Problems when combining RIS and WDS

Hello All,

I searched the forums for anything to do with my issue and did not find one so I am posting, I did not search every one.

If you also frequent the TechNet forum you might see this issue posted there too. They are not as quick to respond so I am posting it here.

Here is my problem:

I have a RIS deployment server up and running, works great, no issues on any motherboard. I installed the WAIK and BDD2007 March version, updated the RIS to WDS and I have created the images I want to use to deploy to systems and everything I think is setup right. I have my install images and boot images setup in WDS. I restart the services and try to load an image on a clean system. I get the PXE prompt and I tap F12 to get to the OS chooser, I choose the Vista (x86) to install it then brings up the black screen with the green progress bar scrolling across the screen and that is where it sits for hours on end. I do not know what I did wrong. I had setup a clean server to deploy Vista images before and it worked great, no problem and no issues. This is really weird, I do not think I did anything wrong but the result is showing me I did not complete a step somewhere. So each server works fine individually but when I combine them the Vista install side does not work, the RIS side however does work fine. Please ask if I did not include enough info or if you need more clarification.

Simply put, I get past the OS chooser then the system will stall forever on the black screen with the green progress bar going across. It seems to me that the server is not allowing the system to get the list of Vista images so I can pick one. Any ideas??

C.

Hi,

personally, I am using RIS and WDS (mixed mode) at the same time with no issues, so I cant say that I have the same issues as described.... however, I have seen where WinPE halts (unexpectedly) at the same prompt as u describe! When it did that for me, I rebuilt the very same WinPE image from scratch and everything went workin again! No final solution or explenation. Redo. You have prolly done it 20 times already but anyway....

Hope it does it for you... otherwise, no clue.

Thank you both for responding, I have a question for both of you. With the RIS server setup already, what did you do to get the WDS server working? Did you just update to SP2 and then install the BDD2007, WAIK, and the WD services? Then did you just start adding images to the BDD, create your builds then deployment point and then add images to the WDS? I will try to remove all of the images and boot images and start over again to see if there was something I missed. Hmm, it is pretty frustrating when I can run RIS on one system and have it work fine and then run WDS on a different system and have everything work fine but together which should work fine it does not. I will let you all know what happens.

Thank you for your time.

C

Edited by Compulsion

Hi,

since im only using RIS and WDS in a test environment at the moment i will explain the process i went through.

1.Installed 2003 Server and setup all the pre-reqs to run RIS. (AD,DHCP, ETC)

2.Installed 2003 Server R2

3.Added a RIS Image

4.Installed 2003 Server SP2

5.Configured WDS

6.Added images etc

This worked perfectly first time and when u do a network PXE boot you get the option to select between Remote Installation Services and and WDS Boot Images you have added.

Hi,

since im only using RIS and WDS in a test environment at the moment i will explain the process i went through.

1.Installed 2003 Server and setup all the pre-reqs to run RIS. (AD,DHCP, ETC)

2.Installed 2003 Server R2

3.Added a RIS Image

4.Installed 2003 Server SP2

5.Configured WDS

6.Added images etc

This worked perfectly first time and when u do a network PXE boot you get the option to select between Remote Installation Services and and WDS Boot Images you have added.

See thats what is weird, I setup everything like you did and I do get the PXE boot with F12 and it gives me a list of Vista 32-bit, Vista 64-bit images or RIS. So I select Vista 32-bit or Vista 64-bit and the system just stalls at the before mentioned screen. The RIS side works just fine. Well, I have removed all of the Vista images and then used BDD2007 to redo them and still the same thing.

I have another quick question: Did you use the BDD2007 when you installed the images or did you just install the images through the WDS?

Thank you for your response, it is very helpful.

Edited by Compulsion

• 2 weeks later...

Bump...

Sorry about that, I need to know something about the process everyone has used to get WDS working. I have done a clean install of Windows Server 2003 Standard and I configed the server for DNS, DHCP, and RIS. I am in the middle of updating to R2 and I wanted to know if everyone is using BDD2007 to prepare the images before loading them into the WDS? Any other tips they might have that would be helpful please do not hesitate to post.

Ok, now I am getting a stupid error: Active Directory Schema issue and I can not get Adprep /forestprep to work. How messed up is this? So what can I do at this point but reinstall it all over again because now the server will not come up....

Edited by Compulsion

Hehe, love the double reply mate!! I do know what you mean, with a clean install there should not be any issues. I am in the process of completing the fresh install and once I figure out the Active directory issue I will try this again. I am still fairly new at server admin stuff so please bear with me. :blink:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ok so I feel like a total newbie, I have been using this motherboard for sometime now and it has worked fine so there wasn't a thought that the network connection was bad. Well the network port on the MB is bad and will not work now. So I decided to try this install on a different motherboard and wouldn't you know, it worked. Hmm what wasn't I thinking?? Never depend 100% on one piece of hardware, it will make or break you. Now everything is working fine, my images are installing and I am happy. If anyone needs to know how to install Windows XP using RIS on a nVidia NF4, 590, 680i based motherboard let me know, I can help you as my images work just fine on network install so far. This process has been tested on several motherboards.

Edited by Compulsion

I had the same problem, rebuilding the PE image seems to fix it though. With all the problems WDS has I'm about to throw the whole thing out and go back to ghost, at least that works.