Catalyst® 7.3 Display Driver

kartel

Thanx for information. and I m not lucky even I m using ATI Xpress 200 onboard graphics and this one supports my graphics.

Becoz it creates problem after installtion in Vista and XP

In Vista, Aero Exprience index has gone disabled and unable to refresh giving msg to New Hardware changes detected and Aero Assesment can't be done.

In XP, I m using Borland Turbo C++ v3.0 for 16-bit App development. It is blinking after installlation.

any suggestion Plz.

So Use this one own RISK

I wanted to warn users off updating to the Catalyst 7.3 on Vista or XP. A bug exists where only disabling one of the processes (ATI External something or other) will allow Windows to even bootup without blue screening!

The forum at driverheaven.net has a thread where folks are working with the Catalyst Maker (ATI developer) in sorting out this particular issue. Most folks there have backtracked to the Catalyst 7.2 to avoid the problem for now.

So if you haven't installed the 7.3's yet it may be best to avoid doing so. The 7.2's work fine. ATI will either release a patch, a different version, or wait until the next release to fix this.

I hope this helps folks avoid a nasty problem.

If you have the driver installed and are not able to boot into Windows, get on over to the driverheaven specific thread in the Radeon driver forum there that mentions the BSOD problem. You can recover by disabling that process or doing a System Restore from Safe Mode to before you installed the 7.3's. They tell you exactly what the process is and even have a script to run that disables the process and lets you run the 7.3's if you want to take advantage of any specific improvements over the 7.2 Cat's.

Edited by Eck

right long story short i bought new gfx cards 2x 1950xtx cards to test out before i desided on new r600 coming out or getting a set of 8800gtx cards.

good idea as cards can go into my kids pc when i do make the move and upgrade mine fully.

well clean install of vista and disabled UAC, intel chipset installation, then i went to bang on the new ATi 7.3ccc drivers.

drivers installed perfectly till i rebooted and i got a BSOD

rebooted again and it dropped me auto to f8 screen, where from there i decided to go and start pc in low res screen mode (used to be called vga mode in xp) LOL system booted up without the BSOD, i then went around setting up gfx cards desktop res and soso.

once i finished all that i rebooted again (at this point hoping and praying i will not BSOD again) and bingo straight into vista fine.

been running vista ultimate 32bit with ati 7.3ccc now for 2days complete without further problems or BSOD

games such as cs.16/supreme commander/Quake4/BF2/BF2142/prey all working fine and without a problem.

so if anyone else is having a issue with ati drivers and vista give it a shot and let me know if it works for you in this way or let me know i was just **** lucky.

system specs are:

Asus P5W DH/WiFi DLX (board)

Intel e6600 cpu + Freezer 7 pro HSF (air)

2x 1gig Corsair XMS2 800MHz DDR2 (memory)

2x ATi X1950XTX by Connect3D using ATi 7.3 cats

1x Maxtor 250gig sata2 drive

2x Maxtor 300gig sata2 drive

1x NEC dvdrw ide drive

580w HiperX sli ready psu.

Edited by Batfinks

Just an advisory for others who might own an ATI Radeon 1950GT video card (by ATI or other ATI-based brand).

The Catalyst v7.2 release notes on the ATI-AMD web site indicated that the ATI Radeon 1950GT cards were not supported by Catalyst v7.2, but would be supported by Catalyst v7.3 drivers. Catalyst v7.2 will not even install on Vista with my Sapphire ATI Radeon 1950GT installed. Catalyst v7.3 installs, but on the reboot it errors, stating a compatible video card is not installed.

I placed a technical support call to ATI last week, on which a technician informed me that the 1950GT is not actually supported by Catalyst v7.3 drivers. Yet the current release notes on the ATI-AMD web site do not warn of this.

• 2 weeks later...