Unattended Secret: Reducing Size Of Source

i used the method in the link i posted with no problems.. dont have to hex anything.. might be best to try it that way from scratch.. i'll try the boot folder method tomorrow and see what happens

lol i didnt even see the link u posted im doing it the miso1391 way rite now ill let ya know how it turns out

edit: yes i tried wat he put b4 but it goes itno the i386 folder rather then BOOT folder dats y its not any faster so u cant use the bootfix.bin....

that would be setupldr.bin.. make sure you used capital letters everytime you need to type BOOT in the guide.. i tried the method and it does work with the exception that i used a different bootloader to xpboot.bin that loads a menu with a 5 second timeout and directly loads BOOT\setupldr.bin.. no need for bootfix.bin that way ..but.. the guide does only speed up the hardware detection phase of text setup before the copy files process, which i think was a wee bit misleading in the guide.. id use gosh's guide to minimise your i386 folder.. switch to this method to do the rest without hex editing anything and live with the extra 30 or so seconds.. but first make sure you followed gosh's guide to the letter

edit :: anyone tried the -y5 option using cdimage.. im wondering if it makes copying files from i386 faster??

edit :: scrub that idea.. -y5 slowed mine down :/

Okay, I used to have a lot of trouble with this, so I'm going explain how this works.

For multi-boot cds, or, a single OS multi-option cd where the i386 folder is NOT visible in the root of the cd, this is what happens.

At boot, diskemu.cmd presents a menu full of options. Each option accesses a certain .DAT file. This .DAT file is just xpboot.bin with the file extension changed to .dat, and the name changed to correspond to the OS you want to load.

Once the .dat file is accessed, it looks at this portion of code 'SETUPLDR.BINBOOTFIX.BINI386' for where to look for the boot folder. On a NORMAL cd, the boot folder is the same as the I386 folder, however we have multiple options for the same OS so this is not the case. You have to change 'I386' in that portion of code to reflect the specific OS volume you want to boot. If you have 3 volumes for XP Pro such as 'PRO1', 'PRO2', and 'PRO3', and you want to boot the first one, you simply change 'I386' to 'PRO1'.

The boot process then looks for SETUPLDR.BIN which should contain 4 references to I386 for multiple file access reasons. These 4 occurances should be changed to your volume folder again (PRO1, HOM2, etc.).

Afterwards, TXTSETUP.SIF is then loaded, and the line "SetupSourcePath = "\"" must be changed to your setup folder (eg. \setup\xpro\, \uenglish\winxphome\) for the actual files for XP Pro. This tells setup where to look for 'setup.exe'.

bootfix.bin is NEVER needed on your cd IF you are using diskemu.cmd. All bootfix.bin does is when diskemu.cmd loads the setup for your OS, bootfix.bin just presents the dialog "Press any key to boot from CD..." and really isn't necessary. Without it, it will simply just begin to run the Setup for XP or whichever OS you are loading.

So, all in all you should only be messing with 4 files:

• xpboot.bin - must be in root of cd, extension changed to .DAT, and named after your boot folder. diskemu.cmd MUST point to this file.
  • setupldr.bin - must be in boot folder (eg. VOL1, PRO1, HOM2, WNPE, 2PRO, etc)
  • txtsetup.sif - must be in boot folder (see above)
  • bootfix.bin - can be deleted. Does NOT need modified if kept.

ALSO - Search your root folder and subfolders for "xpboot.bi_, setupldr.bi_, and txtsetup.si_". If these files exist you MUST delete them or else setup will use those files before the modified ones.

On a side note, the specific volumes such as VOL1, or PRO1, or whatever you have named them are just the entire set of XP bootdisks put into one folder. If you are not trimming down your cd but you still want to have multiple boot options, you can download these disks from here. Simply extract the .exe file into the seperate WinImage files, open in WinImage and then extract the files to your boot folder.

i have now a multiboot dvd wit winxp, win2k, win98, dos and other tools

but winxp cant copy the .sys files (Si3112r.sys) for my silicon 3112 and raid controller (PnP680r.sys)

in the hardware detection winxp is loading the drivers but in copy progress he cant copy the drivers :rolleyes: i continued the copy progress but after reboot i get a bluescreen :D

i edited all the files that should be edited :)

the drivers r all in WinXPPRO\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\SATA -and RAID

hm i have not tried the multiboot stuff yet. I'm waiting for a larger hard drive to show up (120gig sata maxtor for use on my si raid controler) at any rate I've only got a 10 gig in my system now that I'm running windows on another 10 gig that I'm doing this stuff on and it is prety much full with the virtual drive for virtual pc and all tha xp files and what not.

When the new drive gets in I'll take a look at this stuff but for now I dont ahve the space. Well I could install vmware under linux and do that then the only windows I would have would be virtual. Hm not a bad idea. I may try it. At any rate I'll be able to help out on this thread in a few days.

i have now a multiboot dvd wit winxp, win2k, win98, dos and other tools

but winxp cant copy the .sys files (Si3112r.sys) for my silicon 3112 and raid controller (PnP680r.sys)

in the hardware detection winxp is loading the drivers but in copy progress he cant copy the drivers :D i continued the copy progress but after reboot i get a bluescreen :D

i edited all the files that should be edited :)

the drivers r all in WinXPPRO\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\SATA -and RAID

ok i fixed my problem :rolleyes:

i just copied the .sys files to all the VOL Folders and in I386 Folder

gosh thanks for your help about this subject at first.i managed to reduce the size without a problem i also made the bootable cd it boots succesfully but the unattended mode doesn't work in fact i use a different method for choosing the mode of install there's another .com which uses this ini file.

cls
color 0x0e
print "\n"
print "                                      #####                                 \n"
print "|---------------------------------#############------------------------------|\n"
print "                                 #############                              \n"
print "                                #############  ###        ###               \n"
print "                               ############# ###############                \n"
print "                               #############  ##############                \n"
print "                              ############# ##############                  \n"
print "                             ###       ###  ##############                  \n"
print "                                ####   CIVIL   ##########                   \n"
print "                            #############  ##############                   \n"
print "                            #############     #######                       \n"
print "                           ############## ###        ###                    \n"
print "                           ############# ##############                     \n"
print "                          #############  ##############                     \n"
print "                          ############# ##############                      \n"
print "                         ##         ##  ##############                      \n"
print "                                     #  ##############                      \n"
print "|----------------------------------------#############-----------------------|\n"
print "                                           #######                          \n"
wait 5
print "\n"
cls
color 0xdb
print "|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|\n"
print " Windows XP (SP1) Pro,[Normal and Unattended] Multi Bootable CD - by civil     \n"
print "|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|\n"
color 0x09    
print "\n"
print "\n"
print "\n"
print "\n"
print "           1) Install Windows XP (SP1) Professional (Retail)\n"
print "           2) Install Windows XP (SP1) Professional (Unattended)\n"
print "\n"
color 0x0F
print "           3) Boot Microsoft DOS 6.22\n"
print "           4) Boot Windows 98 [Version 4.10.2222] with Commands support\n"
print "           5) Boot Windows 98 [Version 4.10.2222] with NTFS-Pro support\n"
print "\n"
print "           a) Boot to Floppy Drive A:\ (0x00)\n"
print "           b) Quit Boot Scriptor & return to the Isolinux command prompt\n"
color 0x0E
print "\n"
print "         Esc) Boot to first hard drive (0x80) [Default]\n"
print "\n"
color 0x0B
print "Choose one: \n"
color 0x0F
; timeout is 20 seconds, default key is escape
getkey 20 setkey esc
onkey 1 goto fppp
onkey 2 goto fppu
onkey 3 goto msd
onkey 4 goto w98
onkey 5 goto ntfs_pro
onkey a boot 0x00
onkey b goto quit
onkey esc boot 0x80

fppp:
cd \
chain XPN1.DAT
getkey
goto exit

fppu:
cd \
chain XPU1.DAT
getkey
goto exit

msd:
memdisk BOOT_MSD.IMG
getkey
goto exit

w98:
memdisk w98_cmd.img
getkey
goto exit

ntfs_pro:
memdisk w98_ntfs.img
getkey
goto exit

exit:
end

i also have the winnt sif file in my XPU1 directory (for unattended install) i hex the setupldr.bin and xpboot.bin and renamed them as .dat what can be the problem anyone has an idea :) .

some more info about my cd ;

i didn't make it with the winimage i wrote it with nero as bootable by using my loader.bin file

the files in my cd are

Directory of c:\install

10/08/2003  06:58 PM    <DIR>          .
10/08/2003  06:58 PM    <DIR>          ..
10/08/2003  06:58 PM    <DIR>          I386
10/08/2003  07:52 PM             2,048 xpu1.dat
10/08/2003  07:52 PM             2,048 xpn1.dat
08/23/2001  09:00 AM                10 WIN51
08/23/2001  09:00 AM                10 WIN51IP
08/23/2001  09:00 AM                 2 WIN51IP.SP1
08/14/2002  09:00 AM            11,387 SPNOTES.HTM
08/23/2001  09:00 AM             3,204 README.HTM
10/08/2003  06:58 PM    <DIR>          BSCRIPT
10/08/2003  06:58 PM    <DIR>          XPN1
10/08/2003  06:58 PM    <DIR>          XPU1

i checked the setupldr.bin and dat files many times there's no difference according to the gosh's guide :/ please help.

LOADER.BIN