Unattended Secret: Reducing Size Of Source

I'm just wondering why all of the guys that are writing batch's

include the creation of winnt.sif in there?

what's the point???

I know your's skip to other sections if winnt.sif is found but still

WHY? you could just have a winnt.sif readily made and you could just say copy winnt.sif \cdroot or something..

gosh, I love these tutorials!  I followed each one carefully and it worked out great!  Now I have a CD with:

Windows XP Professional SP1a

Windows XP Preinstallation Environment (made with PE-Builder)

Windows 98 Boot Disk

Offline NT Password and Registry Editor

Right now, my CD is 493 MB with all of this stuff...I'll see what else fits! :)

after seeing this post i went out and got PE-Builder, and I think its awsome. however i am having trouble getting it to fit on my CD. my cd isnt full yet, however i will be adding win2000 (if i can fit it). the problem with PE is that cdimage.exe isnt able to save any space from winPE's folders. to make sure everything fits should/can i unpack winxp's driver.cab so cdimage sees the identical driver files? are there any other options available for space reduction with PE from PE-Builder?

also gosh, i dont see any speed improvement, but the space improvment without removing anything from XP is great. thanks.

Thanks. When i said my method has a speed improvement, i got the idea when i built a pc. I had 2 identical computers side, with exactly same hardware. One computer used my cd, the othr computer used a retail xp cd. Both computers started the install at the same time. By the time text mode was done on the retail computer, the other pc using my cd was already done installing. It could be that computer was built wrong, i don't know.

-gosh

This is the first time looking at this, very interesting Gosh, but stupid me still have some questions.

1. winnt32.exe /noreboot <--- not working, it opened My Document folder.

doing a clean install (not upgrade).
After setup finishes closes
will this effect my system? or do I cancel the setup at some point during the setup?

any help would be great :)

thx

/noreboot tells setup to close when it's done, and not to reboot the pc. I've never heard of the /noreboot command to open the my documents folder. You can skip the /noreboot command if you want, just make sure you don't let setup restart the pc.

-gosh

ARGH, I built my cd by gosh´s second method, I tested cd with virtualpc, it worked fine, but on my system after I press Enter to boot from CD, it says Label "BOOT" not found

and goes to command prompt.

edit: after few restarts it started to work, probably hardware vs diskemu issues

GOSH is it possible to follow your steps until.........

C:/Install/Boot.....Then drop

The WIN51,WIN51IP,WIN51IP.SP1,SPNOTES.HTML,XPBOOT.bak,

and the i386 folder with $OEM$ from the Unattended CD into

the Install folder. Extract the boot image and burn..........

SlamDunk