upgrading from millenium

jimbobillybob

*If I'm wrong, pleaes correct me*

isn't XP home like XP PRO, doen't have a upgrade version and full install version? aren't they together? If not, then i'm wrong.

If you want to buy a upgrade version of XP home, you don't need to reformat you hard drive, in fact, if you format you hard drive, you won't be able to install a upgrade version, you just start windows ME, pop in the CD, follow the wizard, then your computer well be running as XP home in about 30 minute:D

[i:b9469f2aef]Originally posted by noincher [/i:b9469f2aef]

[bin fact, if you format you hard drive, you won't be able to install a upgrade version, you just start windows ME, pop in the CD, follow the wizard, then your computer well be running as XP home in about 30 minute:D [/quote:b9469f2aef]

If he formats, he doesn't have ME on his hard drive.

Anyway, XP Upgrade can be installed on an empty hard drive. When you start XP installation from the BIOS or boot floppy (win98) the setup will ask you for media to prove you had a previous version. So when it does prompt you, take out XP CD, put in ME CD, click OK/Next, Setup checks the CD, then it will ask you to put the XP CD back in.

Uh yah he'll lose everything but all you have to do is reinstall apps and games back, save his data that he wants to save.................So much easier than doing a upgrade. WAY TO MANY promblems can and have happen when upgrading. Alot of system drivers and files are dragged over. NEVER DO UPGRADE.

-XPerties

If he formats, he doesn't have ME on his hard drive.

Anyway, XP Upgrade can be installed on an empty hard drive. When you start XP installation from the BIOS or boot floppy (win98) the setup will ask you for media to prove you had a previous version. So when it does prompt you, take out XP CD, put in ME CD, click OK/Next, Setup checks the CD, then it will ask you to put the XP CD back in. [/quote:824156a696]

If you install the xp update on a fresh hard drive as long as you have the 98 cd...then whats the point of buying the full version? ( well unless you dont have the 98 cd)

-drew

It makes more sense to do a fresh install.You obviously want to run XP now,so there's no point in just doing an upgrade.If you just do an upgrade all your ME system files,etc will stay sitting idly on your drive and taking up space.

To reiterate the previous posts - but perhaps more coherently ( :-) )

Fdisk the whole lot - and get your disk partitions how you want them. The boot from your 'upgrade cd' for XP and do a clean install. You will be asked for your previous OS cd - just sticj the sucker in the CD drive and let it authenticate - and go from there. Once XP is installed - reinstall all your apss etc. and you will be good to go. You really do not want to 'save' anything from your 'me' installation - as 'me' is a big old piece 'o CRAP.

LS

I have to confer with the previous posters on the upgrading using the fresh/clean install of XP whether its the upgrade or full version, by all means do it as a fresh install. That's it nuff said, goodbye.

is that your final answer?

I would like to use my lifeline and call Bill Gates,

ring ring, yes bill here, bIll regis here from who wants to be a.....[/quote:43fdc33fd3]

aa you get the picture,

Big Booger :flush

My vote is a clear install too, if you have too many stuffs you want to keep, you can burn it into a CD(CD-RW is better, so you can erace it after) or if you don't have a burner, then... you have to upgrade(upgrade is not a good choice, don't know why M$ recomends upgrade:assshake:rolleyes::poke:ohno:grenade:flush:behead:blueteam)

Make a partition of your current HDD, set the partition to NTFS, move your crap over to that partition, then reboot the machine with your XP disk in the drive, making sure to set your BIOS to read the CDROM first, beforehand, then format the old OS partition, and install XP as stated in the aforementioned posts.

Big Booger