Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HOWTO: Windows Vista x86 and x64 in the same DVD

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

sayyed.ali1981

sayyed.ali1981

Advance User

• 20 posts
  • Joined 18-April 09
1> i had made 3 folders, distribution,s x86,v x86, and i copied my vista dvd to distribution.
then i copied install.wim of server 2k8 to s x86, and moved install.wim of vista from distribution to v x86

2> i merged vista x32 ultimate install.wim & server 2008 x32 enterprise install.wim using giimagex in a single
install.wim,and deleted all clg files and copyed eula of server to vista license all process done fine.

3> i made a iso using ocdimage cmd

4> when i try to install iso using vmware. i could not get server 2008 in os selection menu and vista setup start
automatically

plz help me out y server 2008 is not showing in the os selection menu

:wacko:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

sayyed.ali1981

sayyed.ali1981

Advance User

• 20 posts
  • Joined 18-April 09
1> i had made 3 folders, distribution,s x86,v x86, and i copied my vista dvd to distribution.
then i copied install.wim of server 2k8 to s x86, and moved install.wim of vista from distribution to v x86

2> i merged vista x32 ultimate install.wim & server 2008 x32 enterprise install.wim using giimagex in a single
install.wim,and deleted all clg files and copyed eula of server to vista license all process done fine.

4> when i try to install iso using vmware. i could not get server 2008 in os selection menu and vista setup start
automatically

sayyed.ali1981

sayyed.ali1981

Advance User

• 20 posts
  • Joined 18-April 09

automatically

neuropass

neuropass

• PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Joined 09-September 08
is it possible to have a custon name instead of the original windows names??? and what about the autounattended file?? How can you make those version to use it's own xml files once selected??

Please help guys, don't abandon this post!!

Djus

Djus

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 12-September 03
This method works with Windows 7, you need of course new Windows7 AIK.

Thx for grate guide :)

DJ Prem

DJ Prem

• 33 posts
  • Joined 26-November 03
I've used the guide in Vista and worked flawlessly trying it Windows 7 and I'm getting error during install.

Djus

Djus

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 12-September 03

I've used the guide in Vista and worked flawlessly trying it Windows 7 and I'm getting error during install.

I'll be using my x64 and x86 RTM , you can use the ones you have (retail, etc.), the procedure is the same.

1. Please download and install the Windows7 Automated Installation Kit (AIK).
2. Please create a working folder:
c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\
and two more folders in it x86 and x64
3. Now, copy all the contents of your x86 DVD to the distribuition folder, in c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\
4. Move the file named install.wim￾ from c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\Sources to c:\Windows7AIO\Distriburion\x86

Delite all *.clg files from source folder!! And ei.cfg!!

5. Copy the file named install.wim￾ from the Sources folder of your x64 RTM to the folder c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64 (only install.wim)
6. Now, with admin rights, open the Deployment Tools Command Prompt (click in Start/All programs/Microsoft Windows AIK)
7. We change directory to our working folder:
Code:
CD c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\Sources

8. OK, here's the tricky part. We are now about to export the images of each windows version to a single .WIM image file. The command to do this is IMAGEX.EXE. The syntax is as follows:

Code:
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x86\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows7 Home Basic x86"
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows7 Home Basic x64"

This is what the first line of code does: export Version 1 of the source image file named Install.wim located in the folder c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x86 to the destination image file named Install.wim located in c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution. The number 1 corresponds to the Home Basic edition of Windows, take a look at the following table, for the SourceNumber and its corresponding Windows Edition:

Number	Windows x86Edition
1		   Home Basic
2		   Home Premium
3		   Professional
4		   Starter
5.			   Ultimate

Number	Windows x64Edition
1		   Home Basic
2		   Home Premium
3		   Professional
4.			   Ultimate
*there is no starter edition in x64!

Thus, for example if we wanted to add the 64bit Ultimate version of Windows7 to our newly created image we type the following command:

Code:
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64\install.wim 4 .\install.wim "Windows7 Ultimate x64"

9. Now that we've created our .WIM image file, let's create our ISO image file to make it ready to burn it to a DVD. To do this, still in the Deployment Tools Command Prompt window, we type:

Code:
oscdimg -n -bc:\Windows7AIO\distribution\boot\etfsboot.com c:\Windows7AIO\distribution c:\Win7_AIO.iso -m

This will create an ISO file named Win7_AIO.iso in c:\
Delete x86 and x64 folder!!Delete al .clg files from your distribution folder!! Delete Ei.cfg!!
Burn it with Nero on DVD and thats it!

thx go to member chon's guide on on MSFN forum, that I modified to win7

Enjoy

Edited by Djus, 28 August 2009 - 11:40 AM.

Teancum.of.legend

Teancum.of.legend
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 30-April 09
I have a question is it possible to integrate business volume licensing into a DVD. For example I would like to be able to access the standard edition of business and the vl edition as well on one DVD.

• 28 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

I'll be using my x64 and x86 RTM , you can use the ones you have (retail, etc.), the procedure is the same.

1. Please download and install the Windows7 Automated Installation Kit (AIK).
2. Please create a working folder:
c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\
and two more folders in it x86 and x64
3. Now, copy all the contents of your x86 DVD to the distribuition folder, in c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\
4. Move the file named install.wim￾ from c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\Sources to c:\Windows7AIO\Distriburion\x86

Delite all *.clg files from source folder!! And ei.cfg!!

5. Copy the file named install.wim￾ from the Sources folder of your x64 RTM to the folder c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64 (only install.wim)
6. Now, with admin rights, open the Deployment Tools Command Prompt (click in Start/All programs/Microsoft Windows AIK)
7. We change directory to our working folder:
Code:
CD c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\Sources

8. OK, here's the tricky part. We are now about to export the images of each windows version to a single .WIM image file. The command to do this is IMAGEX.EXE. The syntax is as follows:

Code:
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x86\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows7 Home Basic x86"
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows7 Home Basic x64"

This is what the first line of code does: export Version 1 of the source image file named Install.wim located in the folder c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x86 to the destination image file named Install.wim located in c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution. The number 1 corresponds to the Home Basic edition of Windows, take a look at the following table, for the SourceNumber and its corresponding Windows Edition:

Number	Windows x86Edition
1		   Home Basic
2		   Home Premium
3		   Professional
4		   Starter
5.			   Ultimate

Number	Windows x64Edition
1		   Home Basic
2		   Home Premium
3		   Professional
4.			   Ultimate
*there is no starter edition in x64!

Thus, for example if we wanted to add the 64bit Ultimate version of Windows7 to our newly created image we type the following command:

Code:
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64\install.wim 4 .\install.wim "Windows7 Ultimate x64"

9. Now that we've created our .WIM image file, let's create our ISO image file to make it ready to burn it to a DVD. To do this, still in the Deployment Tools Command Prompt window, we type:

Code:
oscdimg -n -bc:\Windows7AIO\distribution\boot\etfsboot.com c:\Windows7AIO\distribution c:\Win7_AIO.iso -m

This will create an ISO file named Win7_AIO.iso in c:\
Delete x86 and x64 folder!!Delete al .clg files from your distribution folder!! Delete Ei.cfg!!
Burn it with Nero on DVD and thats it!

thx go to member chon's guide on on MSFN forum, that I modified to win7

Enjoy

Whoever you quoted that steps from, it's incorrect.
1. You don't need to delete the *.clg files, only ei.cfg
2. You will need to delete the x86 and x64 folders first before creating the iso with oscdimg.

Yesnovato

Yesnovato

• 24 posts
  • Joined 13-February 10

As' can add the file Autounattended.xml for x86 and x64 versions?

Thank !!!

I want to do the same, can you do it? Please let me know
Thanks

neuropass

neuropass

• PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Joined 09-September 08
No one never answered here. Is it possible to have x86 anx64 working with an autounattended.xml file?

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 20-December 09
Should be yea.

I havent tried it myself.

neuropass

neuropass

• PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Joined 09-September 08
it doesn't work... the xml file needs to be specified with the OS architecture, so it works for one and not for the other one...

Is there a way to combine them?

BoomBoxCreations

BoomBoxCreations
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 12-June 10
Ive done this guide with windows 7! Works flawlessly!

hansekarl

hansekarl
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 30-June 10
cool staff, thanks for sharing .

BigDaddy

BigDaddy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 04-November 03
I have Win 7 Enterprise, and it doesn't work for me.
All I get is this and that is all>
Attached File  Capture.PNG   231.95KB   14 downloads

this is how my commands look like:

imagex /export D:\VistaAIO\x86\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows 7 Enterprise x86 BIE"

imagex /export D:\VistaAIO\x64\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows 7 Enterprise x64 BIE"

oscdimg -n -bD:\VistaAIO\distribucion\boot\etfsboot.com D:\VistaAIO\distribucion d:\Win7-Ent_x32_x64.iso -m

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,060 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

"Windows 7 Enterprise x86 BIE"

"Windows 7 Enterprise x64 BIE"

looks like warez, which is not allowed here to talk about :whistle:
Posted Image

BigDaddy

BigDaddy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 04-November 03
it is warez, but I got a license anyway-MSDNAA :)
I prefer the non official Windows versions because of the darn activation software. Which always gets in the way esspecially when switching GPU's, which I do quite often ;)

BigDaddy

BigDaddy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 04-November 03
MagicAndre
You gave me the idea to try with the official MSDNAA images. And there it works great.

All I had to do was delete the EI.CFG and change the numbers to 4 for x32 and 5 for x64 Win 7 Ultimate

btw. Anybody got any idea why it doesn't work with the BIE release?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,060 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

delete the last comments about the warez version ;) Or do you want a ban?

Use the MSDNAA version and be happy.
Posted Image

BigDaddy

BigDaddy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 04-November 03

delete the last comments about the warez version ;) Or do you want a ban?

Use the MSDNAA version and be happy.

Will delete the comments about WAREZ version, if you want?
I just didn't see the point of lying about it especially since I own the genuine Windows.

btw. To the guide on the first page it should be added how to do it for Windows 7. I can happily make the proper changes, and then a mod can edit the OP's post to also add the section about Win 7 and then also change the title of this thread.

Edited by BigDaddy, 18 September 2010 - 01:26 AM.

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 20-December 09
Same thing for creating a 7 AIO..

First alt is to execute commans below
Imagex /export "old install.wim" "index" "new install.wim" "editionname 32Bit" (index 1-5)
Imagex /export "old install.wim" "index" "new install.wim" "editionname 64Bit" (index 1-4)

Do the above for all 9 (or 8 if not starter) and then replace the old install.wim with the new one

Or you can do this
Imagex /export "64bit dvd install.wim" "index" "32bit dvd install.wim" "editionname 64Bit" (index 1-4)

then use oscdimg command to create new iso and then burn, size for english will be around 3.6 GB without enterprise.

EneergE

EneergE

• 34 posts
  • Joined 06-May 06
If you need to integrate several versions on to a single disk, you may need to split the WIM image, otherwise it won't be read properly.

Here's another post that can help you split the images. http://www.msfn.org/...wim-4gb-for-w7/

The format used to create the ISO doesn't support >~4gb WIMs. So you can use imagex /split to split it and then use oscdimg to make the ISO.

Create your modified WIM images.
Merge them into a single install.wim.
Then split the wim using imagex.
Create the ISO using oscdimg or vLite.

I merged all versions of x86 and x64 into install.wim and then did the following:

imagex /split Install.wim Install.SWM 4096 /check
oscdimg -b"D:\Images\ISOs\Windows Vista\Distribution\boot\etfsboot.com" -u2 -h -m -lVistaOct10 "D:\Images\ISOs\Windows Vista\Distribution" ".\Windows Vista AIO.iso"

May be redundant using UDF, not sure.

Edited by EneergE, 13 October 2010 - 09:54 PM.

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 20-December 09
Well 2 editions will fit on a 4.5 GB DVD but not an full AIO.

predatorjohn

predatorjohn
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 06-October 10
Hi.
I too tried to join Vista SP2 x86 and Vista SP2 x64.
Each one is installing fine and fast in VirtualBox. But whey they are "together" the setup is very slow, beginning with the window that shows the editions. Specifically each window appears after many minutes + pressing the buttons to do something inside the window is also carried out very slow (for example when you want to format the partition).
The setup isn't frozen, you can move the mouse easily.
In the host OS Task Manager shows that one of two processors is constantly at 100% (VirtualBox). Soon as the next window appears or the command is carried out the processor usage drops to 0.

Can you please help me solve this problem?
Thank you in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users