MKISOFS

Hi all,

I need a little help: I would like to make a multiboot DVD with an XP SP2 and a GeexBox on it. I made menu with EasyBoot. If I make the DVD with cdimage, the geexbox will quit during loading, if I use mkisofs, the Windows will freeze during boot, I get a black screen.

I use this command line:

mkisofs.exe -no-pad -joliet-long -V WXPEE -o -z -r -N -d -D -U -iso-level 4 -boot-load-size 4 -relaxed-filenames -no-iso-translate -no-emul-boot -b cdboot/fullboot.bin mydvd.iso mydvd

Please help!

Joc

Correct me if I wrong, but I belive the EasyBoot is using the cdimage in it. I tried it, same than the external cdimage, didnt work the geexbox part. Anybody?

HELP!

Joc

This technologie is working only with Live! XP (XP from DVD directly), not with the installer. Dead end... I belive nobody can merge Windows and Linux onto one DVD.

Joc

With cd-roms, one must bear in mind that a lot of computer BIOSes do not support the complete eltorito boot specs. You are better off using one of the modes that MS uses (eg a single boot block, which might load a menu, or 1440k floppies), because this is the common support for no emulation and emulation respectively.

his technologie is working only with Live! XP (XP from DVD directly), not with the installer. Dead end... I belive nobody can merge Windows and Linux onto one DVD.

Cannot say where did you get this information. :blink:

With grub4dos you can make a double boot (XP installation + Linux) allright, as well as a BartPE+Linux.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

@All

Joc asked me if I could help him in making a dual boot cd with GEEXBOX + XP SETUP.

Here is the resulting "HOWTO", GEEXBOX uses the ZFS ISO filesystem, this needs a -z parameter for mkisofs that appears to be somewhat incompatible with XP cd.

The workaround is to uncompress the GEEXBOX .iso and re-build it uncompressed, since original .iso is very small, around 8.5 Mb, the uncompressed version is not much bigger, around 9.5 Mb.

In the following I used grub4dos, or to be more exact grub4dos's grldr as bootselector, but I guess that making the same with CDshell, BCDW or isolinux should be possible as well.

1) download Geexbox Generator:

http://geexbox.org/en/index.html

http://www.geexbox.org/releases/1.1-rc2/ge...rc2.i386.tar.gz

2) download grub4dos 0.4.2:

http://grub4dos.jot.com/WikiHome

http://grub4dos.jot.com/WikiHome/grub_for_dos-0.4.2.zip

3) install generator normally, use it to generate a .iso for your system

4) test the .iso, loop to #3 until you are satisfied with result

5) copy and paste the following into a new file geexbox-generator-1.1-rc2.i386\geexprep.cmd

@ECHO OFF
CLS
ECHO Small batch to extract a GEEXBOX ZFStree to uncompressed tree
SET Root_dir=dualboot
SET ISO_dir=dualboot\MYISO
SET Source_dir=dualboot\origISO\GEEXBOX
SET Base_source_dir=dualboot\origISO
SET Dest_dir=dualboot\MYISO\GEEXBOX
ECHO.
ECHO SOURCE tree is %Source_dir%
ECHO.
ECHO DESTINATION is %Dest_dir%
ECHO.
PAUSE

:START
IF NOT EXIST %Root_dir% md %Root_dir%
IF NOT EXIST %ISO_dir% md %ISO_dir%
IF NOT EXIST %Base_source_dir% md %Base_source_dir%
IF NOT EXIST %Source_dir% goto :error
IF EXIST %Dest_dir% (
CLS
ECHO The directory %Dest_dir% and all it's contents will be erased.
RD %Dest_dir% /S
)

ECHO NOW the tree will be extracted....
PAUSE
tools\win32\mkzftree -u -v %Source_dir% %Dest_dir%

PAUSE
GOTO :EOF

:ERROR
ECHO YOU must copy the GEEXBOX folder and all it's contents to \dualboot\origISO\GEEXBOX
PAUSE

6) run geexprep.cmd it will prepare the directory tree and exit with an error, ignore it and go on

7) mount the .iso as a virtual CD or however copy the entire Geexbox folder from the working Geexbox CD to \dualboot\origiso\

8) extract from the grub4dos archive the file grldr to \dualboot\myiso\

9) copy and paste the following into a new file \dualboot\myiso\menu.lst

# Following lines load a splashimage and set text foreground/background colour
splashimage /GEEXBOX/usr/share/grub-splash.xpm.gz
foreground = 69ee44
background = 337722
timeout 10
default 0

title GEEXBOX
kernel /GEEXBOX/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 rw init=linuxrc boot=cdrom remote=atiusb receiver=atiusb keymap=qwerty splash=silent vga=0 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr
initrd /GEEXBOX/boot/initrd.gz

title XP SETUP
chainloader /I386/SETUPLDR.BIN

Please note that these are the settings I needed to use to make Geexbox work on my QEMU, you might want to revise the kernel parameters by checking them against the correspoding ones in

\dualboot\myiso\GEEXBOX\boot\isolinux.cfg, here is MY line:

APPEND initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 rw init=linuxrc boot=cdrom remote=atiusb receiver=atiusb keymap=qwerty splash=silent vga=0 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr

10) copy and paste the following into a new file geexbox-generator-1.1-rc2.i386\makeiso.cmd

@ECHO OFF
SET CDTITLE="Dual Boot"
SET CDFILENAME="dualboot\MyCD.ISO"
SET SOURCE_DIR="dualboot\MYISO"
tools\win32\mkisofs -v -iso-level 4 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long -R -volid %CDTITLE% -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -allow-multidot -hide boot.catalog -o %CDFILENAME% %SOURCE_DIR%

11) run again geexprep.cmd, this time it will give you no errors

12) run makeiso.cmd

13) test the resulting mycd.iso, the option for Geexbox should work as on the original .iso

14) now get your (working) BartPE or XP cd, copy from it the (at least) \I386 directory (and all its contents) to \dualboot\myiso\

15) copy all the files on the root of the CD to \dualboot\myiso\

16) run again makeiso.cmd

17) test the resulting mycd.iso, both options should work

As always, please do respect my "CAREWARE" license:

http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.net/careware.html

and have fun....;)

jaclaz