Server 2003 x64 R2 and SP2 (Merging It All Together)

Hi Everyone!

I know this is a hot topic these days so I figured we might be able to figure this out once and for all!!!I have been going crazy the last few days trying to figure this out.

I have Server 2003 x64 /w SP1 and am using an R2 key. I have the second CD (R2) as well.

I have been determined to figure out how to most efficiently merge R2 into a Unattended DVD and then have SP2 Applied.

Here is what I have learned:

If you Copy CD2 into CD1 and run the install, once you log into the system for the first time it will automatically start the R2 Install (Because my original key is an R2 Key). It will then ask you to continue the install of R2 by clicking next and all the screens that go with it.

Once R2 is completely installed you can manually apply SP2 just fine.

Here is the kicker, R2 MUST be installed prior to SP2. If you Integrate SP2 then copy the entire contents of CD2 over after R2 completely fails to Install. There is a message that R2 is not compatible with that service pack.

So Here is what my Objectives are:

----

I would like to have R2 either Integrated into the original install (True Integration) so then you should be able to Integrate SP2 right after it. Or the Second option is to have R2 to complete it's install silently during first login (Or even Prior to First Login) so when I call up my programs in "GUIRunOnce" in the Winnt.sif I can also include SP2 as the last programt o run as it will reboot the system and seal the deal.

----

I did find the command line's for R2 to do a 100% Silent install but I am unable to run them before Windows Starts R2 install by it's self as the same time GUIRunOnce Begins running.

So, is there a way to disable the auto install of R2 by windows (I know I could use a non R2 Key but that is not what I am trying to achieve) or is there a point before GUIRunOnce that I can start the Silent Command line for R2 Install so when you log into Windows the first time it will see R2 is already installed and HOPEFULLY should not even pop up anything on the screen (Will just pass over it).

I am at a loss on this one. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I know the answer is there but I am just not seeing it.

Thank You Very Much!!!

I think I have a solution! :thumbup

I just need to run another two installs to make sure everything goes smooth but I found a way to disable the Auto Install during first log-in. Actually I stumbled into it and got REALLY excited! :thumbup

So we will see how tonight goes and I will have more information. :whistle:

Ok, What we have to do is fail the R2 Install during COMMANDLINES.TXT so when Windows Logs-in the first time it is not the first time it has seen R2 so it will not even make a peep about it.

Then, during GUIRunOnce call up a Batch File with the EXACT same silent install.

The reason it fails was evident in the LOG file I found at the root, It said the system needs to reboot before applying the update (Sound Familiar?). So when it reboots and you send the Silent install command the second time it works!!!!

I will provide more info but I have covered the basics here. :hello:

Edited by X-Savior

It's good someone is working with this. I downloaded the x64 SP2 evaluation the other day...its actualy x64 SP2, R2...the initial windows server 2003 has SP2 integrated. after the install you have to install R2 yet...so it shouldn't matter whether or not R2 is installed before or after SP2...just a heads up.

Hey There,

Well, What I have found is that if you have Server 2003 x64 SP1 you MUST have R2 Installed prior to SP2. :wacko:

I assumed this would be fixed with a new SP2 version. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I have it all working perfect now. :thumbup

I will give a step-by-step very soon. I am just working out a few details with some of the new Hotfixes. Otherwise I have it install Server Unattended and then R2, then the AMD Optiomizer's & Direct X then finish it all off with SP2 with an automatic restart.

It is working much better then I had originally intended. :blink:

I just want to make sure my method is fully tested before I publish anything. You never know what else might pop up. :whistle:

Ok, Things look good but right now I have SP2 being install manually (I just run the setup). We need to find out the silent install switches for SP2 and the entire install with be unattended in the correct order.

Anyone have any leads on x64 SP2 Silent Install yet? Anything we can work from?

I think I will be in the same boat, but need to ask a question...

I have Windows Server 2003 x64 w/SP1 (1 CD given by a customer).

He says it is R2, but how can I tell? I see no indication that it is R2.

I just received CD2, which says R2 when I put it in a server.

I guess my question is, does applying/installing the second CD, turn my server into the R2 version?

Yes, Normally if you install with an R2 CD Key witht he original Server Install then it will ask at first boot for the second CD and continue the install.

But I have learned that you can provide an R2 cd-key at the command line for the silent install if your original key is not R2.

I am using an R2 Key so this was causing my problems.

I am putting the finish ing touches and will post my Step-by-Step tomorrow night. But I have solved everything but a silent way to install SP2. Anyone have any luck yet finding any commandline options to initiate unattended install of it?

I must have an R2 key as well as after my unattended install it prompts for CD2,

but I reboot automatically anyways and the prompt never comes back.

I need to hear back from the customer if they want R2 or not.

I baked SP2 into 2003 Enterprise using nLite, along with a bunch of other drivers etc, so I have never

had a reason to need a silent install of SP2.

Could you not copy CD2 over CD1, then slipstream SP2 into that source?

No, That does not work.

That was the first approach I had. First of all R2 can not be Slipstreamed. R2 is not like a service pack or anything. If you copy both disc's together all it will do is just launch the R2 install at first boot automatically.

But here is the problem. It does that WHILE GUIRunOnce is going. So you have your GUIRunOnce installing and then there is R2 blasting through everything and installing. It is not a good situation.

Now, if you Integrate SP2 into the Original install when you actually lauch the R2 install it will tell you it is not compatible with that version of Server.

So do NOT Slipstream SP2. I figured out how to Silently install SP2 so during GUIRunOnce each program, SP2 and R2 each gets its turn to Install without Interfering with each other and I can control the order they install in to make sure there is no conflicts. Then a single reboot and everything is complete. :thumbup

Hey There,

I don't think so. This is what I am trying to say. You have headed down a one-way street when you Slipstreamed SP2. This is why I abandoned this method VERY early. These programs HAVE to install in that order (R2 THEN SP2).

Otherwise R2 will launch, look just fine and then a little ways into the install with give you an error telling you it is not compatible and exit. :wacko:

This is what drove me insane to begin with... :wacko::realmad:

So I spent about 8 - 10 Hours Investigating other options and trying different installs. This is the result of about 20 Different variations of my install to create something that actually works 100%. :whistle:

(I am sorry for my delays, I have been very short on time to sit down and get all the info together to post it... It will not be much longer, I am hoping to run one more trial on VMWare and I will be satisfied.) :thumbup

Edited by X-Savior

just slipstream sp2 into the second cd like you would with windows 2003 cd1 than you would have windows 2003 R2 with SP2.

than you can copy cd 2 into the root of the first cd and start the install however you like ....

Edited by methodguy

If its that easy I might try that as I am nervous about my method (sliptream SP2 onto SP1, then R2 can't install),

just in case the customer comes back some day and wants R2.

Can you verify that this works?

Just slipstream SP2 on the R2 CD, copy it over CD1 and all is good?