Can I install one slipstream onto 2 computers

scott14

I own legal, bought & paid-for licenses to 2 copies of Windows XP Pro.

One is a regular OEM version, and the other is a Dell version.

Can I install one slipstream onto 2 computers (both which I built, neither a Dell), and then activate each of the 2 installations by using the 2 different Windows keys that I own?

I hope to build my slipstream on the non-Dell version of Windows XP Pro, because trying to use the Dell version seems to have lots of problems and is not cooperating with the slipstreaming.

Advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Well it's a legally licensed (to me) copy of WinXP Pro that I fully paid for several years ago.

It is NOT simultaneously installed on any other machine. It's just sitting there on a CD-ROM, unused. The Dell computer it was bought with no longer exists.

So I don't see what would be illegal about my exercising my economic right in my license by using it on a computer I built for my son.

The problem is in the way the End User License Agreement is written. OEM licenses cannot be transferred from one PC to another. In their verbage, they consider a motherboard upgrade (not replacement due to failure) a "new PC" even if everything else is still the same. I don't like it either...but legally you aren't supposed to do what you're talking about. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's not "supposed" to.

This is why it's generally recommended to purchase a Retail license if you're building your own computer. Most people opt for the OEM license because it's cheaper...but then you're locked into the PC you install it on the first time. In other words, it "should" become more expensive in the long run because you would technically/legally be required to purchase a new OEM license if you upgrade your motherboard/PC.