"browse for folders" doesn't display the folder list

tecxx

hy, i need your help...

i've made an nlite version of xp64 and installed it on my machine, but it seems i removed something critical. so this is what happens:

i have downloaded nlite on my freshly installed system to create another customized windows cd. when i start it, the "browse for folder" dialog box appears, but it is empty? see screenshot 1.

googling around i found info that this could be a problem in .net, or that this could be fixed with the commands:

C:\>regsvr32 /i browseui.dll

C:\>regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

but when i execute those i get the message: DllInstall in xxx failed. Return code was: 0x80004005. see screenshot 2!

how can i fix this?

thanks for help!

post-100022-1174068740_thumb.jpg

post-100022-1174068758_thumb.jpg

Edited by tecxx

now this is really strange.

i have reinstalled .net 2.0 - no change

i installed .net 3.0 - no change

i installed .net 1.1 - no change

i then started NERO and tried Recorder-Burn Image. a File-Open dialog box appears, and it displays the contents of my harddrive as usual. however, when i select "*.*" in the list of filetypes at the bottom of the dialogbox, the content disappears! (see screenshot).

so this clearly is not related to .net (nero doesn't use .net) but something different.

this is one of many nlite cds i made, and the differences to the previos ones were (as far as i remember them now):

- remove active directory (can't be related to this, right?)

- removed fast user switching, terminal services, etc (can't be related either)

- something with speed up access to avi files (file system filter driver?)

- shell hardware driver or something (my drives are named "cd-rom" instead of the content of the disc)

- the setting that prevents explorer from reading mp3 bitrates

who's got an idea what's causing this issue?

post-100022-1174149714_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have the same problem. Whether I am in nLite or another program, say VMWare Workstation, when I select the "browse" button, the explorer interface window does not appear. I can still type in the drive and folder, and it will work, but the convenience of the explorer window disappeared.

This bug seems to be a recent thing, since I notice it with the latest nLite 1.3.0.4 but not on nLite 1.3 RC2.

Moreover, it seems isolated only to Windows XP x64 systems only. I also slipstreamed SP2 so I am not too sure if SP2 has anything to do with this issue, or it is due to nLite.

Can anybody else replicate this bug?

I can confirm this bug with nlited versions of windows xp x64 sp2 and windows server 2k3 x64 sp2 with ie7 integrated, but, there is a new version of ie7 released 3/14/2007. When i download this version it doesn't show in the properties the 7.0 as stated in microsoft download page. Maybe this version resolve the problems...

i'll try that, thanks for the tip. will report back if it works!

update:

i've downloaded and installed IE7 again but this didn't solve the problem :(

Edited by tecxx

First, I did a clean nLite, with just slipstreaming SP2 and drivers. No options or tweaks whatsoever, and this problem still occur, so it does look like a nLite bug.

Ikky,

Now, let me see if I can this straight. If I slipstream SP2 and the latest IE7 release 14th March with nLite, this problem will go away? I will try it and report back.

Nope. The latest IE7 give axactly the same thing. I went to MS site and download the version that was stated in previous post, nlite that and install the OS. Exactly the same thing. Anyone else have other ideas?

no, apparantly not =)

i'm still interested in a fix. stangely enough, not all browse-for-folder windows have this error. my guess would be something .net related, but i tried reinstalling .net several times without a change. very strange...

I went back to using nLite 1.3 RC2 which always work well for me, and what do you know, the problem went away.

In anycase, RC2 will integrate WMP 11 (not slipstream) but the final release depends on Booogy's slipstreamer which, the last time I check, does not work on x64 anyway. Therefore, you have to manually integrate WMP11 in the svcpack folder instead.

So it looks x64 users are better off using RC2 than the final release.