Reinstalling Windows XP Home

Heartofgold

I have a Hp Pavilion computer. It has a partition on it for recovery. After I brought it, I made four more partitions for music, files etc. The computer has been acting up and I want to redo it. When i try to recover it, it won't do it. It says that I can't because I made partitions on it.

I have a friend's copy of the Windows XP Home. When i load it, it says that the only place it can install Windows is in H:Recovery partition.

How do I reformat my hard drive so I can reload windows and also can I use my friend's disk to load it but use my verication number from my computer.

Reformatting should be a last resort. Too many users decide to simply reformat when the smallest thing goes wrong and the next time it happens they don't know any better.

So what's the problem?

What I would do is:

- Download and install Acronis Disk Director and Acronis True Image

- Format the recovery partition, merge it with one of your other partitions

- Make an image of your active partition (make sure it just has the OS and program folders on it), save it to another HDD (internal or external) or to DVDs.

- Build the Acronis Rescue Media Boot CD and burn it to a CD.

The next time some critical goes wrong with your OS, you will have the Rescue Media to boot from, point to your image and restore your OS within 5 minutes.

I made four more partitions for music, files etc.

How do I reformat my hard drive so I can reload windows

I'm curious how you were able to make 4 partitions but you don't know how to reformat. What tool did you use ?

What's the exact message when you try to recover ?

Maybe making the 1st partition big enough for XP to be installed could solve your problem.