Hotfix Slipstreaming

GreenMachine

Oh and some new udates came out today inlcufing SRP 1. So your list should look like this (i hope its correct):

HFTYPE1

----------------------------

KB282010.EXE

KB820291.EXE

KB821253.EXE

KB824105.EXE

Q322011.EXE

Q327979.EXE

Q329170.EXE

Q814995.EXE

Q817606.EXE

Q828026.EXE

KB826939.EXE

KB823182.EXE

KB828035.EXE

KB825119.EXE

KB824141.EXE

HFTYPE2

----------------------------

KB814078.EXE (js56nde.exe)

KB819639.EXE

Q327405.EXE

Q330994.EXE

Q828750.EXE

Drunk again, I guess ... it seems there was more than one Cut & Paste error on the HotFix List section. I have corrected the list.

I will try to answer your request about IExpress this evening, as well as that about Sun Java.

I have made a few slight modifications, most notably I replaced CABARC.EXE with MAKECAB.EXE, which is used to re-create the SP1.CAB and the DRIVERS.CAB. Certainly not a time saver, but it does save over 50Mb on these two files.

Thanks for pointing out the typo. If you have other comments or suggestions ... please don't hesitate to post them.

@EverSor: I have updated the documentation to answer your question about installing applications that require command line switches HERE, in the Switched Applications section.

@VisaVersa: You can find an example of using IExpress for DotNetFX HERE. I updated and checked the list of hotfixes, and it is now correct. [For the moment... and weren't you going to send me the href's for the hotfix downloads?]

@VisaVersa: You can find an example of using IExpress for DotNetFX HERE. I updated and checked the list of hotfixes, and it is now correct. [For the moment... and weren't you going to send me the href's for the hotfix downloads?]

True, for the moment... I guess creating unattended install cd is a never ending story...Delay for my href's is ...o well the same problem of a never ending story...adding hotfixes. but here they are as of today.

btw, i have 300mb to store some more files...just ask

:rolleyes:

Here is the list

Enjoy

:)

W

edit:

btw, thank you for the example of using IExpress for DotNetFX HERE.

edit:

GreenMachine,

First of all congratulations for the neat script. Well written and clear to understand. :)

I did a first run yesterday but run into a blue screen during gui mode.

Could be because I used a beta sp2 during compile.

Try tonight with a new build without sp2 beta to see if it installs.

Therefore I have a request to make¡KWould you like to include a conditional ¡¥original cd rip¡¦, infact the same as I ask to daveXP to split his script in several pieces.

No need to go true the whole process again over and over each time. Espacialy the things that already in place and not need to be ripped or extracted again.

I modified for myself your script to do this but I am not planned to share cause I would not interfere in your work, beside my coding is worse then... yours. :/

Question: is there a reason not to slipstream SR1 in this version?

Btw, is saw you changed a bit to the layout on the spacks page.

ROHF1

ROMSI

and both contained the same files.

Are you gone change the script or are you having other plans with these new directory names?

Greets to all

W

Good eye! I was in the middle of updating that page when I loaded it last night, and said to myself, "Nah, no-one will see it"

Yes, I am in the middle of changing it, but I will not post it until it is where I like it. I will use the same HF1 & HF2 directory structure for including hotfixes that are to be run from the RunOnce section (i.e. 817778, which works no where else). Other additions include a directoy to add users: any file there will result in a user with password=username, both normal and administrator, MSI silient installation directories, etc. It is about 95% now, but testing is slow - start VPC at night, check in the morning.

I thought about splitting into sections, and decided not to. I want to start from known conditions every time. I do not like the idea of re-slipstreaming, so I want to start with the CD files each time. This is not the killer: the time consumer is the MakeCab re-packaging of DRIVER.CAB. 26 minutes on my PIII. Furthermore, I see no need to re-run the script after the hotfixes are in place, unless a new hotfix comes out, and then, as I said, I want to start clean. That said, I use the resulting CD layout, in the CDROOT directory, to make any modifications I desire, and then simply run the MAKEISO.CMD file to create the new ISO in a few minutes. I don't really see the conditions where this solution is not sufficient, but you may. Perhaps when I get really motivated I will allow for a few parameters to be passed, that will jump to certain entry points.

I'm glad that you modified the code to make it work as you like. I tried to keep the code clean for just that reason. True, I do prefer not to have it public if I am going to have to answer for it, but it is no big deal.

No reason not to use SR1. I insist on the fact that this is just a large hotfix, nothing more nothing less, given a fancy name to sooth the masses.

You must have also noticed, see-er of all, that the hotfix numbers where hot linked... Thanks for the research and coding: I just cut and pasted your list.

I will update the documentation later tonight.

Last note: I have no idea about the BSOD. I have not seen one for weeks. Nor have I tested SP2.

GreenMachine,

WindowsXP-KB817778-x86-ENU.exe package is placed in the runonce dir and receive processed by the script to be scheduled to deploy with the runonce.reg but this update package supports only the following setup switches:

/? Show the list of installation switches.

/u Use Unattended mode.

/f Force other programs to quit when the computer shuts down.

/n Do not back up files for removal.

/o Overwrite OEM files without prompting.

/z Do not restart when installation is complete.

/q Use Quiet mode (no user interaction).

/l List installed hotfixes.

/x Extract the files without running Setup.

For example, to install the package without any user intervention, use the following command:

windowsxp-kb817778-x86-enu.exe /u /q

So it fails to install Quiet and should be left out the runonce folder.

The same for Knowledge Base Article - 822603

Thought you should now.

Besides the error (http://www.MSFN.org/board/index.php?showtopic=10021) I received from iis 5 the unattended finished this time the install and continued to reboot. Great stuff…

One more feature request, somewhere in the script should be a routine to cleanup the files that are written in to the temporary directories just to make sure that you start with a real clean run over and over again. I have to do this manually now. Cabtemp, cabs,cdroot ect…

Total time to create iso was 23 minutes on my machine :) with spec below of course, not so long ...

Have fun

W

@GreenMachine

okay the batch file is great

but I've a question, I've tried it but I've doubts about it

I couldn't be sure so here it is

in which directory should I be placing the rollup?

in the Service Packs or type 1?

because I'm afraid if I put in on type 1 they will be overwritten?

actually same goes for service packs folder

So where shall I put it and should I be running it as the last update instead of running it first??

Thanks

I wish Microsoft released their SP2 asap before I go completely crazy!

and that sp2 better be a good sp2 with all whatever's neccerssay hot fixes, recommended installs, driver updates!!! grrr....

@XtremeMaC: The RollUp gets the normal HFTYPE1 treatment: it is nothing more, nothing less than a Type I Hotfix. Nothing will be overwritten, and it does not matter the order in which the fixes are run, as long as you include QCHAIN.EXE in the HFTYPE3 directory. (In short, it goes in HFTYPE1.) Do tell the results. Thanks.

@visaversa: I looked into your problem from another thread, and you have too much stuff in the directories. I will write a detailed response to your post later tonight, and post an updated version for you to use, with your requested modifications.

GreenMachine,

Thanks for the code...ill try it somewhere today...

True, i think it’s to slow for most of people.

The only reason why I choose for an optional script is to run some thing quicker by skipping things already done…but that’s a matter of opinion I guess.

I do really like your script because it’s easy to see what it does in each step. Nice work…

Yesterday I tried without the iis components and strangely it gave me the same error…Can’t understand why yet.

Could it have to do with permissions on the system drive? Anyway I am sure we find the problem, as always it will be something simple we overlooked. Before I continue to test, I have to finish of an other project.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and time for investigating this problem.

W

Great job GreenMachine

Just a few problems.

1 none of the msi hotfixes installed...no big deal, all but dotnet one :)

2 per your list Current HotFixes and Updates Q816093.EXE seems to be a type 1 not 2...it also did not install...gave error saying what switchs could be used

Now this could be just me :rolleyes: not the greatest at this stuff.

I have moved Q816093.EXE to type 1 and will retest but all else works great.

BTW where do i put the reg tweaks at ?

I would like to thank all that have posted on this board I have learned alot....Also I have tried every version of unattended installs from webmedic to gosh to Aaron to you and have enjoyed them all...each one is a work of art.

I have nothing bad to say about any of the ways that has been posted each has good and bad points.

Looking forward to the next test :D

Thank again

I do beleave I found my mistake.

Putting msi exe's in ROX2M directory ...doh

also putting Q816093.EXE in the hotfx1 directory...seem this works ...so far :rolleyes:

Found where to put the .reg files too...wow reading really does help :D

will let you know how it goes ....installing now

also will time the install...I know it will take a little over a hour on this 1.1 gig...slow a** system but thats ok.

Thanks to all that posted

Edit post

Install took 61 mins...only error i got was KB819639.EXE.... i don't think i need this one?

and Windows update shows everthing is updated

Thank you :)

Q828026 - Update for Windows Media Player Script Commands, replaces Q819639

again i didn't read....someone slap me :D