having problem with the product key

quangdaika

I bought a Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Premium. Decided I want to go back to XP Pro. Then decided that I should go back to vista. Instead of putting in the Toshiba Recovery CD. I decided to run vlite on the upgrade DVD and install from that instead.

I put in the vlite Vista DVD and chose custom install without putting in the product key. After installation. I put in the DVD again and chose upgrade but this time put in the product key. Now Vista say that I have the wrong product key.

What I'm I doing wrong?

thanks

I bought a Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Premium. Decided I want to go back to XP Pro. Then decided that I should go back to vista. Instead of putting in the Toshiba Recovery CD. I decided to run vlite on the upgrade DVD and install from that instead.

I put in the vlite Vista DVD and chose custom install without putting in the product key. After installation. I put in the DVD again and chose upgrade but this time put in the product key. Now Vista say that I have the wrong product key.

What I'm I doing wrong?

thanks

If you use xp and upgrade to vista, your XP cd key is no longer valid, and i think when you update to vista again it will not work since when you upgraded to vista your voided your xp cdkey. So you can really only upgrade once i think.... I will look for a source later if needed.

Edited by Avien

What I'm I doing wrong?

thanks

If you use xp and upgrade to vista, your XP cd key is no longer valid, and i think when you update to vista again it will not work since when you upgraded to vista your voided your xp cdkey. So you can really only upgrade once i think.... I will look for a source later if needed.

No I didn't use the XP product key. I used the product key that come with the laptop. It was under the bottom of the laptop.

Toshiba recover cd?with vista right ?premium? oke..

Upgrade DVD?? explain is that the same as the recovery cd??

Upgrade to what excactly? upgrade from xp to vista?

And you say the Vista lite made dvd installed fine without the serial? and why was that? Why did you not put in your serial at the install??

My question is this..witch dvd did you use to make the vlite edition..the one that came with your laptop or another?

Update this information !

Edited by studio48

maybe you install the wrong edition of Vista on the laptop... If the CD-key is genuine, it should work without problem. and AFAIK, using Vista upgrade DVD doesn't require you to enter your CD-key, am I right?

Maybe the Key is not for an upgrade version but just for an OEM clean install, that's why the maker gives you a recovery dvd so the system gets installed as a clean full install.

that's maybe right too... but with my past experience with DELL Laptop, which have the OS Recovery CD, but uses WinXP Pro, I didn't have to enter the CD-key, never! That makes me wonder... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe the Key is not for an upgrade version but just for an OEM clean install, that's why the maker gives you a recovery dvd so the system gets installed as a clean full install.

That's probably it.

Sounds like you're trying to upgrade from XP to Vista using a "clean install" key. I think retail version keys will upgrade AND clean install, but OEM keys will only clean install...