Windows File Protection

gamehead200

Its done via a reg tweak:

;Disable Windows File Protection
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SFCDisable"=dword:ffffff9d

... and No, I would'n say its a good idea, unless you actually are going to be tampering with the core system files... but of course, a true geek likes to play hard, right!? :)

I wouldn't switch it off untill you have checked your system for viruses & trojans as it sounds like something is trying to replace your system files...& unless its you! its a virus!!!! check your event viewer to see what files the proggy is trying to replace :)

I wouldn't switch it off untill you have checked your system for viruses & trojans as it sounds like something is trying to replace your system files...& unless its you! its a virus!!!! check your event viewer to see what files the proggy is trying to replace :rolleyes:

Looks like it was my Uxtheme...I told it to replace the file, and to my surprise, when I restarted my computer, I had the Windows Classic style in my face! :)THE HORROR! Anywayz, I just reinstalled my hacked Uxtheme...All is well! :D

And when I checked the event viewer:

Event Type:	Warning
Event Source: Windows File Protection
Event Category: None
Event ID: *****
Date:  10/9/2003
Time:  5:51:04 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: *******
Description:
The protected system file c:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating. Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file at a later time.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type:	Information
Event Source: Windows File Protection
Event Category: None
Event ID: *****
Date:  10/9/2003
Time:  7:32:04 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: *******
Description:
File replacement was attempted on the protected system file uxtheme.dll. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the bad file is 6.0.2800.1106, the version of the system file is 6.0.2800.1106.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.