Internet and two computers

rut

I got loptop and PC. I got internet on my PC and I want to have internet on my loptop so I have to divide it. I have a modem Speedstream 5100 and it has three sockets (power, enthernet, and phone line). Do I have to buy router, switch, hub or somethin'? What is the best way to divide my internet? I'm newbie ;P

I think you'll need a router or hub. Seems you should plug the modem into the wall, an ethernet cable into the modem, connect a hub to that one Ethernet cable, and connect two more Ethernet cables between the router and the two computers. But I'm not positive, so you'll want to try and find more info probably. Also, make sure you're allowed to "split" your internet between two computers. Some ISPs prohibit you from using your internet connection for more than one computer at once, or so I've been told.

All you need is the router (possibly a wireless router if you want that for your laptop). All you do is go from the ethernet port on the modem to the WAN port on the router. Then attach the desktop to one of the other ports. If the laptop isn't going to be wireless you would attach it to one of the other ports. If the laptop is going to be wireless you would configure wireless as appropriate.

Most of the good routers (i.e. Linksys WRT54G...that's wireless model) come with some pretty straight forward documentation for setting them up. It'll work right out of the box with minimum configuration. Since you're on DSL it may take a little more configuration to get the modem working, but even that is fairly easy.

you can buy a router like this the other said.

or you plugin a second networkcard into your computer and share the internet connection over this card.

the problem on this solution is that your pc have to run the hole time you will go online with your laptop.

the best solution is a router with wlan so you can use a wlan card with your laptop

or you plugin a second networkcard into your computer and share the internet connection over this card.

the problem on this solution is that your pc have to run the hole time you will go online with your laptop.

ICS is a PITA to set up... Best bet is to get a router.

My wireless card in my laptop is Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. Is it work good with Linksys WRT54G? Does Linksys WRT54G has AP and switch? If yes can I do something like that.. connect my modem with router using RJ45 and then connect my network card in my PC with router using one of those 4 left ports (in my network card i have a only one port [for RJ45]) and set up my AP and connect my loptop using wireless connection. I mean can I connect one computer using cable and one using wireless card. Sorry for those stupid questions but I'm newbie and I'm starting with networting.