Vista unattended Guide

was it something wrong with these lines from Firegeirers guide to install drivers from media ?? (":\" should NOT be there ?)

@ECHO OFF
SET DriversRoot=NULL

:SearchDriversRoot
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\DriversRoot.txt SET DriversRoot=%%i:\
IF NOT "%DriversRoot%"=="NULL" GOTO StartSetup
GOTO SearchDriversRoot

:StartSetup
ECHO DriversRoot=%DriversRoot%
X:\setup.exe

Has anyone manage to get this to work ???

Edited by kentk

That batch script is correct I've just compared it to the one I use and it's identical except that I don't add the trailing slash to the path but do it in the Autounattend.xml. But that is purely cosmetic.

Do you get the console window appear when WinPE first boots and tells you that DriversRoot has been set?

Dobby, I have not tried it yet..

But I will tonight :)

So what you are saying is that it should look like this in order to work:

@ECHO OFF
SET DriversRoot=NULL

:SearchDriversRoot
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\DriversRoot.txt SET DriversRoot=%%i:
IF NOT "%DriversRoot%"=="NULL" GOTO StartSetup
GOTO SearchDriversRoot

:StartSetup
ECHO DriversRoot=%DriversRoot%
X:\setup.exe

Why is it X:\setup.exe ?

Edited by kentk

Yes it's correct. It's checking each drive for a file called DriversRoot.txt which you should have created on the drive that you have your drivers on. When it finds this file it sets an environment variable called DriversRoot to it. This is what is then used in Autounattend.xml to tell WinPE where to find the drivers for your hardware %DriversRoot%\drivers is the drive and folder that you should have your drivers in.

X:\setup.exe tells WinPE to run windows setup. This is needed because you are overriding what WinPE does when it boots. I think X:\ is a ram drive that WinPE creates and copies a bunch of startup files to (but don't quote me on that. I never checked). Either that or it's just a drive mapped from the DVD probably to give a constant drive letter that setup knows about. (As your DVD drive could be D:, E:, or F: depending on how many hard drives you have).

There are two components. One called Windows-International-Core and one called Windows-International-Core-WinPE. The WinPE one only applies to the PE pass and the other applies to specialize and oobeSystem passes.

I'm not sure about the languages as I only use English and Russian (for the wife) but I noticed something about Language Packs so maybe you need one of these Packs to be able to select the appropriate language. Sorry I can't be anymore help.

Can you post the settings that you're using to enable Russian language support?

Yes it's correct. It's checking each drive for a file called DriversRoot.txt which you should have created on the drive that you have your drivers on. When it finds this file it sets an environment variable called DriversRoot to it. This is what is then used in Autounattend.xml to tell WinPE where to find the drivers for your hardware %DriversRoot%\drivers is the drive and folder that you should have your drivers in.

X:\setup.exe tells WinPE to run windows setup. This is needed because you are overriding what WinPE does when it boots. I think X:\ is a ram drive that WinPE creates and copies a bunch of startup files to (but don't quote me on that. I never checked). Either that or it's just a drive mapped from the DVD probably to give a constant drive letter that setup knows about. (As your DVD drive could be D:, E:, or F: depending on how many hard drives you have).

Thanks Dobby :thumbup

Is this method the best way to add AHCI drivers for my SATA disc during installation ??

Edited by kentk

Yes, SATA drivers are included but not the AHCI drivers, you have to choose this setting in bios

in AHCI mode the SATA disc has better performance....i think ;)

Edited by kentk

@kentk and anyone else who is interested...

You can always hit Shift-F10 to bring up a cmd window during install. I've done this many times as it has allowed me to edit cmd files on-the-fly without having to rebuild an image. Pretty cool when you make mistakes in your cmd/batches. You can even run some programs from it (ie; notepad.exe).

I also use it to search drives (such as X:) to watch everything as it happens...

Careful when editing some files though as timing is everything (for instance, I edit setupcomplete.cmd at the very last second (beginning of third boot)). And you will most likely have to do ATTRIB -R commands to be able to edit some files (such as setupcomplete.cmd).

Edited by razormoon

:( cant get the "install drivers from media or DVD" to work...

Have set the Microsoft-Windows-PnPCustomizationsWinPE \ DriverPaths \ PathAndCredentials path to %DriversRoot%\Drivers

And in Setdriversroot.cmd

....SET DriversRoot=%%i:

When I boot the ISO I get a cmd window which say driversroot = d:

Shortly after I get a error window:

It is not possible to install one or more drivers which is necessary for systemstart, check that the drivers are correct and restart installation, OK...

I have copied files into the drivers folder, have made subfolders called 000_xxxx and in the folders I have unpacked the drivers (.inf and other filetypes)

Should it ONLY be .inf files in the folders ???

Edited by kentk

Can you install Vista manually? I'm sure you can but I just wanted to check.

Also, have you checked the Windows\Panther logs setupact.log and setuperr.log and also in the UnattendGC folder (under the panther folder). Sometime (but not often) they give a bit more info about the error. If you press Shift+F10 when you get the error you'll get a command prompt. You could just try navigating to the folder mentioned just to make sure it's visible.

Lastly, try removing all but one of the drivers you are trying to install. If you list the drivers this may help us diagnose the problem. Also what medium do you have the Autounattend.xml and drivers on and what filesystem is it formatted as.

Edited by Dobby

The vista installation iso is/was working before this...

I have just altered the needed steps for "install drivers from media or dvd" and then this problem occoured :(

I have tried to burn DVD and ISO on VM same result

I tried to rename folders without 000_xxx and removed all but the .inf files, same error :(

I have added AHCI, Intel inf, Yukon LAN, intel LAN drivers...

setupact.log shows all files, tells that some is not .inf and pass on..in the end there is 0x0640ae IBSLIB publishmessage:It is not possible to install one or more drivers which is necessary for systemstart, check that the drivers are correct and restart installation

no UnattendGC folder !?

EDIT:

Another question, in the guide : imagex /mountrw D:\VistaWork\DVD\sources\boot.wim 2 D:\VistaWork\Mount

to mount boot.wim, but should it not be a "1" for the PE and not a "2" as in the guide ???

Edited by kentk

Lastly, try removing all but one of the drivers you are trying to install. If you list the drivers this may help us diagnose the problem. Also what medium do you have the Autounattend.xml and drivers on and what filesystem is it formatted as.

Have you tried this?

2 is correct

What's the Intel INF? Do you mean the lan drivers. Start with one set of drivers. And BTW it doesn't matter what other files/folders are in the drivers folder. I find it easiest just to place the whole bundle in there.

Edited by Dobby

Maybe I missunderstand what this pass is for !?

I thought I would add up all known drivers for my system so I dont need to install them after vista is installed..

I thought that this pass would make all drivers present for vista...

Intel INF is intel chipset drivers..