The Art of OEM - nLite & OEM Preinstallation

Your opinion goes here  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like for Windows Designer Studio to perform most of the operations described in this guide?

• Yes, and I want more features too!
    • Yes
    • No, I'd rather stick with the plain old Windows Setup routine.
    • No, it's just a waste of time; nLite/vLite will always be enough for my needs.
  2. 2. Now that this guide is complete, are you happy with its contents?

• Yes, it's a great idea!
    • Somewhat, I used some of the things described here.
    • Probably, but it is too complex for me to handle.
    • No
  3. 3. Which of these should benefit you the most and you'd like to see first in Windows Designer Studio? (more details soon)

• Windows Setup SDK (Panther Engine) - WIM capture, Setup customization and ISO making, like in Parts 3 and 4
    • VKEY Explorer - an advanced tool to design the registry of the OS you are designing
    • Package Designer - a set of diff and compression tools to allow you to author/create/add/remove windows components and preinstalled apps
    • VM Workbench - an extension for the free VMware Player product to test the results of your work before finalizing

Introduction

HTML Version, PDF Version

- Part 1 covers the creation of your base install. In it you will learn how to create a lab environment, personalize Windows with nLite and test it in a controlled environment.

- Part 2 covers Microsoft Sysprep and resealing the nLited OS to make it ready for the end-user.

- Part 3 covers my research concerning imaging and V2P (virtual-to-physical) migration and imaging, the reverse process for VMware P2V.

- Part 4 covers various means of deploying the customized OS.

- Part 5 is a quick guide for workstations, covering concepts detailed in parts 1 and 2.

- Part 6 (latest) "Heroes Happen Here"

Edited by dexter.inside

Part 1 - The Base Install

Featured: Windows 2003 Small Business Server

I will be using in this tutorial my own copy of Windows 2003 Small Business Server Edition, which is the most complex scenario that I could think of. Doing the same with Windows XP is much simpler. I chose SBS and, subsequently, WHS because they fit best the purpose of this 4-part guide. First, it involves many components that cannot be slipstreamed through unattended install. Second, it is one of the most undocumented SKUs of NT 5.2 up-to-date. Third, I want to demonstrate how to integrate a service pack, R2, Media Center 2005 (codenamed Freestyle), and Home Server (codenamed Quattro) on your installation media with minimal or no installation time penalties.

1.1. A few things you should know before starting

For Part 1, I have used the following:

- Windows 2003 Small Business Server Edition, build 3790.0, 3 CDs

- Windows 2003 R2 for SBS

- Windows 2003 Service Pack 2, standalone update pack (build 3790.3959)

- VMware Workstation 6

- nLite 1.3.0.4

- Business Desktop Deployment 2007 v3.0.141.0

- Total Commander 7

Also, I use these terms:

- technician's computer, the computer you are

using to modify the OS.

- distribution share, the folder (shared over intranet or not) that contains the OS files and folders. In this example, I:\temp\SBS

- lab, the computer that is used to test the OS, either physical or virtual.

- host, a physical machine that hosts one or more virtual machines. In my case, the technician's computer.

- guest, a virtual machine that is hosted by the host computer. In my case, the same as the lab computer.

It is a common OEM practice to use more than one computer for doing this. Because I know most of you do not have a domain server / home server or at least 2-3 computers available, this tutorial was done on only one computer.

Please remember that Windows Deployment Services through PXE boot, and not removable media, is the quickest solution in most of real scenarios.

1.2. The Distribution Share

Make sure you have enough space on the partition you are using. For this scenario, you will need 3 Gb of free space. I am doing the entire tutorial in a folder named I:\temp, which is physically a dynamic spanned partition with striping. RAID is by far the best choice. If your hard drive is slow, the operations described here will take a long time. Remember, snacks are good for you only with moderation.

First, you will have to add the files and folders from all the media in your distribution share. Mine is named I:\temp\SBS.

T1-001.jpg

Picture 1 - Windows 2003 SBS CD1

T1-002.jpg

Picture 2 - required from Windows 2003 SBS CD2

T1-003.jpg

Picture 3 - required from Windows 2003 SBS CD3

Afterwards, also add R2. It is a common mistake to presume that R2 is SKU-independent. Each Server 2003 edition has its own R2. For example, in Picture 3 you can see the R2 for Enterprise Edition. You cannot use it with SBS.

T1-003.jpg

Picture 4 - Windows 2003 R2

Note that it contains a file called WIN52IA.R2, "ia" meaning Enterprise Edition. You can see the SKU in SLIPSTREAM.INF. The correct R2 for SBS should contain "il", like in Picture 5.

T1-005.jpg

Picture 5 - SLIPSTREAM.INF, for SBS

This is the resulting distribution share.

T1-006.jpg

Picture 6 - My Distribution Share

1.3. nLite the Distribution Share (1)

Even if there are other methods of slipstreaming a service pack, doing

it with nLite certainly looks better. In case your edition is not

already slipsteamed, use this:

T1-007.jpg

Picture 7 - Service Pack 2

So, here goes:

T1-008.jpg

Picture 8 - nLite Welcome Screen

Select your distribution share in nLite:

T1-009.jpg

Picture 9 - Windows Installation Location

You will need nLite twice, first with these 2 options.

T1-011.jpg

Picture 11 - Task selection

Edited by dexter.inside

Here you select the location of the Service Pack

T1-012.jpg

Picture 12 - Service Pack

Which will produce a warning, because there are some leftovers on the SBS I used.

T1-013.jpg

Picture 13 - Warning

T1-014.jpg

Picture 14 - Location of Service Pack

T1-015.jpg

Picture 15 - Extracting files

T1-016.jpg

Picture 16 - Update share

T1-017.jpg

Picture 17 - Finished

The slipstream process has updated the distribution share. Service Pack 2 covers all the hotfixes for Server 2003. Besides it, you may need Terminal Services Client 6.0 and Internet Explorer 7.

You must slipstream SP2 in a non-trial edition of Server 2003 (either gold or SP1). The process will not work if the trial 360-day timebomb is present. Also, you have to do the slipstreaming before adding any other hotfixes / add-ons.

You can see here the build version for Service Pack 2 - v3959, information updated in nLite after slipstream. Windows Server 2003 is NT 5.2 build 3790.

T1-018.jpg

Picture 18 - Status in nLite

You can now continue with other stuff.

T1-019.jpg

Picture 19 - Add-ons

T1-020.jpg

Picture 20 - Choose the add-on

In this tutorial, I've added just IE7. Remember, adding stuff this way will increase setup time. In Part 2 of this tutorial, I will describe a more efficient way to add stuff to your OEM image, with little or no install-time penalty, even for dozens of programs. The "vanilla" unattended method used by nLite was introduced several years ago when there were no other alternatives available.

T1-021.jpg

Picture 21 - Internet Explorer 7

Edited by dexter.inside

T1-022.jpg

Picture 22 - Advanced Options

T1-023.jpg

Picture 23 - Perform Operations

T1-024.jpg

Picture 24 - Finished

T1-025.jpg

Picture 25 - The Result

At this point I also add extra stuff:

T1-026.jpg

Picture 26 - Extra Stuff

1.4. Slipstreaming XPize

P1-027.jpg

Picture 27 - XPize Welcome Screen

P1-028.jpg

Picture 28 - Create ISO

P1-029.jpg

Picture 29 - Select Distribution Share

P1-030.jpg

Picture 30 - Patching

Edited by dexter.inside

P1-031.jpg

Picture 31 - Finished

1.5. nLite the Distribution Share (2)

This time I will use nLite to remove unneeded stuff in my distribution share.

T1-032.jpg

Picture 32 - Distribution Share

T1-033.jpg

Picture 33 - Task Selection

Business Desktop Deployment 2007 is the most efficient way to manage your drivers today. It has a workbench that quickly adds/removes drivers from it's own distribution share. Sorting, efficient renaming and detailed info makes it a must-have for windows reinstallation geeks out

there. Note that you will also need a copy of Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK), preferably the one for Vista RTM.

In this case, I only have loaded Mass Storage PnP drivers. If you intend to try out Part 2 of this tutorial, don't add non-PnP drivers at this stage. BDD Workbench stores these drivers in \Distribution\Out-of-Box Drivers.

T1-035.jpg

Picture 35 - Driver Pane

You will need to add to nLite hdc, SCSIAdapter and System driver collections from BDD Workbench. Due to the fact that I only have this folders loaded in this tutorial, I add the entire Out-of-Box Drivers folder.

T1-036.jpg

Picture 36 - Multiple Driver Folder

You should not add 64-bit Mass Storage drivers in 32-bit editions of windows. Most likely you'd get UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME BSoD.

T1-037.jpg

Picture 37 - Drivers to integrate

So, this is my final list of Mass Storage drivers I will add:

T1-038.jpg

Picture 38 - Final list of drivers

To be able to perform Part 2 of this tutorial, you will need to keep Windows Update, Sysprep and OOBE compatibility.

T1-039.jpg

Picture 39 - Compatiblity Removal

Here you remove what you don't want in your base install image.

T1-040.jpg

Picture 40 - Components

Edited by dexter.inside

As you are not yet performing OEM preinstallation in this part of the tutorial, you should keep it Disabled. Loading extra non-PnP drivers when booting may be needed in certain scenarios.

In order to perform Part 2, you will need either 32-bit ACPI hardware abstraction layer (HAL) for 32-bit windows, or 64-bit ACPI for 64-bit windows (like Windows XP SP2 x64). I will be using a method that relies on this HAL in Part 2, to make your windows device-independent, like it happens when you install Vista.

My SBS R2 license key covers 50 CALs (client access licenses). You should choose what's most suitable for your standalone server/domain controller/test scenario.

T1-041.jpg

Picture 41 - Unattended General

Add here whatever cleanup / registry operations you want to perform with elevated privileges.

T1-042.jpg

Picture 42 - RunOnce

T1-043.jpg

Picture 43 - Users

I added the Media Center 2006 theme Royale Noir here.

T1-044.jpg

Picture 44 - Desktop Themes

T1-045.jpg

Picture 45 - Automatic Updates

T1-046.jpg

Picture 46 - Display

I am configuring IIS and SCW after installation. To save install time, I've disabled them.

T1-047.jpg

Picture 47 - Components

I am merging SP2.CAB and DRIVER.CAB without high compression. The resulting DRIVER.CAB is ~120 Mb. Also, the Classic setup theme is a bit faster (I don't like the billboards from XP setup).

T1-048.jpg

Picture 48 - General Options

You will need to disable SFC in this tutorial. If you do not, it may corrupt many of the advanced modifications I'm doing later on.

T1-049.jpg

Picture 49 - Patches

Personalize here the desktop experience you need.

T1-050.jpg

Picture 50 - General Tweaks

At this point, changes you do here will have no effect, because OEM Preinstall is turned off. What you change here will be enforced by what you will do in Part 3, during the virtual-to-physical (V2P) migration.

Edited by dexter.inside

T1-051.jpg

Picture 51 - Services

T1-052.jpg

Picture 52 - Processing

T1-053.jpg

Picture 53 - Finished

Don't create the ISO just yet if you want to add other tweaks like 2003 server-to-workstation or any Transformation Pack.

T1-054.jpg

Picture 54 - Bootable ISO

1.6. Slipstreaming Vista Transformation

Pack

Remember that OEM Preinstall is disabled, so themes will not be properly loaded on Server 2003 just yet. (the service will stay disabled).

P1-055.jpg

Picture 55 - Vista Transformation Pack

P1-056.jpg

Picture 56 - Transform setup files

P1-057.jpg

Picture 57 - Resolution and DPI

P1-058.jpg

Picture 58 - Distribution Share

P1-059.jpg

Picture 59 - Apply transformation

P1-060.jpg

Picture 60 - General system UI

Edited by dexter.inside

P1-061.jpg

Picture 61 - Application UI

P1-062.jpg

Picture 62 - Interface

P1-063.jpg

Picture 63 - Toolbar

P1-064.jpg

Picture 64 - Copying

P1-065.jpg

Picture 65 - Updating resources

P1-066.jpg

Picture 66 - Finished

You can see here some of the files that were added by VTP6.

T1-067.jpg

Picture 67 - Files were added

1.7. Build the Base Install ISO

As the distribution share is ready, it is time to create the ISO:

T1-068.jpg

Picture 68 - ISO Location

T1-069.jpg

Picture 69 - Preparing

If you are not happy with the ISO creation feature in nLite for some reason, you can try OSCDIMG from Windows AIK.

T1-070.jpg

Picture 70 - Writing

Edited by dexter.inside

Wow Dexter GREAT guide. I've seen your name on a few builds online. I wont say where but awesome builds. We need more brain power in this forum. A lot of the masters dont seem to be around here anymore. The ones that are dont seem to care to much.

This guide is so detailed, hope you finish it soon. Amazing stuff, I have a few questions.

Edited by Madhits45

T1-071.jpg

Picture 71 - Finished

1.8. Lab Configuration

In this tutorial I am using VMware Workstation 6.

If you get freaky because of fragmentation levels on your beautiful partitions, remember that this operation causes a lot of fragmentation. In order to maximize disk I/O in VMware you should either defragment at this point, or use contig.exe from Sysinternals to keep your VMDKs contiguous. I use Diskeeper 2007 Server Enterprise.

T1-072.jpg

Picture 72 - Massive fragmentation

Here's my edition of VMware. If you are using a Debug (checked) release, you should swap the contents between the bin and bin-debug folders in your VMware installation, otherwise performance will be very poor.

T1-073.jpg

Picture 73 - About VMware

This is how VMware Workstation looks like when there are no virtual machines configured.

T1-074.jpg

Picture 74 - VMware

I have detailed below the best practice for creating a suitable lab for testing the image you built in this part of the tutorial.

P1-075.jpg

Picture 75 - New Virtual Machine Wizard

P1-076.jpg

Picture 76 - Custom VM

P1-077.jpg

Picture 77 - Workstation 6

Windows Home Server is also built on the Small Business platform.

P1-078.jpg

Picture 78 - Guest OS

P1-079.jpg

Picture 79 - Name

P1-080.jpg

Picture 80 - Memory

Edited by dexter.inside

P1-081.jpg

Picture 81 - Network

P1-082.jpg

Picture 82 - Disk Controller

P1-083.jpg

Picture 83 - New Disk

P1-084.jpg

Picture 84 - LSI Logic Ultra320 SCSI

P1-085.jpg

Picture 85 - Disk Size

P1-086.jpg

Picture 86 - Disk Location

T1-087.jpg

Picture 87 - Initial Config

T1-088.jpg

Picture 88 - Settings

Use the ISO you made to boot.

T1-089.jpg

Picture 89 - Options

T1-090.jpg

Picture 90 - Final VM Config

Edited by dexter.inside

1.9. Lab Deployment

The initial deployment is done with removable media in this tutorial.

T1-091.jpg

Picture 91 - BIOS

T1-092.jpg

Picture 92 - Boot

T1-093.jpg

Picture 93 - Text-mode Setup

T1-094.jpg

Picture 94 - Copying files

T1-095.jpg

Picture 95 - Windows Logo

1.10. Windows Setup

T1-096.jpg

Picture 96 - Installing Devices

T1-097.jpg

Picture 97 - Name and Organization

T1-098.jpg

Picture 98 - Product Key

T1-099.jpg

Picture 99 - Computer

T1-100.jpg

Picture 100 - Date and Time

Edited by dexter.inside

T1-101.jpg

Picture 101 - Networking

T1-102.jpg

Picture 102 - Components

T1-103.jpg

Picture 103 - Final Tasks

T1-104.jpg

Picture 104 - First Boot

T1-105.jpg

Picture 105 - Vista Transformation Pack

T1-106.jpg

Picture 106 - Personalized Settings

T1-107.jpg

Picture 107 - Server Post-Setup Security

T1-108.jpg

Picture 108 - R2AUTO

T1-109.jpg

Picture 109 - Automatic Updates

P1-110.jpg

Picture 110 - Lab Disk size

Edited by dexter.inside

Please continue! I had no idea that BDD2007 offered updated drivers for Windows installations, let alone a way to edit Windows installation sources. I really should have known this, what with being an OEM and all :) Very Cool guide.

I had no idea that BDD2007 offered updated drivers for Windows installations

Actually BDD2007 does not offer any drivers, those are my drivers from my collection, which I manage with BDD.

I will continue when I have the necessary screenshots, this is intended to be a visual-oriented guide.