XP And Vista explorer.exe question

I have XP Pro and Vista Home Premium, would I be able to replace the Windows XP explorer.exe with Windows Vista's?

By placing Vista's explorer.exe into an explorer.ex_ then putting it into the windows XP source.

Would XP be able to start normally?

Edited by FrozenBlade

I have XP Pro and Vista Home Premium, would I be able to replace the Windows XP explorer.exe with Windows Vista's?

By placing Vista's explorer.exe into an explorer.ex_ then putting it into the windows XP source.

Would XP be able to start normally?

Simple no it will not work. Vista is completely different then XP.

I actually tried it in a VM just to see what would happen - explorer.exe on XP crashed right out of the gate, and even after getting it to run, it called exports in dll files on XP that did not exist (but do in vista versions of these .dlls). You'd have to replace the entire GUI (and you'd also have to be running IE7) to even have a chance of this working properly, would be my guess.

Ah, well thanks for the heads up, I will play about and see what happens, I already have IE7, Vista Icons and some Vista system files in my XP after adapting them, if I can get the Vista explorer working without editing it too much I should be able to achieve Aero in XP.