. That is, if one reads thoroughly and follows instructions carefully.

Oh yes, in advance, PLEASE spare us all the long-winded explanations about what other folks/the market/Linux-in-general needs or wants ! Speak for yourself !!

Good luck. TTYL....Jet

Just for the record, and to keep things together as possible, here is an interesting thread on 911CD about using parameters passed to memdisk into autoexec.bat, in case you are using DOS based floppy images:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=5706

just a few days ago the thread was revamped:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19634

with contributions (hopefully enhancements) by d4vr0s and yours truly. ;)

jaclaz

Jaclaz: As always, your contributions are welcome and interesting. :yes: Thanx and expect to see you post more stuf RSN....Jet

I have to agree that the ability to directly boot a .iso image is useful and I say this is from experience with CDShell/Diskemu.

This doesn't mean you can just bung a load of your favorite .iso's on your disc and go 'there, I'm done'.

However, it does mean you can directly boot apps like say Super Grub Disk or chntpwd without having to decompile them or resort to an older floppy ver.

There are some other advantages as well.

I worked out a system that enabled me to use the original isolinux menu/display for any linux app/distro I liked by booting mini .iso's. These .iso's just contained the isolinux dir, kernel and ramdisk the rest of the disc i.e. .squashfs etc was then in a relevant location on my disc.

It worked quite well but I have to admit I did feel like a bit of a cheat.

I keep banging on about this but I would really like to see a switch for memdisk that enabled diskemu style image reading. So, instead of loading the whole floppy image in ram it just reads the contents of it from the disc. I believe this will solve a lot of problems with some images not booting.

Edited by kof94

I have to agree that the ability to directly boot a .iso image is useful and I say this is from experience with CDShell/Diskemu.

This doesn't mean you can just bung a load of your favorite .iso's on your disc and go 'there, I'm done'.

<snip>

Kof: I don't care if Peter (user hpa) decides to enhance MEMDISK to read/boot large ISOs. If he provided said enhancement, I'd use it myself as it would be a real labor-saver. Having said that, I won't add my voice requesting this enhancement bec it really only benefits those who want to make multi-boot CDs/DVDs, when there are viable alternatives. Ultimately, he (and other OSS developers) enhance their offerings bec (1) it helps a significant portion of the user community at large or (2) it helps them on a paying job or (3) they like the challenge of implementing a particular capability. The principal user of SYSLINUX is the system builder, either the author of a distro or someone who needs a boot menu for a PC. SYSLINUX works very well in this role, as it is.

As a developer, I'm sympathetic to guys like Peter and dismissive of these characters who offer these long-winded, self-serving rationalizations of why someone else should invest their labor to make their lives a little easier (present company excluded.) SYSLINUX is a labor of love that he's chosen to share w/ the rest of us. There are many non-coders who have no clue about the complexity of developing and enhancing something like MEMDISK and think what they want is widely desirable. Yet they feel qualified to wax at length about what someone else's obligations are.

I find these diatribes esp annoying after one points out that the requester can realize comparable results w/ a some effort on their part. Yes, the developer should invest his/her labor (for free) to accommodate someone who's loathe to invest their own labor, to satisfy their own desires. Why ? Bec I don't know a shell script from a head of cabbage and don't want to learn about any of that. I just want what I want !

In summation, if you want to use Linux (or some other OSS offering), one should understand and respect the underlying do-it-yourself (DIY) philosophy behind this movement. BTW, have you noticed several topics posted in the last few weeks, that ask for help w/ issues covered (to some degree) right here in this thread ? :huh:

Diatribe-mode-off.....Jet

Edited by jetman

Wohhh, I really didn't mean to hit a nerve with this :unsure::blushing::( .

At the end of the day I am just an end user. I respect the fact that there are a lot of people around me that contribute a hell of a lot of time and effort into developing software that I use.

The least I can offer is ideas or suggestions that may enhance this software. I by no means expect or demand anything and/or wish to offend anyone by making these suggestions.

You may not have been trying to have ago at me, but I thought I better clear that up.

Please take this in good Jest, like all my other ramblings :) .

-kof94

Edited by kof94

Wohhh, I really didn't mean to hit a nerve with this :unsure::blushing::( .

At the end of the day I am just an end user. I respect the fact that there are a lot of people around me that contribute a hell of a lot of time and effort into developing software that I use.

The least I can offer is ideas or suggestions that may enhance this software. I by no means expect or demand anything and/or wish to offend anyone by making these suggestions.

You may not have been trying to have ago at me, but I thought I better clear that up.

Please take this in good Jest, like all my other ramblings :) .

-kof94

In the past, I've been guilty of some of the things I deride. About a year ago, when I was putting my 1st disc together, just DSL/TRK/BartPE using BCDW, I sputtered, fumed, and was a mess. I didn't want to do the things I now present. With careful reflection, one has a change of heart. Those comments weren't aimed at you, but to let future participants know that no self-justifying crap is welcome. If you want to learn or offer your own constructive insights, go for it.

Anyway, how did you make out w/ your 1st Slax disc ? I'm esp interested in knowing whether KDE is working well for you. If not, then try this. KDE, or rather X, could be a little more helpful and the XCONF2 module is something I hacked together which has been very helpful, making X/KDE behave. Later....Jet

Those comments weren't aimed at you, but to let future participants know that no self-justifying crap is welcome.

Fair enough :) .

Anyway, how did you make out w/ your 1st Slax disc ? I'm esp interested in knowing whether KDE is working well for you. If not, then try this. KDE, or rather X, could be a little more helpful and the XCONF2 module is something I hacked together which has been very helpful, making X/KDE behave. Later....Jet

I been 50% playing with Slax and 50% trying to make a common sense menu for everything on my disc, which is a bit like moving into a new house. I can't stop moving the furniture around! :rolleyes:

As far as Slax goes, I've only managed so far to put your ntfs-3g + fuse drivers in and test in VM to see if it works.

When I get back from work tomorrow I'm gonna burn a test build of my current disc inc Slax and give it a full outing. I'm also gonna install Ubuntu 7.04 on my Linux drive since I nuked my 6.10 install last week (don't ask cos I don't know :whistle: ) and haven't got around to fixing it.

Once all that's done I'll get back to you.

-kof94

Ok, I only have one thing to say... SLAX ROCKS :wub::thumbup .

Your ntfs-3g driver + fuse (what is fuse by-the-way) works a treat.

I really pushed the boat out moving stuff around on my Win partitions and editing files. I admit this was probably stupid but hay 'no pain, no gain' .

Unlike previous encounters with ntfs-3g this time I didn't encounter chkdsk on reboot and as far as I'm aware I havn't killed anything. This is great!!!

Anyway, besides that, I was also very pleasantly surprised at the speed, especially since I was running everything from a DVD.

Bart/WinPE has a lot to live up to now with this kind of speed and access.

There are a couple of things I need to sort out though.

The first is wireless networking.

Since moving house I've had to stump for wireless networking. Needless to say on more than one occasion I've threatened to buy a long cat-5 and start drilling holes in the house just so I don't have to put up with it.

That aside... Slax was unable to config my wlan card. This may be my inexperience or just a lack of drivers, any ideas on how to solve either? :D

The second is, I was unable to view the contents of my boot DVD and I was unable to mount the drive via right click (You can tell I'm a Windows user :blushing: ). I gather this might be because I'm actually running Slax from it but I wondered if this was normal behavior?

Apart from that though, quite a successful outing if you ask me. I'm now torn between going back and playing some more or doing what originally planned and install Ubuntu... life is so unfair sometimes :lol: .

Edited by kof94